Headphones with FM3, dirt = great, cleans <> great

mikeyg

Experienced
So after some time messing with the FM 3, using headphones, I'm finding the dirty sounds are great, but the cleans not at all.

The cleans are lifeless, they kinda go "plink' and die quickly. And they sound a bit warbly.

Adding a compressor helps a fair amount. The sustain comes back. Still, nowhere near what they are capable of.

Any ideas why? It's something mathematical I presume...

So after some time messing with the FM 3, using headphones, I'm finding the dirty sounds are great, but the cleans not at all.

The cleans are lifeless, they kinda go "plink' and die quickly. And they sound a bit warbly.

Adding a compressor helps a fair amount. The sustain comes back. Still, nowhere near what they are capable of.

There are multiple ways to interpret what you wrote, so I have to make some assumptions here... but check your settings on the noise gate.

have you tried cleans with a speaker of any type? any difference?

the Factory Presets should be set well for good levels and gates.

does the guitar you use have clean sounds on other gear that don't go plink?

this is hard to give the "right" answer immediately because we know so little about your setup and don't really know exactly what's happening.

I though the cleans on my AX3 were great
what kind of clean tone are you going after ?

i loved the Matchless and /13
with spring verb in front of the amp
i used the output compression gain enhancer to get it to edge of breakup
and then rolled off

i would also try studio monitors instead of headphones if you can

Post the preset. Nothing to correct if no preset.

I’m on the road. I’ll try to, but the cleans sound fine through my CLR, so it’s not the Fractal unit itself.

so why would dirty sounds translate well, but not cleans? Impedance?

I though the cleans on my AX3 were great
what kind of clean tone are you going after ?

i loved the Matchless and /13
with spring verb in front of the amp
i used the output compression gain enhancer to get it to edge of breakup
and then rolled off

i would also try studio monitors instead of headphones if you can

Hmm, didn’t think to try a higher gain preset with the guitar volume rolled back. That could work...

I’m on the road. I’ll try to, but the cleans sound fine through my CLR, so it’s not the Fractal unit itself.

so why would dirty sounds translate well, but not cleans? Impedance?
high gain has more frequencies going on. maybe the headphones aren't translating everything well.

What kind of headphones are you using? It sounds great through mine.

So you got an FM3 with the headphones jack or are you doing a workaround because is one of the first production models that didn't come with it?

I have OUT1 going to my 6 channel mixer, which has a H/P hole.
All Presets sound just like Franks Utube video. I tried them side by side :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom