Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.03

12.03 is an official full release... Just not updated on the main download page yet.
Thanks! Saves me a lot of time trying to back out to firmware 12.02. I've made the mistake of giving away a free preset on the channel while using BETA firmware (forgetting I was running it). Not something most people want install just to grab a free preset.

I’m kinda enjoying the lull. Hope Cliff is resting... or working on another major breakthrough! But honestly it’s so good now. I know we say that every firmware but wow.

Rolled back to 11.01 last night and set up my Matchless preset exactly the way I have it set up for 12.03 and noticed two things:
  1. The change in dynamics in 12.03 that has already been mentioned, but it seems to have come at the expense of a little headroom, at least for this model.
  2. 11.02 was slightly, but noticeably, darker with less top end... but the top end also seemed smoother. The top end in 12.03 is a little "spitty" in comparison when I turn on my last gain stage (Klon(e) as a clean boost) and push the amp a bit.

Keep in mind, this is with all outboard effects and just using the Axe III as the amp/cab/IR. YMMV.

Last edited:
Rolled back to 11.01 last night and set up my Matchless preset exactly the way I have it set up for 12.03 and noticed two things:
  1. The change in dynamics in 12.03 that has already been mentioned, but it seems to have come at the expense of a little headroom, at least for this model.
  2. 11.02 was slightly, but noticeably, darker with less top end... but the top end also seemed smoother. The top end in 12.03 is a little "spitty" in comparison when I turn on my last gain stage (Klon(e) as a clean boost) and push the amp a bit.

Keep in mind, this is with all outboard effects and just using the Axe III as the amp/cab/IR. YMMV.
Seems like I noticed the headroom had changed a bit too.

Don't know what it is, I love it. Whatever the changes were, some areas I use less gain.

Using USA Pre Ld2 Yellow (still my fave, I guess)

Due to the wonky-ass pickups on my guitar, I run a 5-band passive G-EQ first, "Low" slider all the way down, "mid" at +1.5, "high" at +6 and this seems to balance my tone going in.

Input Drive: 7.5 to 8.9
Overdrive: 2 freaking 2 I swear this is so nice, all the noise is gone, I can drop the volume knob on the guitar down, completely disengage the noise gate, and it's freaking heaven - this is a pretty significant deviation from my prior experience, as I usually had to have this pretty high to get the tone and sustain I wanted.

Bass: 2
Mid: 5
Treble: 6.9
Preamp presence: -4
PA Presence 4
Master: 3.2 to 3.6

Speaker compression 2

Output EQ Mark 5 band
80 hz: +2
240 hz @ +0.9
750 hz @ -3 for leads, -5 for a more chunky rhythm
2200 hz @ +0.9 to 1 or so
6600 at 0

Output Comp: Gain Enhancer at 2.8 to 3.3

Ownhammer MB1 412 mesa traditional - any of the T1 or T2 files...

FFS it's heaven. It's freaking guitar heaven. I don't even know how to be right now.

While I think the DC30 sounds great, I’ve never totally fallen in love with it. It’s definitely in that Vox camp, but does have the tighter distortion that you think of with a Matchless. Then I revisited the Chieftain - which I have a soft spot for because it completely reminds me of early 90’s college rock. Anyway, holy crap - master maxed, gain at 11 o’clockish. With a Tele...My goodness. Seriously, THAT sound is worth the price of the Axe alone. Hell, a vintage Chieftain would cost you more...

Thanks, Cliff - your lightning box has really blown me away - and made me more confident in my production.

While I think the DC30 sounds great, I’ve never totally fallen in love with it. It’s definitely in that Vox camp, but does have the tighter distortion that you think of with a Matchless. Then I revisited the Chieftain - which I have a soft spot for because it completely reminds me of early 90’s college rock. Anyway, holy crap - master maxed, gain at 11 o’clockish. With a Tele...My goodness. Seriously, THAT sound is worth the price of the Axe alone. Hell, a vintage Chieftain would cost you more...

Thanks, Cliff - your lightning box has really blown me away - and made me more confident in my production.
The secret of the Chieftain is the split cathode bias. Most "Class-A" amps use a shared cathode bias but the Chieftain uses separate cathode bias networks which results in less bias shift so there's less fizz. I keep meaning to make this a user parameter but more important things take priority.

The secret of the Chieftain is the split cathode bias. Most "Class-A" amps use a shared cathode bias but the Chieftain uses separate cathode bias networks which results in less bias shift so there's less fizz. I keep meaning to make this a user parameter but more important things take priority.
That sounds like an “improvement” in circuit design. Why is it not implemented in other amps?

That sounds like an “improvement” in circuit design. Why is it not implemented in other amps?
Because it requires an extra big expensive power resistor and (depending on the circuit) bypass cap, and quite a few folks like the compression artefacts caused by the bias shifting as you play.

Ooooooh!

Jokes aside is nice to know that this parameter is in your list, keep rocking Cliff!

Last edited:
Anyone played the Brit Brown model with FW 12.03? It's my favorite amp block and can't imagine how it could get any better. But, a more explosive pick attack esp on pinch harmonics would be epic

It can get better. Haha. I did a tone match from the first album using Brit Brown and it kicks ass. Then I added a little chorus for Diver Down and 1984 and that sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom