Mix Feedback - OCD Help

Narsh

Experienced
Hey guys,

Need some help with something that is driving me nuts.
Basically I've recreated my overall mix/mastering profile over the last few months through several gear acquisitions. I've noticed that my old mixes sound more a live and they used a lot less gear to get right.

Without going into too much detail as to what gear was used, can you please tell me which sounds better to you. I know they are different tunes and have different dynamic parts which isn't optimal for comparison but the overall mix is what I am more concerned with and is super apparent.

The first tune is called "Revenge" and sounds a lot more "alive" to me which I like, but lacks the tightness and overall polished sound of the second tune, "Patience and Agony".

Thanks for taking a listen and helping with my OCD. :) Appreciate any feedback and/or constructive criticism.

Thanks!!!

Hi,

not my kind of music, but the second track just sounds as you had turned down treble/presence on your amp. Very accurate playing but it sounds dull.
the volume of guitars in track Revenge are loude than in the second.

Agreed. The presence and volume of the guitars on the first one make it seem more “Alive”. What is a mixing/mastering “profile”? Do you mean a template, where you use the same gear & settings for every track?

Hi,

not my kind of music, but the second track just sounds as you had turned down treble/presence on your amp. Very accurate playing but it sounds dull.
the volume of guitars in track Revenge are loude than in the second.
Agreed. The presence and volume of the guitars on the first one make it seem more “Alive”. What is a mixing/mastering “profile”? Do you mean a template, where you use the same gear & settings for every track?

First off, thank you both for taking the time to listen to the tracks, I really appreciate it.

I meant mix/master profile because its more a combination of the templates I use in reaper and what I do in the AxeFX and Kemper. ie. different patches involved when recording. (there's probably a better way to express that)

I'll have to take a deep dive into what I did with both mixes but I know the first track was just the AXEFX with my older presets which I tried tonight and can confirm. It was just two guitar tracks on Revenge using the AXEFX for everything.

The second was using the AxeFX and Kemper quad tracked, and the AXEFX for the bass.

I tried messing with the treble/presence along with the volume this evening but my ears are pretty much fried. I'll continue tomorrow afternoon and see if I make any progress. It may be some combination of fx in post so at this point, my best bet will probably be to start from scratch and see how far I get.

Again, thank you both for the critique.

Back
Top Bottom