Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they directly exposed to infected people all day. Ever had a sudden sneeze?
Use your common sense. If a deadly virus is found to be airborne the entire country would
get completely shut down overnight. People in power wouldn't be thinking about economies.

Please, do not begin with my common sense.
You are the one minimizing the risk of a deadly virus.

Just read the article. Each his beliefs.

Forgot to post this yesterday. Tom Collichio was on saying he believes that without immediate help the restaurant industry will probably be gutted by about 75%. During the interview he noted that next to the federal government, the food service industry is the second leading employer in the US. Need to check on this.

Corona virus survives on cruise ship 17 days in empty cabins.

That's not what the article says.
This is how news bonfires get started.

How so? If it is airborne and we're not being told you have lots of others to point fingers at rather than me.

The only decent study on the matter is the one from the NEJM that was in the news everywhere last week. It measured aerosol viability in the lab for 3 hours. However, according to physicians in the field, there doesn't seem to be much airborne transmission actually occurring.

From the CDC report:
SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020). Although these data cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces, further study of fomite transmission of SARS-CoV-2 aboard cruise ships is warranted.

in other news, in NZ we are going into a 4 week lock down tonight. With 155 confirmed cases, many of them attributed to air travel, I hope this is soon enough.

My company's IT department relocated all of us (over 1000 people) into work from home in less than a week. An amazing job, absolute legends! We're making VFX, so it's a bit more complicated than grabbing a laptop and going home... I have my stuff set up and running since yesterday and love it.

View attachment 65411
Cool! You work for Weta, I'm guessing?

Forgot to post this yesterday. Tom Collichio was on saying he believes that without immediate help the restaurant industry will probably be gutted by about 75%. During the interview he noted that next to the federal government, the food service industry is the second leading employer in the US. Need to check on this.

it does say that the virus was thought to live up to 9 days on some surfaces and that rna was found 17 days after the ship was empty. they are not sure if you can still get the virus at that point.

potential to be a problem is there, ignoring that is what starts bonfires.

CNN has been on top of this since early January.

Not sure how that elicits laughter.
Sorry, had some old relicate against CNN due to certain misinformation on a period long ago, but things can change. Also this information is confirmed by other sources. I deleted my bad post.

Reactions: yek
The only decent study on the matter is the one from the NEJM that was in the news everywhere last week. It measured aerosol viability in the lab for 3 hours. However, according to physicians in the field, there doesn't seem to be much airborne transmission actually occurring.

This is what I'm reading too. I'd imagine the lab test was done in a clean room. In the real world with the air constantly moving it seems to disipate really quick. My RN sister said the easiest way to understand it is to get a can of air fresher and spray it. You can feel the spray rain down and then any hard surface it lands on stays wet for a short period - density of the surface is key since it doesn't seem to survive under normal conditions on cloth or paper.

The pneumatic aspect it the wetness you can feel in the air and then on stuff.
The aerosol aspect is what you can continue to smell after everything has dried.
Covid is too heavy to stay suspended by itself like the scent can.

Their almost nightly town halls hosted by Dr. Gupta, and with guests like Dr. Fauci answering call-in questions,
have become must see TV in my house.

Last edited:
Sorry, had some old relicate against CNN due to certain misinformation on a period long ago, but things can change. Also this information is confirmed by other sources. I deleted my bad post.

No worries. It’s just that in times like this REAL and fact-based Information that is disseminated to the public is VITAL.

A global depression is likely. All the stimulus in the world won't destroy the virus and the virus is the problem. So either people stay home and businesses suffer and fail or you go back to normal life and millions or even billions die.
You can print money. You can't print lives.
Leaders need to keep their eyes on the ball, and if they can't, they need to defer to the ones who have their eyes on the ball. What is the ball? Massive quantities of unnecessary deaths.
(gets off soapbox)

You can print money. You can't print lives.
Leaders need to keep their eyes on the ball, and if they can't, they need to defer to the ones who have their eyes on the ball. What is the ball? Massive quantities of unnecessary deaths.
(gets off soapbox)
OK - just for instructive purposes, licking deodorant in Walmart is NOT keeping your eye on the ball (well...your tongue on the wrong ball but I digress).
https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles...cle_2e9d0fc7-b21a-5ebc-a8e9-cc181f3f3934.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom