Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent podcast! Great information...I highly recommend listening to it.

“Today we are talking with Dr. Karen Mossman, now in self isolation, who is a professor of pathology and molecular medicine and vice president of research at McMaster University.

She talks about what it took to isolate the virus, what creating a vaccine entails and what is giving her hope about all the work being done.”

https://www.thestar.com/podcasts/th...9-virus-explains-the-fight-for-a-vaccine.html

Podcast only;

https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/4/3/5/43...85605629&hwt=406e0d0edb9bd5f6a190d4408ed7bf10

Anyone know why the F@H app, at times, just quits awarding points? My computer has been humming for over 24 hours, completed quite a few work units, and the log shows each unit completed/accepted/estimated points awarded, but my point total hasn't moved in over a day... about 25,000 points worth not showing. User name and team unchanged from when it was updating correctly.

I'm sure it's still doing good for the cause, and I just leaving it running. But it does make me wonder why it isn't updating.
The word on FAH has gone out over so many outlets that I’m sure the thing has hit some number where it became self-aware.

The bidet seat I bought is amazing. Don’t know why I waited so long to jump into this technology. TP use down like 80% here as a result.
My nightmare is that on first use one of those things will pressure washer blast a nugget right through the 5 hole and into my mouth.

My nightmare is that on first use one of those things will pressure washer blast a nugget right through the 5 hole and into my mouth.
Everyone should give it a try. Start with a cheap one and if you like it replace it with a nicer one.

When people ask me about it, I always tell the story of the gentleman who one day decides to treat himself to a bar of Hershey’s during his office lunch. However, work calls and he gets busy. He gets back home and is getting changed when he remembers the chocolate. He gleefully opens it but it’s soft now from being in his pocket all day. While opening it, he gets it all on his fingers. Does he take a dry wipe to wipe it off or does he wash his hands?

A couple of docs on the tube are saying that what we'll really need for masks will be in the billions very soon.
I think the worst aspect of Covid-19 is how you can carry and spread it around for well over a week before
you feel any symptoms.

Doctors, nurses, techs, firemen, policemen, EMTs, etc. have to treat every civilian as if they are infected.
As the numbers grow so will the paranoia I fear. Already you're seeing a little 'every state for themselves'
creeping in.

Those cruise ships that can't find a state that will allow them to dock....... :(

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/covid-19/

1291 patients treated with Hydrodychloroquine+Azithromycin, 1 (one) deceased. Italy is starting to treat at the onset of symptoms. Russia is starting a study using their variant of malaria drug. Hoo boy, a bunch of people are about to eat a huge humble pie.
Hope it works. My friend (on a ventilator) is on Day 4 of the above meds and NO improvement yet.
I believe they are giving him a 5 day treatment of it.

I’ll be happy to eat my words regarding Hydrodychloroquine. I could only comment on the data I had at the time. You won’t hear me complaining if lives are being saved.

I know what I said before, in response to @BaronVonGrim about whether this outbreak was an intentional biowarfare attack.

I strongly hold that it wasn't. That explanation, to me, doesn't make any sense, and I said as much, here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/help-the-fight-against-covid-19.159129/post-1913754

However, I also read this:
https://news.yahoo.com/suspected-sa...k-144526820.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=fb
...about which I had not been previously aware.

Does that change my view about the current outbreak? Nope. This is either entirely natural, or at worst, a naturally-evolved bug that got loose from storage.

But it does make me think some bad guys wanted to have the option of a biowarfare already in place in case they wanted to use it...or else, to test the defenses, as a preface to doing so. Either way, it's unsurprising, but irritating...and all the more reason to distance ourselves, at the supply-chain/manufacturing level, from any country with that kind of government. And I hope the rest of the world does likewise. (Obviously I feel bad for the people, who have no say in their government, and will have fewer jobs after this kind of disconnect. But I know of no other way to disincentivize bad behavior in the government.)

Plenty of time to worry about that after the current epidemic is concluded, I suppose and hope.

Apparently it was somewhat more backlogged than I thought... about 80,000 points behind. They just showed up. Win for Fractal Forumites!

That stats page is notoriously lousy.

I'm okay with it since it's not really the point to 'keep score'.

Just hope it's doing some good.

R

From what I've seen. Chloroquine and all it's derivatives clearly have some effect on early onset cases. Not all by any means, but it does help some people.

Nobody ever said it was the cure (outside of the un-educated), but there is some efficacy in alleviation of early onset symptoms. Does it help? I don't know. It still smells like snake oil to me, but it does seem like it works in some cases. Again, no cure, but if can hold off the worst of the disease while the body can garner a fight, then it's a win.

R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom