FM3 and wireless IEM transmitter on one pedal board: Silly?

Henry

Experienced
Is that silly, trying to put a wireless IEM transmitter together with the FM3 on a pedal board?

I tried to find references in the AX8 forum but didn't find any. I think one user mentioned a similar plan here on an FM3 post.

If it does make sense: any do's and don'ts how to go about that?

many wireless systems are designed exactly for that these days. i think you mean the Receiver though. the transmitter is on the guitar side.

the right side is the receiver which is a pedal and tuner, so it goes right with your other pedals on the board. people also put normal 1/2 rack style receivers on the board as well. your input would be right there on the FM3, so it makes sense.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 11.39.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 11.39.33 AM.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 20
I ran the ax8 and wireless in the same board for years. Was great for quick setup, just add power and signal and everything is ready to go

I would not put the IEM transmitter on the board - It's just more cables, you need to get to the front of the stage. Keep it separate or (better yet) in the same rack as the mixer.

My thoughts were to just put my own guitar into the IEMs and let the rest of the band bleed through.

If you want to run wireless IEM’s on your FM3 board try the Xvive Audio U4 Wireless In-Ear Monitoring System. It’s a compact unit you can plug directly into one of your outs and then have your sound guy send you a mix minus your instrument which you plug into your second input. The only downsides are the batteries only last about 5 hours and it’s RF is in the 2.6gig range.
I don’t have an FM3 but that’s how I would do it on my A3.

My thoughts were to just put my own guitar into the IEMs and let the rest of the band bleed through.
with this setup, you'll have your IEMs pretty low. because IEMs are so close to our ears, it can easily block out any sound coming through the "earplug" part of the IEM.

worth a try, but it's usually best to get a band mix as well. i do the opposite when i'm playing drums: i have a band mix without drums in it, and i listen to my own playing through the "earplugs." the band level is very low on the knob, just enough to hear and blend with my drums which are loud to begin with.

so it's possible, but you might desire turning up the IEMs so your guitar feels louder, but then you might not hear the rest of the band. depends how close and loud everything else is.

Never heard of that. What is the reason? Asking because I typically stand pretty close to the IEM rack sitting during rehearsals

3F55A983-818C-4FEE-AFAA-EFC4142BC743.jpeg

apparently Shure recommends 16 feet on this google search. I bet different products have different requirements. I’ve never had issue within say 4 feet, but under that I’ve definitely had drop outs or interference personally.

just check the user manual of whatever system you use. that’s where I first learned about it.

View attachment 64024

apparently Shure recommends 16 feet on this google search. I bet different products have different requirements. I’ve never had issue within say 4 feet, but under that I’ve definitely had drop outs or interference personally.

just check the user manual of whatever system you use. that’s where I first learned about it.
Thanks... I do occasionally have interference that I just assumed was part of the experience. I'm using Audio Technica - will check their manual.

Edit:

Yep - AT also mentions minimum distance on their site:

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/9909ac483546d058/index.html

• Keep all transmitters at least 10 feet (3 m) away from the receivers and their antennas to avoid receiver overload, which can reduce range and cause unnecessary interference. These problems are especially likely when several transmitters are in use.
  • Maintain as much distance as possible between the antennas of any two receivers.

View attachment 64024

That's a new one on me. Intermodulation only happens when something is being overdriven. While it's possible that a wireless transmitter could overload its own receiver, I've never seen that happen. As a practical matter, guitar wireless transmitters are often closer than 16 feet from the receiver. At some of my gigs, I'm only 3 to 5 feet away. Never had an issue.

Though it can be a good idea to keep one system's transmitter away from another system's receiver, to the extent that it's possible. For instance, you don't want your IEM signal barking down the throat of your guitar's wireless receiver.

It's definitely something I have heard mentioned by several soundguys (who know what they are talking about) and also to some extent something I may have experienced myself.

I put my old Shure IEM wireless on my custom pedalboard with my AX8 and personally never had any issue- YMMV.
This is an old photo...pedalboard.jpg

I put my old Shure IEM wireless on my custom pedalboard with my AX8 and personally never had any issue- YMMV.
This is an old photo...
Are you getting a mix of the band from the sound guy? If so, are you feeding that directly into the Shure (e.g. Right, with your signal Left), or are you feeding that into the AX8 and mixing it there with your signal?

Are you getting a mix of the band from the sound guy? If so, are you feeding that directly into the Shure (e.g. Right, with your signal Left), or are you feeding that into the AX8 and mixing it there with your signal?
The bad thing about this Shure was that it wasn't the cleanest sounds- it was IEM on a budget. The nice thing about it was it had 2 inputs! I ran AX8 output 1 to FOH, AX8 output 2 directly to my Shure (you can see the right angled 1/4 on the upper left). The other input on the Shure took the monitor mix from the sound guy. I never had to ask for "more me", because I had my personal level mix right there. This Shure is a mono mix, so both Shure inputs were mixed right&left.

Back
Top Bottom