Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have children, you may want to check this out.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...with-pediatrician-and-kids-health-expert.html

Live Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. ET: Coronavirus Q & A with pediatrician and kids health expert

"Toronto pediatrician and kids health expert Dr. Dina Kulik will join us for one hour at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 11 to answer your most pressing questions about the coronavirus with a special focus on children.

Kulik is the the founder and director of Kidcrew and works as an Emergency Medicine physician at The Hospital for Sick Children."

The Hospital for Sick Children, is world renowned for their care and research. I know from experience what a fantastic hospital this is. I can't say enough about the staff, they are so good at what they do and more importantly, they are all very caring and compassionate.

My son's high school just sent out an email.
It's actually proactive! I'm very pleased that they're planning ahead.
They're shutting the school down for a half a day to practice at home schooling via internet.
Smart, and couldn't come soon enough.
I'm hoping they shut the high school down by weeks end.

If my son was to bring the virus home, not only would we all be sick, we'd be unable to work.
I'm self employed, and can't make a dime in quarantine, nor can i service my clients.

There is some very irresponsible stuff being spewed by some media outlets, various leaders, some captains of industry, and even some medical professionals. I keep seeing people assert that the chances of getting this are low. That is a time-bounded assertion. Regardless of the current rate, the chances of getting this grow dramatically by treating this as if you're unlikely to get it.

And for those that are dwelling on the mortality rate, it doesn't matter what the mortality rate is because no matter what it is, the more people that get it, the more people will succumb to it. So the mortality rate being 10%, 3%, 2%, 0.5% or whatever has no bearing on the fact that being cavalier about this will result in more loss of life.

Yup. I don’t like this part of the statement even after the other things he said.

Is it time again to be the bad guy?: It's inevitable that people will die.
But we can decrease the number. He explains what is leading to even more deaths.
You have to look at the bigger picture.

good presentation of the data currently available:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/...gJH1QgAwhhw#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I think it's fairly safe to assume that the majority of the world's population will come in contact with it at some point unless everyone, everywhere goes into home isolation for 3 weeks right the fuck now (because you can't rule out being an asymptomatic carrier). But we know that's a bit unrealistic.
So the key seems to be to delay it as much as possible.

Given that California declared a state of emergency for this you'd think this would be a no brainer.
Had a call this morning with my kid's endocrinologist and she said young kids with T1D aren't in an elevated risk group so things feel slightly less stressful for us now.

Is it time again to be the bad guy?: It's inevitable that people will die.
But we can decrease the number. He explains what is leading to even more deaths.
You have to look at the bigger picture.
I agree that some people are indeed panicking.

But doing things to be prepared is what is leading to more death? Being tested is what’s causing people to die?

No. The VIRUS is what’s leading to deaths. The SPREAD of the virus is what’s causing more people to need testing. The state of unpreparedness and not taking this seriously is leading to the lack of facilities and tests to handle something like this.

South Korea created new methods for testing including drive thrus that didn’t exist before this all happened. That increase in preparedness is what’s leading to the numbers hopefully coming down at this point.

Lack of preparation or lack of facilities has never helped to solve a problem.

Do not fall into a false sense of security because a few people are saying “we got this everything is fine.” No matter how much you believe in these people for other reasons. Do your own research, put the dots together for yourself. The numbers are small before they are big. Complacency does not cure a virus.

But doing things to be prepared is what is leading to more death?

Depends on who does what to be 'prepared'.
Common people buying and even stealing protective gear and disinfectant, that is actually needed in hospitals. Already happening everywhere. No protective gear for doctors = no doctors, no doctors = no care for the sick and an increasing number of dead people.
Everyone with a common flu thinks they've got corona and want to be tested, when in most countrys there aren't enough capacities to test everyone. And not everyone has to be tested in general.

Bringing this back to the topic of "folding@home" for a moment...

I set up last night since my studio computer is idle most of the time. I noticed that in the web client it tells you what you're contributing to while a work package is running. Both of the work packages my system has done have been supporting cancer research according to the contribution notes. Is there a way to set it to contribute to specific things? Or is it more like "any of these packages could help any number of things"? I see there's an option to select certain categories, but "coronavirus" or "viral infections" or those types of things aren't there as options, it's more like "Alzheimer, Cancer, etc" and there's only 4 categories.

Not that I wouldn't want to contribute to those other research categories, but since the thread is about fighting COVID-19 I thought I'd ask.

Common people buying and even stealing protective gear and disinfectant, that is actually needed in hospitals. Already happening everywhere. No protective gear for doctors = no doctors, no doctors = no care for the sick and an increasing number of dead people.
Everyone with a common flu thinks they've got corona and want to be tested, when in most countrys there aren't enough capacities to test everyone. And not everyone has to be tested in general.
Clearly stealing and hoarding supplies is a problem that can’t be justified ever.

Why don’t doctors have ample protected/reserved supply to begin with though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom