loss of effect when I connect my volume pedal

eric2020

I have an ernyball VP JR volume pedal.

I connect my guitar directly in the input of the pedal, then from the output I go directly in my fractal axe FX II Plus , in the instrument connection.

When I bring the volume down, I'm loosing the quality of the effect.

Is there a way to connect the volume pedal directly in the MFC-101 , to ovoid this loss of signal ?

I just got my fractal system few weeks ago and still Learning how to configure everything.

Thank's for your help

so let me make sure i'm understanding you. you have a volume pedal and when you move the pedal to the toe up position, you lose signal. sounds to me like everything is working exactly as expected. because the volume pedal is in front of the amp block, you're reducing signal to it and the gain will reduce accordingly. if you want to adjust the volume without changing the gain, then you'll have to adjust the volume after the amp block. you typically to this with a "volume block" which you place into the grid and control it with an expression pedal either attached to your MFC, or plugged into the back of the axe fx into the "pedal" input. i will say though, that volume pedals don't work very well as expression pedals, because they are not linear and you won't get a very smooth transition across the pedal's travel.
setting up the mfc is quite complicated and i no longer have one, so refer to the manual, or perhaps a kind soul will help you in this thread.
in the meantime, plug the pedal into the back of the axe fx - you will need a "Y" cable with two mono jacks at one end and a stereo jack at the other. you will need to calibrate the pedal and then go into I/O midi and change "external 1" so it's set to "pedal 1". you can then assign external 1 to the volume parameter in a volume block (or any other parameter you like, maybe a wah, or delay mix etc)

I have an ernyball VP JR volume pedal.

I connect my guitar directly in the input of the pedal, then from the output I go directly in my fractal axe FX II Plus , in the instrument connection.

When I bring the volume down, I'm loosing the quality of the effect.

Is there a way to connect the volume pedal directly in the MFC-101 , to ovoid this loss of signal ?

I just got my fractal system few weeks ago and still Learning how to configure everything.

Thank's for your help
You’d need an expression pedal, not an analog volume pedal. As suggested a y-cable can be used but the performance isn’t as good compared to an actual expression pedal.

Simeon
as you said...the pedal does exactly what it should do. But as you said, that way I'm reducing the gain of the guitar who travel to the axe...I will test your connexion with the Y cable...so maybe the solution will be to get an expression pedal ...and everything will be perfect !!!

I just wanted to avoid an other 200-300 $ investment on my gears !!!..

Thank's for the information !!!

A volume pedal put before the Axe-Fx will reduce any 'dirt' in your tone before you hear a loss of volume.

One option to avoid this, you could put the volume pedal in the Axe-Fx 'loop' (Output and Input 2), and add an FxLoop block after the Amp block in the preset(s).

an other rookie question...

What is the best strategy when you want to have a very clean rythm sound on scene 1 ...and a big disto sound on scene 2 ? ...2 different lines with two different set of effects on each line ...or better to use two different patch side by side ?

Of course, an 'Expression' pedal would give you more options, Volume, Wah, Whammy, Delay levels, etc...

And you could pick up a very inexpensive one as no signal travels through it, so no signal loss is possible. But a better quality expression pedal (Fractal EV 1 or 2?) will last much longer and likely be smoother.

an other rookie question...

What is the best strategy when you want to have a very clean rythm sound on scene 1 ...and a big disto sound on scene 2 ? ...2 different lines with two different set of effects on each line ...or better to use two different patch side by side ?
Two different Amp blocks in parallel, bypass types set to 'Mute' so that only one will pass audio at a time. Two Cabs, also in parallel, one after each amp block, if one won't work for both tones? Add everything else (pre and post fx) that you will need for both tones in a single line. Then just have whatever blocks you like active in each scene. Also set the bypass types of any Delay/Reverb blocks to 'Mute Fx In' to preserve any 'tails' when they get bypassed.

Also, if you are handy with a soldering gun, or know someone that is, you can pretty easily convert that (or almost any) pedal into an expression pedal.

Moke... rookie question again ...

when you mention MUTE … is it when you double click to disengage the FX in the line

Moke... rookie question again ...

when you mention MUTE … is it when you double click to disengage the FX in the line
In the editor, yes.. or hit the space bar to bypass a block (turn on or off). Each block has different bypass (off) states, Mute, Thru, Mute Fx In, Mute In, etc... the manual and the Wiki has more info on this.

Go to scene 1, turn each block on or off as needed. Go to scene 2, turn each block on or off as needed. etc... save preset.

very good !

what is the best way to improve the substain on certain patches ?

I found that using the drive will improve the substain, but is there any specific FX to improve that ?

sometime I can see that the sound seem to down pretty quickly on certain patches… even with the factory patches

sometime I can see that the sound seem to down pretty quickly on certain patches… even with the factory patches
sustain is related to guitar setup and the volume you're playing at. if the string is physically vibrating less due to poor setup or dirty strings, nothing can increase sustain really.

very good !

what is the best way to improve the substain on certain patches ?

I found that using the drive will improve the substain, but is there any specific FX to improve that ?
Good guitar setup, more actual volume so that the guitar pickup/body can hear the speakers, Compressor block, more Drive... Noise Gate too aggressive can kill sustain,

Moke
Can you fit any expression pedal, or better to use the EV-1 from Fractal ?
Can you tell me which model would do the job ?
I Don't want any problem to set it up properly on my axe FX.

Back
Top Bottom