New BOSS SY-1000. The Hex-pickup is not dead. Long live the 13-pin plug!

I have a Godin LGX-SA with RMC piezos. I really haven't had any issues with it. I had a GK3 mounted on another guitar but sold it along with a GP-10 when I replaced with the SY-1000. I did buy another GK3 but haven't gotten around to mounting it on anything yet.

I have a Godin LGX-SA with RMC piezos. I really haven't had any issues with it. I had a GK3 mounted on another guitar but sold it along with a GP-10 when I replaced with the SY-1000. I did buy another GK3 but haven't gotten around to mounting it on anything yet.
The LGX-SA is a hardtail, maybe that makes a difference. I kind of think the vibrations on the trem on the XT-SA were screwing with the tracking. If I played it in acoustic mode with the piezo I could always hear a lot of superfluous noises.

I'm really tempted by this new SY-1000, I used to have a VG-99 that I really enjoyed. I don't have a 13-pin guitar at the moment so that would mean getting either a GK-3 or another guitar... what are you all using?

I have the GK-3A permanently installed in two guitars: Fender American Deluxe Strat and Ibanez RG550LTD

I also installed Ghost Piezo Saddles at the Strat, with the Acoustiphonic Preamp, Hexpander and routing for the 13-pin connector. But I prefer the GK-3A because the Piezo Saddles capture subsonic frequencies that sometimes create a little bit of mess.

I regret having sold a Godin Nylon Multiac.

I have the GK-3A permanently installed in two guitars: Fender American Deluxe Strat and Ibanez RG550LTD

I also installed Ghost Piezo Saddles at the Strat, with the Acoustiphonic Preamp, Hexpander and routing for the 13-pin connector. But I prefer the GK-3A because the Piezo Saddles capture subsonic frequencies that sometimes create a little bit of mess.

I regret having sold a Godin Nylon Multiac.
I have a Ghost on one guitar, and I almost sold my Godin Nylon Multiac a few years ago, but I came to my senses just in time. So glad I still have it. I think I remember you as one of the guys mentioning playing some classical on a thread or two. I was taking some classes at Orange Coast College when I still lived in SoCal, and after the first semester I started taking one-on-one lessons from the instructor. I'm so glad I did, not just for what I learned, but for the fact that it gave me a love for playing a different style I never realized I would enjoy as much as I did. (Wish I could find a teacher even close to that caliber up here.)

What is the concensus on the pitch-to-MIDI functionality on this vs a GR55? I'm most concerned with how well it does for triggering software synths and things like that. I have a GR55 and an SY300, and I'm thinking this might be nice at some point.

@hippietim how difficult is the GK3 pickup to mount? I am considering an SY-1000 and have been looking at the Mann Made GK Pickup mounting rings to use on one of my PRS's. Any experience with those? I don't want to buy a 13 pin guitar, but also don't want to screw a GK pickup to my guitar. Any advice?
It's pretty easy, you can use double sided tape (seen a LOT of guitarists use this) or bridge mounts

You can drill too but the double sided option is quick easy and you can swap to another guitar easily

It's pretty easy, you can use double sided tape (seen a LOT of guitarists use this) or bridge mounts

You can drill too but the double sided option is quick easy and you can swap to another guitar easily
With the right guitar double side tape is effortless, with little to no pickup adjustment needed....just did it this weekend with a new GK3 on my trusty
Suhr Rasmus Govan sig...already sporting a Tripleplay mount..I could prolly use both at once....!image.jpg

With the right guitar double side tape is effortless, with little to no pickup adjustment needed....just did it this weekend with a new GK3 on my trusty
Suhr Rasmus Govan sig...already sporting a Tripleplay mount..I could prolly use both at once....!View attachment 66991
Brad - does your TriplePlay track well not being next to the bridge?

I considered getting one before but since I'd already done this dance with a GK-2A years ago I didn't want to modify guitars to mount it (none of mine have enough space between the pickup ring and bridge).

When I checked the FAQ for TriplePlay I recall them being very specific about mounting as close to the bridge as possible.

Suhr Rasmus Govan sig...already sporting a Tripleplay mount..I could prolly use both at once....!View attachment 66991Maybe
Maybe it isn’t a fair comparison, but what’s your thoughts on the Triple Play compared to the SY-1000? I would only be using it at home, not live performing so being tie to a computer wouldn’t really be an issue.

Maybe it isn’t a fair comparison, but what’s your thoughts on the Triple Play compared to the SY-1000? I would only be using it at home, not live performing so being tie to a computer wouldn’t really be an issue.
For that case you should really check out Midi Guitar 2 by Jam Origins... Works with no additional hardware for any guitar. ;)

Back
Top Bottom