Rotovibe/ Univibe sounds

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys. I love Univibe and rotovibe tones but I’ve struggled to really get that squishy pulsating tone happening on the Axe Fx 2. I’d love to hear any tips and suggestions.

Here’s a shoot out between a couple of pedals that really nail the sound I’m after. Enjoy....

I've been using these settings since 2011 (based on several boutique Univibe clones I used to have back then), it didn't take much adjusting:

Vibe mode:
VIBE.jpg
ATTENTION!!! The Phaser parameter should be set to "Vibe" (instead of "Normal")!!!

Vibrato mode:
VIBRATO.jpg

Adjust the Level and Tone to your taste (depending on the guitar, the rest of your preset etc) and fine tune the Depth for your needs. Ignore my Rate values, I have a modifier so I can control it via exp pedal.

See if those do the job and take it from there.

Last edited:
Legend. Thanks mate. I’ll give this a shot and see what I think. I’m really trying to get that colourful, squishy, rich throbbing thing happening. It’s such a mesmerising sound and I hope like crazy I can nail it.

And I like the idea of having expression control of the rate like an original Univibe unit. I’ll go for that too.

Legend. Thanks mate. I’ll give this a shot and see what I think. I’m really trying to get that colourful, squishy, rich throbbing thing happening. It’s such a mesmerising sound and I hope like crazy I can nail it.

No worries, I hope you nail the sound you're after! If those settings don't do it for you just experiment whith one setting at a time so you know how it affects the sound or/and the behaviour.

And I like the idea of having expression control of the rate like an original Univibe unit. I’ll go for that too.

Yeah, most of my vibes had exp pedals so I couldn't do otherwise. In fact since I was so used of using several analog ones I even assign an X/Y switch where X will be the Vibe mode and Y the Vibrato mode, again just like my fav analog vibes.

So, it felt (and still feels) like home. A switch to engage/disengage the effect, a switch to set the mode and an exp pedal for the for the speed (rate). ;)

I've been using these settings since 2011 (based on several boutique Univibe clones I used to have back then), it didn't take much adjusting:

Vibe mode:
View attachment 65413

One thing I've noticed that strikes me as odd is that you have the Phaser Mode parameter on the Advanced page set to normal for your "Vibe" setting. Is this deliberate?

Eeeek! The problem is my Axe is with the G66 service guys and gals right now so I really can't verify anything but yeah, I see your point. I'll have to get back to you on that, meanwhile lets hope someone else will chime in.

EDIT: I found several of even older screen captures, it's always "Normal" for me in the Vibe mode. I guess that what sounded better or closer to me (I wish I had my Axe2 here with me so I could check and remember what the difference between Normal and Vibe is). YMMV so try different settings until the sound and behaviour is right to you.

Last edited:
Ok guys I've been experimenting like crazy. I'm still finding that squishyness hard to come by. Univibe is quite a complex sound and a great one really grabs your attention. I've struggled to get it to not sound like just another phaser. I can get the throb using the bulb bias control but the squishy aspect of the sound is being somewhat hard to nail.

I've experimented with the frequency start parameter and I'm setting it at about 1000. But I'm also having to engage the Feedback Tap to get closer to it. It doesn't seem as though the Frequency Span or Tone parameters make a huge difference to what I'm hearing. If anyone else has any settings or a patch they're happy to share then I'm be more than happy to try it out. But here's what I've got so far. Give it a shot and let me know if it works for you.

By the way my Phaser runs in parallel hence why the mix is set to 100.

Univibe Rotovibe attempt.jpg

One thing I've noticed that strikes me as odd is that you have the Phaser Mode parameter on the Advanced page set to normal for your "Vibe" setting. Is this deliberate?

And you were correct!!! Got my Axe back, tested both values and it should be Vibe instead!!! The only explaination on my side is that the last time I was experimenting with this effect I saved this state by mistake. Come to think of it, I hadn't used a vibe in years...

The rest of the values are correct (to my taste), the only other difference is that on Vibe mode I tend to set the Tone to 3 (I was using low output SSS when I was using it more often, nowadays I am a HHH single coil size humbucker guy) or higher while I leave it at 0 on Vibrato mode (which is way more transparent by nature anyway).

Ok guys I've been experimenting like crazy. I'm still finding that squishyness hard to come by. Univibe is quite a complex sound and a great one really grabs your attention. I've struggled to get it to not sound like just another phaser. I can get the throb using the bulb bias control but the squishy aspect of the sound is being somewhat hard to nail.

I've experimented with the frequency start parameter and I'm setting it at about 1000. But I'm also having to engage the Feedback Tap to get closer to it. It doesn't seem as though the Frequency Span or Tone parameters make a huge difference to what I'm hearing. If anyone else has any settings or a patch they're happy to share then I'm be more than happy to try it out. But here's what I've got so far. Give it a shot and let me know if it works for you.

By the way my Phaser runs in parallel hence why the mix is set to 100.

View attachment 65889
Try putting a Face Fuzz , then a chorus(set it to dimension1 and mix at 40%) and then the phaser set to 40% mix, rate at 1.9 depth at 5.5 and tone at 10. then your amp and cab etc. works for me

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom