How will you use the FM3? Share your upcoming rig ideas!

Gig setup: Guitar --> FM3 --> QSC CP8.

Home studio: Instrument/Mic --> FM3 --> Computer & Monitors

Basically, I'm such a minimalist that this thing will be replacing everything I can with it. I'm really hoping it can double as an always-on USB interface with no issues.
i use the CP8 as well. love it.

My basic setup is as follows.

FM3 layout 2 is set as the startup layout, which I've set up as follows:
  • Switch 1: Scene 1; no hold function - GREEN
  • Switch 2: Scene 2; no hold function - YELLOW
  • Switch 3: Scene 3; no hold function - RED
The first external switch will change the layout from 2 Scenes to 1 Presets, which I've set up as follows:
  • Switch 1: Preset -1 (limited to 400-432, wrap). Hold for -10.
  • Switch 2: Preset +1 (limited to 400-432, wrap) Hold for +10.
  • Switch 3: Return to layout 2.
The second switch is a stand in with tap tempo and tuner.

The expression pedal is external 1. This will be a wah, volume or whammy, depending on the preset/scene.

I run stereo over XLR to two RCF NX12s. XLR THRUs on these go to the mixer/PA. I'd like to switch to some smaller monitors.

A few presets use only one scene. These have per-preset effects programmed for switches two and three in the scene layout.

Last edited:
Guitar--FM3--2x headrush 108s

Fm3 will be my first Fractal product. I'll be using it at home, jamming through two headrush 108s. (I've been using them with a few different plugins on the PC and I must say stereo is a blast!) Can't beat them for a cheap stereo rig. I'll also be using it at church with output 1L going to FOH and output 2 going to one HR108s as a monitor. I didn't jump on the wait list till November 7th so it will probably be a long wait for me.

I plan on getting the FM3 and selling my Hotone Ampero, then I'll use the FM3 for playing at home and recording primarily with my set of Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones. I will also use it live eventually and pair it with a Headrush 1x8" or 1x12". Will most likely have like 3 main presets filled with 8 scenes and lots of channel switching on amp and cab blocks.

Mostly just recording, playing only very occasionally live.
So FM3will be my guitar recording interface straight into Macbook Pro/Cubase via USB. For vocals tracking, I will continue to use my UA Apollo Twin, I love the sound of the UA610A/B and Neve1073 Unison preamp sims.

I don't gig; I'll mostly just be using the FM3 with headphones, or sometimes with small monitors, and sometimes using my laptop for backing tracks/MIDI control of presets/scenes. I'm considering an FC6 for extra switches, though maybe that's overkill. And a single EV-2.

@Admin M@ I believe you've indicated before what external switch device you use, but I can't recall. Something you'd recommend?

Very helpful, thanks. I have yet to download the manual, but my tonight. When I first got the Ax8 I had 14 pre's w/scenes etc etc.
Now I rarely use more than 2 presets depending on set list. I will try the set up below. If I don't need the FC6 so much the better. Less to carry! :) Looking forward to learning the functionality of those switches.

My basic setup is as follows.

FM3 layout 2 is set as the startup layout, which I've set up as follows:
  • Switch 1: Scene 1; no hold function - GREEN
  • Switch 2: Scene 2; no hold function - YELLOW
  • Switch 3: Scene 3; no hold function - RED
The first external switch will change the layout from 2 Scenes to 1 Presets, which I've set up as follows:
The second switch is a stand in with tap tempo and tuner.

The expression pedal is external 1. This will be a wah, volume or whammy, depending on the preset/scene.

I run stereo over XLR to two RCF NX12s. XLR THRUs on these go to the mixer/PA. I'd like to switch to some smaller monitors.

A few presets use only one scene. These have per-preset effects programmed for switches two and three in the scene layout.

There are a couple of songs in our set that use five sounds (were scenes on the AX8). I'm trying to game out how to get the same function on the FM3 without buying an FC6. Here's where I'm at:

Layout 1: Preset (bank size 3, layout link to perform layout)
Hold left switch is bank -1; hold right is bank +1; hold middle, Perform layout

Layout 2: Perform (mix of per preset assignments)
View 1:
Tap ( pp#1, pp#2, pp#3 )
Hold (pp#4, pp#5, toggle view)
View 2
Tap ( pp#6, pp#7, pp#8 )
Hold (tuner, Preset layout, toggle view)
Both views, Hold left switch is tuner; hold right is view +1; hold middle, Preset layout

Usual PP assignments:
pp#1 toggle scene 1/5
pp#2 toggle scene 2/6
pp#3 toggle scene 3/7
pp#4 effect
pp#5 effect
pp#6 tap tempo
pp#7 momentary effect
pp#8 toggle scene 4/8

External buttons
1 toggle view
2 tap tempo / tuner

So, will I go nuts trying to toggle between views under combat conditions?

Edited to make the FM3 self sufficient when I don't have the external switch with me.

Edited again to incorporate new thinking after seeing Larry Mitchell's layout.

Last edited:
i use the CP8 as well. love it.

I just got it a couple days ago. I'm tempted to get two and use as studio monitors, they're that good. Just a tiny bit more hissy on standby than my current ones, at short range.

Could the external switch be set to toggle between Layouts so you don't need another switch to get back to Layout 2?

I’m looking forward to simply getting used to how I can best use it with a reduced footprint and fewer switches, without committing to one way of working or selling gear just yet. I’m not planning on changing my AX8 rig until I am sure this or something else can fully replace it. I am initially looking forward to simply throwing this in my backpack for rehearsals.

Not to start any arguments, but I’m also not shying away from the fact that I am looking forward to comparing the FM3 alongside the new Quad Cortex to test capabilities and functionality. These aren’t competing devices, just tools to suit what works best for each individual. I’ll then eventually sell what I don’t require, be it the AX8, the FM3 or the QC.

Just in my home studio..........Well since I have no idea how the footswitch's work I am not sure what I will do as far as setup. I did own and use the LF+jr+ for years when I had my axefx rackmounts (basically all of them at one time or another except the III) and that had layouts (pages) etc which seem similar to to the FM3.
Much has to do with whether I decide to keep or sell my AXC8. Tough decision, but we'll see. My needs , as far as setups are pretty simple sine I am in a studio and not live. With my ax8 I do use scenes and scene controllers in every preset.

I am going to duct tape it to my face and slam my face into walls to change patches. Yeah ... get that image out of your head ... just try ....

Will use with the FC-6 and probably 2 expression pedals but at least 1 for sure.
FM3 buttons will be preset up and down and tuner. FC-6 buttons will be buttons for Scenes 1-6.

Attachments

• 0E3E918D-9194-4E71-A749-02F34A2F1CFF.jpeg
    0E3E918D-9194-4E71-A749-02F34A2F1CFF.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom