Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.03

The wonderful relative inconsistencies of the human ear!! Haha!

This is pretty common - ear fatigue, changes in environment, rest, hydration and diet, even simple things like stress and temperature will affect the way you perceive things - weird huh? Then couple all these things with all the inconsistencies of just playing and you see why you can't even trust your own ears!

I usually don't trust my ears without an A/B comparison. You see it on the forums all the time!

Us: 'This new firmware sounds GREAT/TERRIBLE!!' What changed in the amp modeling?!?!

Cliff - 'nothing, was just bug fixes'

I don’t know if anyone else deals with this, but some days I pick up on high frequencies MUCH more than other days. It’s been like this since I was a teenager. For 20+ years it’s been finding a killer tone one day, could be on my stereo system, it’s not just guitar related, and the next day I’m thinking “Man, there’s so much treble in this I can’t even listen to it!”.

I randomly get ‘updates’ all the time and because of that, I’ll never really trust myself to say after a Fractal update “Oh wow, I can hear a subtle change in the high end” unless I had something I could A/B it to that was recorded with the exact same settings.
A big part of it is that our ears, or at least mine, adjust pretty quickly to ongoing sounds, volume as well as tonality. What seems like a reasonable volume one day can seem super quiet or loud depending on context. If I get a few minutes to play before work for instance, the house is quiet and I tend to turn things down where later in the evening I'll tend to push them back up. Similarly, after playing a while I may boost top end.

I don't know how to work around this other than constantly comparing to reference material. I'd make a crap mastering engineer.

I have been obsessed with the D/AD Flanger. I'm using it with a Freidman HBE. Use it with a Wah and it absolutely nails the Pat Travers tone from Crash and Burn. I've been playing the intro to Snortin Whisky over and over. Just sounds crazy good. @2112 Leon, I'm also coming around to the Atomica. I didn't use that amp much before. Now, I agree it could be a great straight up Marshall-type crunch tone.

Hello!
In each case, this is as follows.
In the closets.
I do not understand!
I updated it several times.

Attachments

• Képernyőfotó 2020-02-12 - 18.51.37.png
    Képernyőfotó 2020-02-12 - 18.51.37.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
  • Képernyőfotó 2020-02-12 - 19.13.09.png
    Képernyőfotó 2020-02-12 - 19.13.09.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
I don’t know if anyone else deals with this, but some days I pick up on high frequencies MUCH more than other days. It’s been like this since I was a teenager. For 20+ years it’s been finding a killer tone one day, could be on my stereo system, it’s not just guitar related, and the next day I’m thinking “Man, there’s so much treble in this I can’t even listen to it!”.

I randomly get ‘updates’ all the time and because of that, I’ll never really trust myself to say after a Fractal update “Oh wow, I can hear a subtle change in the high end” unless I had something I could A/B it to that was recorded with the exact same settings.
We got so much pressure on our ears in the 70s and especially the 80s, from 'real' amps on stage and even in the studio. I wouldn't trust them - let's say above 12 KHz .....

I’m the same. Gigging, rehearsing and playing in my teenage bedroom a full Jubilee stack on about 7 (maybe 6 at home we lived in the country).

I seriously doubt I have any precision over 6-7k

My hearing is still pretty good for now - I can still hear 18-20k but it's a bit harder now with some age lol

Even with some pretty sensitive hearing, I don't always trust what I hear. Sometimes just being 'in the zone' makes me hear different....and when I listen back I'm like 'wait, THIS is what I was digging last night?!'

When you play today it will be sound different tomorrow and your playing too will inevitably change....maybe you just woke up to record vs when you were tired last night jamming? Maybe your ears finally got a rest after a week of work in the industry and you hear different? Maybe it's 8deg today and yesterday was 23deg......so many things make you hear differently

I always revisit my patches numerous times, and hear them differently all the time .

Best advice I can give is dial things in when your ears are fresh, you're not tired, distracted, stressed, hungry, dehydrated etc etc....essentially you can only get reliable results when you are your ears are fresh and comfortable. After about 30-45 mins or so, they become unreliable again in my experience, so dial in your sounds early, not after the band's first run through of the set or after a 12 hr shift at the steel mill

I was really disappointed to learn recently that mine rolls off just above 14k. I could hear 18k just a couple of years ago.

My hearing is still pretty good for now - I can still hear 18-20k but it's a bit harder now with some age lol

Even with some pretty sensitive hearing, I don't always trust what I hear. Sometimes just being 'in the zone' makes me hear different....and when I listen back I'm like 'wait, THIS is what I was digging last night?!'

When you play today it will be sound different tomorrow and your playing too will inevitably change....maybe you just woke up to record vs when you were tired last night jamming? Maybe your ears finally got a rest after a week of work in the industry and you hear different? Maybe it's 8deg today and yesterday was 23deg......so many things make you hear differently

I always revisit my patches numerous times, and hear them differently all the time .

Best advice I can give is dial things in when your ears are fresh, you're not tired, distracted, stressed, hungry, dehydrated etc etc....essentially you can only get reliable results when you are your ears are fresh and comfortable. After about 30-45 mins or so, they become unreliable again in my experience, so dial in your sounds early, not after the band's first run through of the set or after a 12 hr shift at the steel mill
Well your ears adjust.. try this experiment, next time ya get into your car, turn the EQ settings to something that doesn’t sound good & leave it for five minutes or so.. long enough for you to forget about it and go on about your driving. You’ll no longer notice so much the EQing cause you’re ears have adjusted. Same thing happens when we dial in tones we think we have the holy grail one night only to find the next day sounds like crap. Lol

The 80s and 90s were a lot of high volume. It didn't sound good unless of was loud.

I remember playing with a guitar playing friend of mine, and there were a few occasions where we were so loud, our drummer had gotten pissed off and quit playing. I'd turn around and he'd be glaring at us with his arms folded. Funny thing is, we were too loud to even realized he had stopped. Could have been a few moments or a few minutes ago. We were too loud to notice....

5-6k is as good as it gets for me nowadays.

I can still hear up to around 16.5k in the right ear and about 15k in the left ear......damn drummer cymbals at practice.....I had my left ear facing the drum kit for one band I was in that it damn near killed me how loudly he played....lol

but I have lots of buddies my age, mid to late 40's that dont hear very well at all above 5-6k....so I am very thankful for what i am still capable of hearing.

Back
Top Bottom