These Charvels need more attention

Went into my local guitar shop on a whim, as I have been eyeing the PRS CEs but wanted to check and see if the shop had the Charvel Pro Mods that I kind of had been looking at too. Walked in and saw this orange Charvel that I had seen on Sweetwater's website and had been wanting to play, so I had a shop employee grab it from it's spot about 12 ft up and plugged it into a Vox that was nearby, and man, did it feel really good. Roasted neck felt smooth, the pickups sounded great (especially the middle pickup!), and the trem was really smooth. The shop employee helping me hadn't really heard anything about these and he fell in love with it too while I was there! I loved it so much I wanted to buy it then and there, but being the responsible adult I am, I chose to walk away from it and left the store. Talked to my wife about it, and she said that I should buy it if I really liked it. I decided to think about it over the weekend while we went out of town, and man was that the longest two days of my life. We got back Sunday but the shop was closed, so first thing Monday after work I went to the store, played it one more time to make sure I still loved it (I did), and walked out with another guitar added to my collection.

Also, there need to be more matte finish guitars, because they look sooooooo slick.

IMG_20200204_073027.jpg

I played every single charvel they had at NAMM and didn't really bond with any of them - but man, this 89 HM Strat I found locally? it's fun. Good thing there are lots of guitars as we are all different.

Very cool color too - I love the satins. Congrats on the NGD.

There are a few of us here with these... They are very nice.

The neck feels fantastic and the matte finish is excellent. I have the DK-24 HSS in Shell Pink.

Only thing I will say (a common theme, I have a thread ;)) is tuning stability.

Locking saddles helped a lot. I'm planning to lose the string trees and put staggered tuners on instead which I hope will resolve matter once and for all.

But as I just discovered mine came with a broken truss rod, I'm waiting until I get that resolved with Sam Ash and/or Charvel before doing anything else.

FYI - the neck is listed as "caramelized" not roasted. Not sure what difference that may be if any... But they look and feel so nice, I don't really care!

Also, the input jack is a genius move.

I played every single charvel they had at NAMM and didn't really bond with any of them - but man, this 89 HM Strat I found locally? it's fun. Good thing there are lots of guitars as we are all different.

Heh! I bought one of those HM Strats when they were new, and they've got their very own particular thing going on. It was my #1 guitar for almost a decade. Finally got it refretted a year or two ago and it played better than ever after that. I was tickled to see that Fender reissued them this year.

I regret selling my Charvel, back in the 80's

4702-1072592095643-3156413-n.jpg

There are a few of us here with these... They are very nice.

The neck feels fantastic and the matte finish is excellent. I have the DK-24 HSS in Shell Pink.

Only thing I will say (a common theme, I have a thread ;)) is tuning stability.

Locking saddles helped a lot. I'm planning to lose the string trees and put staggered tuners on instead which I hope will resolve matter once and for all.

Also, the input jack is a genius move.

I haven't noticed anything too crazy in regards to tuning problems, the biggest thing I notice is that the strings will go sharp if I pluck them too hard (although I haven't changed the strings yet from the purchase). Can you link me to your thread about the tuning stability? Might help me to be aware of what to listen/look for!

And yes, I wish more guitar makers had the same setup for the input jack!

A buddy of mine had a Charvel model 6 when I was a kid. That orange one you bought sure takes me back. Congrats, it’s a great looking guitar.
Thanks for keeping your socks on.

Looks just like mine! Really is a great playing and sounding guitar, and in my favorite color :). I've decided I want an HSS though and have one of the new red ash ones on preorder and will be selling the HSH, since I don't currently have a neck position strat/single coil pickup in my arsenal.

As @unixguy said, tuning stability has been a bit of an issue for several of us, though at least he and I are coming mostly from Ibanez Edge/Floyd stuff so we're used to locked in stability. If you do have issues, check his thread, a lot of good info in there, and I've done a couple things since my last post there that have helped as well :)

I haven't noticed anything too crazy in regards to tuning problems, the biggest thing I notice is that the strings will go sharp if I pluck them too hard (although I haven't changed the strings yet from the purchase). Can you link me to your thread about the tuning stability? Might help me to be aware of what to listen/look for!

And yes, I wish more guitar makers had the same setup for the input jack!
Here's the link:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/charvel-pro-mod-dk-24-tuning-issues.155754/

Back
Top Bottom