New band for old-timers/Zeppelin fans: Greta van Fleet

I've been hearing "Highway Tune" in heavy rotation on the local radio station the last few weeks. I love a stripped down, raw, rock band and like the tune a lot, even if sounds like a old unreleased Zeppelin tune recently discovered in the vaults. They will be an interesting band to follow in the coming years as I suspect they will find their own sound/style if they keep it up. Very refreshing to hear a straight ahead rock band with wailing vocals. So much of the new rock I hear is bland, overproduced, and generic...will keep these guys on my radar.

These guys are from my area - pretty exciting around here that they're doing so well. And they're young - how cool it must be to be that age and being able to be involved in some pretty major events!

Been listening to this a lot the past few days. Safari Song and Highway Tune in particular kick ass. The Zep mimicry doesn’t bother me as I feel they really feel it — it’s not a gimmick.

Black country communion have been ripping Zep for years. Monster players but most of their songs are not very good.
I will check out more of this bands stuff sure! I would rather buy 4 great new songs and 4 albums of BCC material with a total of maybe 5 great songs.....

Last edited:
Love em. I don't care that they sound exactly like zep. They sound like the real Zep time travelled back from their hay day.

They used to say Rush sounded like Zeppelin at first as well - which they did a little bit - and they admit it - but found their own style shortly thereafter. Give these boys some time to mature - maybe they'll eventually sound like Rush! LOL!

We all copied our favorites when we started - give 'em a few years - they're really young.

They used to say Rush sounded like Zeppelin at first as well - which they did a little bit - and they admit it - but found their own style shortly thereafter. Give these boys some time to mature - maybe they'll eventually sound like Rush! LOL!

We all copied our favorites when we started - give 'em a few years - they're really young.

That's exactly what I thought of when I hear the comparisons to Zep; Rush did indeed model themselves after Zep at first and you can hear the influence big time until they found their own sound and path....and look how far, and where, they went. Interesting that, almost 50 years later, Zep is still very influential and inspiring new rock bands.

It's a Marshall Astoria 30 watt.

A very good sounding amp. Going to have to dial one up. Looks like a vintage 30w with KT66.

Yes, hopefully with the increased visibility, we'll see some more inventive experimental stuff there. It's nice to see a band with all the tools, but really hope they can make that leap.

I just listened to Greta Van Fleet's new album and it's really good. There are only 4 new songs and the other 4 are from their 4 song EP. The guitarist get's some nice gritty tones. Even though it's kind of recycled music it's still refreshing to listen to. I hope they keep releasing new music!

I don't know. If it wasn't cool when Kingdom Come did it, why is it now?

When first heard this band I thought back to Kingdom Come(clone) and how much I did't like them. As others have said, there're plenty of other bands that you can hear clear zep influences (early rush,heart, whitesnake, etc...). Having said that, I think these kids are exactly what we need right now...precisely because they are kids. We all know the reality of the shrinking guitar culture that we grew up with, if this sparks other kids to get off the xbox and pick up an actual instrument, then I'm all for it. Maybe this leads to kids going back and discovering zeppelin, which in turn lights a fire. As much as it sounds like zeppelin, it's still a refreshing change from what we have come to expect lately...even if that change isn't exactly original .

Check out their live videos on YouTube. They aren't just a good studio band, they're great live performers too. The guitarist is pretty good at playing solos with his guitar behind his head. They remind me of why I started playing guitar. All their songs on their album are good and they play some unrecorded songs during their live shows that sound good too.

Unearthing this thread. Great band, I've missed them somehow all these years. Today YouTube Music app put them in my queue automatically after my usual stuff, and I was like "wow, this is pretty nice". Here's the song YouTube suggested:

Robert Plant praised them FWIW.

I tried. I just can’t. It’s just too obvious. I think it’s because we were doing the same thing in high school in Detroit in the 70’s. Every song we “wrote” was a blatant rip off of Zeppelin or Rush. I don’t know why exactly but I can’t connect. Listening to them actually bothers me. I can’t get through a song. However, my buddy, the music archivist for the local university, LOVES them. I‘ll end on that positive note.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom