Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.04

Anyone experiencing the same ?
Since 12.04 the gate block threshold seems to need higher setting : my 12.02 preset was set to -60dB and gated a lot, now in 12.04 it doesn't engage the gate until -40 !

edit: Went back to 12.02 and the gate acts as it was previously, so there's definitely something which changed...

Should i file a bug report ?
@FractalAudio

Last edited:
Looking forward to the TC100. I had a TC50 that I sold when I decided that I could do everything qith the Axe-fx III with much less setup time than trying to do 4 cable method all the time. Probably my favorite Mesa and I'll have to put together a patch with it to see how it mixes with my current band. After auditioning several different amps and saving 6 global amp sets, I finally settled on the JP2C+ as it mixes best with the rest of my band and complements our overall mix the best, but I have a hunch the TC100 could replace it, at least for certain songs.

Last minute fill-in gig Saturday night so I won't be updating until after. Itching to try it, and while I feel pretty confident with new firmware, I just don't have time to experiment until after the gig.

Since 12.04 the gate block threshold seems to need higher setting : my 12.02 preset was set to -60dB and gated a lot, now in 12.04 it doesn't engage the gate until -40 !

edit: Went back to 12.02 and the gate acts as it was previously, so there's definitely something which changed...

Should i file a bug report ?
@FractalAudio
There were no changes to the gate block.

Yes i know so what causes this? (i came from 12.02 so maybe this appeared in 12.03)

Al, I noticed something when 12.03 came along too and had to adjust the gate blocks in my chains. Didn't give it a second thought though - I assumed it was something to do with the new downward expander mode? Anyway, I adjusted and all was good in seconds :)

Al, I noticed something when 12.03 came along too and had to adjust the gate blocks in my chains. Didn't give it a second thought though - I assumed it was something to do with the new downward expander mode? Anyway, I adjusted and all was good in seconds :)
The downwards expander was there in 12.02
Even adjudting it, it now doesn't gate as quickly as it did

i'm not seeing this with 1.10, the latest FC firmware. do you mean on the default Scenes Layout 2, you're seeing all the same name when they should be different? it's Scene 1 - 6 on mine.
Chris, I am using layout 1 of the FC6 and have all switches configured as scene selects. When I updated to the FW12.04 all the scene names in the FC6 displays all become the currently selected scene name. The switches still function properly as they select the correct scene. It is just the names.

But the biggest problem is the gap in switching scenes has become huge. I almost sounds like it is going to a couple different scenes before it stops on the selected scene as there is a weird noise when changing. Like it would sound if you were changing through multiple scenes really quickly. I unplugged Axe Edit and I still get it. I have currently gone back to 12.03 and don't have this problem with that version. Although I did have to redo all my FC configuration as it got lost. I did upload the preset that I am using in the earlier post in this thread. I guess I am the only one experiencing this behavior. I haven't had any previous issues until this one and my configuration has not changed in probably a year.

I've made a variation using Factory2 #63: 2x12MAR-66 OH-GREEN U70 OH. Right now I am monitoring with headphones (Audeze LCD-2) and this particular 2x12 sounds with more balls than the 4x12. I am playing with a RG550LTD with a Suhr Aldrich on the bridge

I attach the preset. The variants with 2x12 are on Scenes 5-6-7

Awesome! I’ll definitely check this out today!

Since 12.04 the gate block threshold seems to need higher setting : my 12.02 preset was set to -60dB and gated a lot, now in 12.04 it doesn't engage the gate until -40

I checked this out on a few presets that I am very familiar with in and can confirm that the gate is behaving the same as it did on 12.03.

same here. It appeared like it did not cut or was not "on" occasionally. But only in some presets as well.

Here is the proof : First part is 12.02, then 12.03 with same exact preset
Even the waveform tells it...

@FractalAudio

I confirm i have to set threshold to -40 where i had to set it to -60, i can record a video, so definitely something changed on gates...

edit : attached preset

Attachments

• Oestre 2020 V.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Here is the proof : First part is 12.02, then 12.03 with same exact preset
Even the waveform tells it...

The sidechain filter changed in 12.03. Instead of a single bandpass it is now a highpass and a lowpass. With the single bandpass the lowcut and highcut frequencies were constrained from being greater/less than each other. I'm pretty sure I looked at one of your presets and you had the lowcut frequency set really high. Your effective lowcut frequency was actually less than displayed and this would cause the gate to behave differently than it does now. I recommend adjusting your lowcut frequency as it is set to strange value anyways.

The sidechain filter changed in 12.03. Instead of a single bandpass it is now a highpass and a lowpass. With the single bandpass the lowcut and highcut frequencies were constrained from being greater/less than each other. I'm pretty sure I looked at one of your presets and you had the lowcut frequency set really high. Your effective lowcut frequency was actually less than displayed and this would cause the gate to behave differently than it does now. I recommend adjusting your lowcut frequency as it is set to strange value anyways.
This
I use the gate secret trick (don't remember who posted it) : low cut = hi cut = 1000
So absolutely it could come from this, so what would be the equivalent setting of this in post 12.03 firmwares ?

Back
Top Bottom