New amp models

As mentioned, unique amp types we don't have yet are Randall RG or Century solid state amps, any type of doom/sludge/stoner amp like a Sunn Beta Lead or Orange OR120, a Dumble Steel String Singer type, a Tom Scholz Rockman, an ADA MP-1...

I don't know enough about amps to know what is a clone of what or what is a unique circuit. Is there some database you guys use that show these relationships? Or is it just hearsay? Like I've heard that a Mesa Rectifier is a clone of a Soldano SLO100, but they sound NOTHING alike.

There's definitely joy to be found in both directions, tweaking or switching amps. Yes you can do mods that would be a noticable PITA IRL, and that's awesome, but so is just pulling up another amp that a knowledgeable designer tilted in a deferent direction.

Like I've heard that a Mesa Rectifier is a clone of a Soldano SLO100, but they sound NOTHING alike

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list#SOLO_100_LEAD

see Cliff's notes:

• "If you want that Recto crunch but not so flubby and fizzy try the SOLO models. They're much brighter so I turn the treble down quite a bit." source
  • "A Recto is not a Mark series amp. Totally different preamp topology. A Recto preamp is very similar to a SLO100." source

I wonder how much reverse pollination there is, amp builders using modelers to prototype things they might want to build.

I'm never going to turn down more amp models, but I haven't even tried all the ones in there now. I'm probably not alone on that :)

The Rectifier preamp is almost identical to an SLO100.

Cliff, have you had the chance to try out the Mesa TC100 yet? Perhaps it's not unique enough to merit modelling but it sounds absolutely amazing and is the only tube amp I would use in addition to my Axe FX III.

Some more Stones amps would be cool:
Keith used a Triumph Silicon 100 for Gimme Shelter and Midnight Rambler. The schematic is out there. In addition to the SVTs, Keith used Ampeg V2 and V4 amps. Showman was used for Satisfacla

Digital rigs show how much people need to get out of their own way. "I would never use a --" just listen to see if it's what you want.

I know they’ve been requested plenty of times before, but I would absolutely love to have more bass options over anything else, like a Gallien-Krueger, or a Sansamp.

A preamp is one thing, but from the way some people talk, you'd think that Mesa copied the entire amp. I think we need a guitar gear Mythbusters! ;)

The whole thing actually of the SLO is the preamp , the thing that gives it away is the 39K resistor, Mike saw that and went what

MESA could have used a 40 or a 45 but they had the 39k, which was such an odd value that it could not be a mistake , thats basically when Soldano said they ripped his circuit

A preamp is one thing, but from the way some people talk, you'd think that Mesa copied the entire amp. I think we need a guitar gear Mythbusters! ;)
It's pretty much a blatant ripoff. There's a treble cut on the tone stack and a some minor changes to the power amp and power supply but it's basically a ripoff. The schematics are readily available for both so anyone interested can see for themselves.

Personally I hate the 39K resistor. It biases the stage much too cold for my tastes. It prevents blocking distortion but there are better ways to do it IMO. The FAS Modern model is similar but biases the stage more towards the center.

Thanks for the clarification and the new amp model! I'm also reminded that I haven't played any of the FAS Moderns in a while...

Back
Top Bottom