Is my I/O plan sound? Will this work??

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
So, I’d like to utilize my Apollo interface, the X8 to its fullest potential in my setup. I had the AxeFXIII going into 2 line ins. That of course worked well. I’m going to Be utilizing all 8 line ins for Another piece of hardware. I’d like to now configure the AxeFXIII as follows:
input 1 will be guitar in Thru the front jack
input 2 will be my Fryette power station. Already doing this and it works well. Love the cab block And fractals FX.
Inputs 3 and 4 will be line ins for Slate mic pres, now that I’m losing them on the interface.
The only output I want to use is spdif back to the apollo.
Is this possible? I’d use output 1 block and configure for spdif correct? Do I need both send and return coaxial cables or is the one going to the interface enough?

That should work just fine. Probably easiest to have a preset setup where in3/in4 are routed directly to output 1. Dial up that preset any time you want to use the mic pre's. Only one spdif connection necessary.

Worth mentioning that if you use SPDIF you will need to run your interface at 48 kHz sample rate (the Axe-Fx can only run at this rate). That may impact your decision on whether to go that route or not.

Worth mentioning that if you use SPDIF you will need to run your interface at 48 kHz sample rate (the Axe-Fx can only run at this rate). That may impact your decision on whether to go that route or not.
I do run everything already at 48k. Interestingly, the UA Apollo will sample rate convert spdif sources not at the proper sample rate. I only mention because I literally just read it.

Actually (as a previous resister of this approach), I recommend using the USB DI's and processed channels as your source. This will free up additional analog inputs.

For years I have recorded the analog 1 outputs to my DAW via an RME interface. This allowed you sample rate flexibility.

If your willing to forego the sample rate matter, the Axe must be used at 48K. You'll need to start using 48K to start all of your projects.

How do you SYNC your Axe to the Apollo? Easy - just run an optical cable from SPDIF OUT (RCA coaxial) to the RCA SPDIF in on your interface, and set its clock to external.

I do run everything already at 48k. Interestingly, the UA Apollo will sample rate convert spdif sources not at the proper sample rate. I only mention because I literally just read it.
That's really cool! I had not encountered (until you mentioned this) a general audio interface that does SRC on digital IO, and any dedicated conversion devices are typically quite expensive. Glad to hear the sample rate won't be an issue, regardless.

Back
Top Bottom