FM3 FAQ

Where can I find the FM3 Owner’s Manual, Fractal Audio Blocks Guide, and Fractal Audio Footswitch Functions Guide?
https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm3-downloads/

Can the FM3 load presets from the Axe-Fx III?
Yes. Using FM3-Edit, you can load Axe-Fx III presets on the FM3. Recognize that the FM3 has a lower CPU limit, so large presets will need to be edited before they will run on the FM3. Also, the FM3 has a slightly smaller grid size of 12x4.

Can the Axe-Fx III load presets from the FM3?
Yes, the Axe-Fx III can open FM3 presets directly with no known issues.

How many Amps, Cabs, etc. can I have in each FM3 preset?
The FM3 works on the same flexible grid architecture as our other products. The “inventory” for each preset includes one Amp Block and one Cab Block, plus a very large inventory of Effects and other blocks. (See the Fractal Audio Blocks Guide for details.) Also, keep in mind that the Amp and Cab Blocks each have 4 channels per-preset, and that the Cab Block can load up to two cabs per channel.

How many blocks can I have in a preset?
It really depends on the blocks you select. Some, like Volume and Filter, have a low demand on CPU resources whereas others, like Amp and Reverb, have a high demand on CPU resources. There are many factory presets that have over a dozen blocks. The manual includes tips to conserve CPU.

Are the Amp block controls in the FM3 the same as the Axe-Fx III?
Yes with just a few minor differences, the FM3 has all of the parameters of the Axe-Fx III (Built in “bias trem” was removed to conserve CPU, but bias trem can be added with the Tremolo block if you need it.)

Can I run the Reverb block at high quality?
Yes! It takes more CPU resources than Normal mode, however, and the latter sounds excellent while still conserving CPU.

Can the FM3 do tone matching or IR capture?
No, Tone Matching and IR capture are limited to the flagship Axe-Fx III. However, if you own an Axe-Fx III, you can export your tone matches and IRs as USER CAB data, which can easily be loaded in the FM3.

The FM3 only has 3 foot switches. What can they do? Is that enough?
The Footswitches use the same system as the FC controllers, which makes it extremely flexible. Each switch has a separate Tap function and Hold function, and you can assign any switch to anything from a long list of options. Then, all of this is multiplied by the “FOOTSWITCH LAYOUTS” feature. A layout is like a “preset” for up to 12 switches, and there are eight layouts plus one “master layout menu”. So that’s 108x2=216 different switch functions you can choose from on one FM3! Next, the VIEWS feature makes the FM3 like a virtual FC12. You can change to up to four different views for different switch functions without even changing the layout! Then any footswitch can also be overridden on a per-preset basis for special circumstances. And don’t forget that the FM3 supports connecting one or two FC6 or FC12 foot controllers as well.

What about expression pedals and external switches?
The FM3 has two pedal inputs. Each one can host your choice of either one expression pedal or up to two footswitches. You can also connect up to two FC controllers, and each of those allows another four expression pedals AND four external switches.

I want to use a real cabinet on stage but I want to go direct into the PA, does the FM3 support this?
Yes. You can do this by utilizing the separate outputs on the FM3. Section 4 of the Owner’s Manual covers many different setup options.

Can the FM3 connect to a tube amp via the 4 cable method? Does it have relays for switching an amp?
The FM3 Owner’s Manual SETUP section provides a step-by-step guide on how to do this. The unit does not have onboard relays but it can transmit MIDI messages to a 3rd party amp or relay switcher.

The main outs are XLR but I need to connect to 1/4" inputs. What should I do?
The easiest solution here is an adapter or a cable that goes from XLR to 1/4". If you don’t have this, however, there’s another option. Out 2 has 1/4" jacks, and in the SETUP:I/O menu, you can set Out 2 to copy Out 1.

Does the FM3 have performance screens like the Axe-Fx III?
Not at launch, but these might be added via a firmware update.

Can I record directly to my computer via USB?
The FM3 is a 4x4 USB audio interface for audio playback and recording. You can reamp via USB as well. See Section 3 of the Owner’s Manual for details.

What does it mean that the FM3 loads UltraRes IRs in a truncated format?
The FM3 will load UltraRes IRs (rather than rejecting them) but these are loaded in a truncated format equivalent to standard resolution IRs. UltraRes processing is not applied. Full support for UltraRes IRs might be added via a firmware update.

In FM3-Edit, how can I tell what text will fit in the footswitch Mini-Displays while I am editing scene or preset names?
Click the 10!!! This handy button shows you what portion of the text will be visible in the mini-displays.

How is the FM3 different from the AX8?
There are MAJOR differences here. The amp modeling is vastly improved, reflecting years of R&D that went into the Axe-Fx III. The Cab block has many new features as well. The blocks library is expanded, with more blocks and more options inside those blocks. All new effects like Optical Compressor, Shimmer Verb, 8-Plex, Quad Pitch (and many more) were not available on the previous generation of Fractal Audio products. The onboard foot controller uses the new “FC” paradigm, adding features and flexibility that the AX8 could not offer, plus the option to expand with additional FC Controllers. The new front panel interface is vastly improved, with all of the controls of an Axe-Fx III. The next-gen editor also takes advantage of the new “client server” model to offer seamless synchronization, 4k/5k monitor compatibility, and much more. As of this writing (Jan 2020) the FM3 is also at the beginning in terms of firmware updates and will see further updates and improvements.

Is the FM3 a USB MIDI device?
USB provides the FM3 with 4×4 USB audio capabilities when connected to a compatible Mac or PC for use with FM3-Edit, Fractal-Bot, a DAW or other audio applications. Note that the FM3 is NOT a USB MIDI Device. It uses “COMM over USB” channels for Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit, but will not appear as a MIDI device in a DAW or other MIDI program. See Section 3: USB in the Owner's Manual for more about USB.

Do I need to use a buffer with the FM3?
The FM3 has a high quality buffer already so there’s no need for a buffer. FM3 Input 1 features Fractal’s “Secret Sauce IV” circuitry like the Axe-Fx III so it has a very low noise floor.

How do I play along with songs and backing tracks?
It’s easy! You can connect your iOS, Android, PC, or Mac via USB and play through the FM3 audio device. Note that you may want to go to SETUP:I/O : USB and turn down the level initially for USB 1/2.

What’s the USB-A connector for?
The USB A port of the FM3 currently has no function.

Does the FM3 support a 3rd MIDI controller similar to the Axe-Fx III?
Yes, it does support the same “Third Party MIDI Spec” with a different device ID (11h versus 10h). So, for instance, the SET/GET BYPASS command looks like "F0 00 01 74 10 0A id id dd cs F7" on the Axe-Fx III and "F0 00 01 74 11 0A id id dd cs F7" on the FM3.

What is a "First-Run" unit and why does it have no headphones jack?
Units from the first production run of FM3 have no headphones jack or circuitry. These units are functionally identical in every other way to later production units with a headphones jack (expected April, 2020). To reduce the wait for the many customers who don't care about this feature, we decided to offer these units at a reduced price rather than partially scrapping them.

What about Europe and the rest of the world?
As they did with the Axe-Fx II, AX8 and Axe-Fx III, Fractal Audio Systems will ship some quantity of units domestically in the USA and Canada before sending any units to its dealers in other countries. The details of this are communicated to the dealers and they can keep you up to date about when you can expect to be able to order the FM3.

How long will the wait be? When will I get my invitation?
See this post: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-now-shipping.158414/#post-1890757

But will it Blend? :D

Hey so if I want to use let’s say a Princeton and a Boogie in the same preset with some on/off stomp
Box style effects, can I do this ??!

yes but if you want it all on the 3 switches you have to be creative

put the fender and boogie on switch one toggle

put a drive on the HOLD

switch 2 put a stomp on TAP
another on HOLD

you could also toggle FX of the same family for instance delay Channel A
and delay Channel B

finally IF you wanted to use 3 different modulations you could a multiplexer
and set up chorus flange phase on the seperate channels and scroll through
those 3

lots of ways some easy some more
complex depends how you want to have it work

yes but if you want it all on the 3 switches you have to be creative

put the fender and boogie on switch one toggle

put a drive on the HOLD

switch 2 put a stomp on TAP
another on HOLD

you could also toggle FX of the same family for instance delay Channel A
and delay Channel B

finally IF you wanted to use 3 different modulations you could a multiplexer
and set up chorus flange phase on the seperate channels and scroll through
those 3

lots of ways some easy some more
complex depends how you want to have it work
Wow thanks so much, this forum is so helpful and informative

Wow thanks so much, this forum is so helpful and informative

your welcome , here is scenario 1 in action in this video

he is toggling Clean Vibroverb / chorus on and HOLD gets a RC booster drive
so he has the 3 sounds per switch method

And here is the Multiplexer idea , this is Axe 3 but set up same way
that should give you a start for ideas ,

i'll be updating this with more visuals soon, but you can read through this and see progressively how you can make the switches do a ton:

https://axefxtutorials.com/fm3/fm3-footswitch-design-and-concepts/

thats awesome Chris and super helpful .
the only thing I can't figure out is the advantage of view over using a layout link?

lets keep it simple , say I want to use PP
I have clean , HiGain, and solo and they are working on the TAP function
now, I want to access my stomp FX layout
What would be the advantage of views VS just putting a layout link to open the FX layout on switch 1's HOLD function ?
is there any

thats awesome Chris and super helpful .
the only thing I can't figure out is the advantage of view over using a layout link?

lets keep it simple , say I want to use PP
I have clean , HiGain, and solo and they are working on the TAP function
now, I want to access my stomp FX layout
What would be the advantage of views VS just putting a layout link to open the FX layout on switch 1's HOLD function ?
is there any
the only "advantage" to a View is that you don't have any wasted switches on each Layout.

before Views were implemented, you could only access the first 3 switches of the Layout - remember a Layout holds 12 total switches. this is the same currently on the FC6 - you can only access 6 switches of the total 12.

Views allow us to use all 12 switches of the Layout if desired.

from a performance pov, a View and Layout do the same exact thing: change what the 3 switches do at that moment. however, Layouts have the additional benefit of the Layout Link as you mention. so hitting a Preset switch with a Layout Link can take us to the stomp FX Layout at the same time. currently you can't do this with a View.

so Layouts are a bit more "powerful" when used with Layout Links compared to Views. you can also name Layouts and access them with the Master Layout Menu.

that's how it is currently. no idea if Views will see similar features, though i think things could get confusing if both Views and Layouts have the same options and almost do the exact same thing. i'm guessing Views will stay how they are at least for a bit as we see feedback on how people are using them.

Will the top list get updated with new FAQs? If so, I would think it will be a good idea to post the dates of when this got updates so one can do a quick scroll down and see if there is something new to read up and learn a bit more info on the unit.

When I look a the CABS, in the factory presets, i see 2 mostly.
Do we always need 2 for FM3 ?? I think I had just 1 for AX8 and then run stereo effects.
thx

When I look a the CABS, in the factory presets, i see 2 mostly.
Do we always need 2 for FM3 ?? I think I had just 1 for AX8 and then run stereo effects.
thx
the FM3 has the ability to load 2 IRs/Cabs within the cab block. this is usually used to mix multiple mics as you might on a real cab. if they are not panned, it's going for this mix style of cab use. if they are panned, they are used to give different data to Left and Right for stereo sound.

you can use just 1 Slot in the Cab block. if stereo effects are placed after this cab block, you will still have stereo sound. if stereo effects are placed before this cab block, those stereo effects will become mono, as this cab block is mono.

totally up to you. many run 1 Slot to save on CPU, and place all stereo effects after for a full stereo sound.

Thats what I would like to do Chris....1 CAB, save CPU.
How do you remove the other CAB ?

Back
Top Bottom