BREAKING NEWS: Kirk Hammett Loses to Mrs. Smith in Wah-Off

Whether people love the songs or not, Kirk has also written a lot of Metallicas bigger songs (as an example Entersandman was his rif and Lars arranged it). Is he a great live or even recorded player - debatable, has he co-written or provided the main basis of a lot of their music - yes. Metallica wouldn't be the band it is without Lars arranging the song ideas that James and Kirk bring to the table. It isn't about who can play the best, it is about who can write the music that sells.

Kirk also wrote the chorus of Master of Puppets. If you go to youtube and look for riffs that he contributed to the songs, it's pretty amazing and you'll have a new found respect for his work.

It's great to have a friend in a band who you connect with. But that friendship can also become a liability if your friend falls apart again. What if your friend starts abusing drugs or alcohol while in the band? Do you keep him in the band because of that friendship and all the drama that comes with it, or do you risk your friendship and tell him that for the good of the band its better he should go? Many a band has faced that dilemma and it has either caused the band to break up, or friendships to end. It's good to have people in your band who you feel you can trust and who are without prima donna behavior, but to invite a friend with a history of mental problems (based on what you've said), I'd be weary.

Then he better share. :)

In all seriousness, whatever band I put together in the future will be purely for the enjoyment of jamming with friends. I've got a great career, a mortgage, a wife and have zero drive or intention of doing anything outside of playing some local shows. To add, I prevented a suicide attempt of his a couple years ago. You tend to have a special bond with someone after you've broken into their home and shoved your fingers down their throat to prevent them from dying. My continued persistence and urging for him to pick up his guitar again has been one of the few things that makes him feel like someone cares. He's got zero family left as they've all passed on and he was an only child. The only time I see a glimpse of hope in him is when we start talking about doing band stuff. If making him my guitar player is something that'll keep him going, I don't care what he could do to mess it up, as long as he's still alive.

Is it because there are better technical shredders out there?
It's not even "shredding". Every time this guy bends a note or plays an arpeggio, I get a migraine. I can find eight year olds on YouTube who play better than Kirk Hammett. :)

It's not even "shredding". Every time this guy bends a note or plays an arpeggio, I get a migraine. I can find eight year olds on YouTube who play better than Kirk Hammett. :)
Many people do not get that ailment from listening to him so it works for the vast majority of the population. I would guess that a lot more people get migraines from listening to trash metal or rock guitar music in general, as they deem it unlistenable. The best cure is leave it out of your playlist.

"Many people" listen to Nickelback and Justin Bieber, too. I've been leaving them out of my playlist though.

Then he better share. :)

In all seriousness, whatever band I put together in the future will be purely for the enjoyment of jamming with friends. I've got a great career, a mortgage, a wife and have zero drive or intention of doing anything outside of playing some local shows. To add, I prevented a suicide attempt of his a couple years ago. You tend to have a special bond with someone after you've broken into their home and shoved your fingers down their throat to prevent them from dying. My continued persistence and urging for him to pick up his guitar again has been one of the few things that makes him feel like someone cares. He's got zero family left as they've all passed on and he was an only child. The only time I see a glimpse of hope in him is when we start talking about doing band stuff. If making him my guitar player is something that'll keep him going, I don't care what he could do to mess it up, as long as he's still alive.

If that is what you want to do and that kind of ambition is good enough for you I wish you the best of luck. Will it work? Time will tell. Sometimes I love to be proven wrong. Sometimes. ;)

I don't seem to suffer from the same affliction. I quite like some his solos, because as I said before, I can sing along with them. If anything its 99% of all the shredders out there who afflict me with a different ailment. One where I suffer from severe indifference. And serious bouts of meh. I reckon we all have our crosses to bear.

"Many people" listen to Nickelback and Justin Bieber, too. I've been leaving them out of my playlist though.

Smart thinking. Although while I get the Bieber hate, BIEBER MUST DIE!!!!, I never understood the Nickelback hate. Especially in this day and age of prepackaged electronic dance and rap crap we should be glad that there is at least one rock band enjoying popular success. For all their suckyness they might still serve as a gateway band leading for Nickelback fans to explore rock music and discover some actual rock music?

Many people do not get that ailment from listening to him so it works for the vast majority of the population. I would guess that a lot more people get migraines from listening to trash metal or rock guitar music in general, as they deem it unlistenable. The best cure is leave it out of your playlist.
I agree with all you said. I sometimes wonder why people seem to have to slam those who are successful. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves or something. They don't even realize how it really looks to other casual observers.

If that is what you want to do and that kind of ambition is good enough for you I wish you the best of luck. Will it work? Time will tell. Sometimes I love to be proven wrong. Sometimes. ;)

I don't seem to suffer from the same affliction. I quite like some his solos, because as I said before, I can sing along with them. If anything its 99% of all the shredders out there who afflict me with a different ailment. One where I suffer from severe indifference. And serious bouts of meh. I reckon we all have our crosses to bear.

Smart thinking. Although while I get the Bieber hate, BIEBER MUST DIE!!!!, I never understood the Nickelback hate. Especially in this day and age of prepackaged electronic dance and rap crap we should be glad that there is at least one rock band enjoying popular success. For all their suckyness they might still serve as a gateway band leading for Nickelback fans to explore rock music and discover some actual rock music?
Lol, I remember saying something similar about bands like Bon Jovi in the 80s. Get em hooked on that and they might discover Metallica. Hahaha

I'm no big fan of Kirk Hammett's lead work but he's always seemed like a pretty decent guy to me. He's always a good sport about the wah ribbing and this video is a perfect example of that - he's totally cool with some bizarre dude in old lady clothes out shredding him.

And he's certainly a way better guitar player than Lars is a drummer.

Sounds like something my father would say.

My friendship with someone I call my brother is more important to me than any gig. There’s really no luck or questioning of it “working” involved. I find more enjoyment writing music in my studio than playing live. My ambition is to write music without dealing the band BS. I’ve spent more than half my life playing in bands, playing bars, clubs and concert venues, chasing the dream. Some years were more successful than others and I was able to pay my bills doing it while working part time hours in restaurants, but I was constantly struggling financially and it took it’s toll. I have zero interest in doing any of that ever again, which is why putting a band together would strictly be for the fun of jamming with other people. If some gigs turn out of that as a result, cool beans. If not, I couldn’t care less.

My main focus is writing music, even if no one else ever hears it. 98.9% of my ambition is in that.

Sounds like something my father would say.

My friendship with someone I call my brother is more important to me than any gig. There’s really no luck or questioning of it “working” involved. I find more enjoyment writing music in my studio than playing live. My ambition is to write music without dealing the band BS. I’ve spent more than half my life playing in bands, playing bars, clubs and concert venues, chasing the dream. Some years were more successful than others and I was able to pay my bills doing it while working part time hours in restaurants, but I was constantly struggling financially and it took it’s toll. I have zero interest in doing any of that ever again, which is why putting a band together would strictly be for the fun of jamming with other people. If some gigs turn out of that as a result, cool beans. If not, I couldn’t care less.

My main focus is writing music, even if no one else ever hears it. 98.9% of my ambition is in that.

Nothing wrong with that kind of ambition.

I agree with all you said. I sometimes wonder why people seem to have to slam those who are successful. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves or something. They don't even realize how it really looks to other casual observers.

There's probably a lot of reasons. Some people are jealous of the success of others, and like crabs in a bucket pull those down who appear to be escaping the bucket. Some consider a band as their own personal thing, and when it becomes successful it feels like they are losing that personal connection. Some don't want to put in the hard work that it takes to become successful, so they accuse those that do of selling out. Some don't like the new musical direction of a band, and when that new direction leads to success they accuse them of selling out. And some don't like it when a band's newfound success gets to their heads and they become prima donnas. Who complain about fans downloading via Napster. And cut off their hair. And change their logos. And start wearing Armani suits. And start saying they were never a metal band to begin with.

Okay, those last ones were my gripes. Still, as long as a band doesn't become arrogant I can live with them becoming successful. There is no glory or honor to be found in being true to your music while still playing an empty bar for the bar regulars. And even the ones who bitch the most about sellout bands secretly dream of playing stadiums. With their true to theirselves music of course. It takes incredible hard work to become successful, anyone who made it big put in the effort, took the bad with the good to make it there, I can respect that. Even if their music is shite.

I'm not a big fan of Kirk's tone and his technique is sometimes sketchy but his solos on the album's I like are cool. I kinda feel the same about Lars, on the album's that I like, he sounds and plays great.
Now Hetfield's voice....that's an other issue. Its not bad or off pitch, just not the same anymore.

I'm not a big fan of Kirk's tone and his technique is sometimes sketchy but his solos on the album's I like are cool. I kinda feel the same about Lars, on the album's that I like, he sounds and plays great.
Now Hetfield's voice....that's an other issue. Its not bad or off pitch, just not the same anymore.

A friend of mine, who is a singer, told me he took singing lessons and his singing voice has changed because of it.

A friend of mine, who is a singer, told me he took singing lessons and his singing voice has changed because of it.
Yes, and that is why most people take singing lessons. Usually it improves the voice. In some cases it can tame the raw passion and aggression. I have a hunch if Hetfield hadn't taken some lessons he would sound a lot worse by now due to the damage incorporated from his old techniques. (Pun intended)

Go listen to Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets and tell me the solos aren't perfect for those songs.
Last thing Metallica needs is a virtuoso guitar player.
He's seems like a really nice guy and he's cool with poking fun at himself.
Plus, he's the keeper of Greeny!

maxresdefault.jpg

I never get these kind of threads... Kirk's not good enough for Metallica, that dude I saw during lunch had a wife who was way too hot for him, saw a guy driving a fancy sports car who doesn't have the driving skill to deserve it.... etc etc.

Like what is the point ??

Did I miss out on being in Metallica because they picked Kirk over me ? Would I be with that hot wife if she didn't marry her husband ? Did I try to buy that sports car and the guy got the last one minutes before me ? No...

These peoples success, luck, whatever you want to call it, in no way affects my position in life, to which, its rather meaningless worrying about it, no ?

Like what is the point ??

The point is that guitar players make for the worst audience. Everybody else has a good time, moshing it out, singing, clapping, guitar players on the other hand just stand there, arms folded across their chest with a look of 'his playing sucks' or 'that tone is crap' or 'I should be on that stage instead'. Unless the guitarplayer on stage is epically ahead of the pack. Like a Steve Vai. Being that massively outclassed the guitar player finally submits to the alpha and meekly joins the pack.

Yes, and that is why most people take singing lessons. Usually it improves the voice. In some cases it can tame the raw passion and aggression. I have a hunch if Hetfield hadn't taken some lessons he would sound a lot worse by now due to the damage incorporated from his old techniques. (Pun intended)
That is the fact here. His old style of singing was not sustainable.

Back
Top Bottom