Rick Beato on string gauge

I’m right now in the process of returning to 009’s after years of using 10’s. Not conclusive yet but I’ll return here soon with a comment

Last year went back to 9's on all my Fender guitars, cant tell you why, just felt right and sounds good. Tried with my Gibson's also but in the end went back to 10's (felt good but wrong all at the same time on the Gibson's). I knows makes no sense but that is the only way to describe it.
However I did like the overall sound.

I used to use 10s on most of my guitars, but after I got an Ibanez J.Custom set up with 9s I was totally sold on the feel of that for general playing and now restring with 9s on my 25.5" scale guitars. On 24.75" scale I like to have 10s for a bit of added tension, except on my Shawn Lane signature which has 9s and it's just crazy slinky. 10s go on my 7-string guitars, and I've got 10-80 on my 8-strings. For my jazz guitar I use 11s for better intonation on chords.

Interesting video.

I’ve been 9-10 hopping for a while, and did start on GHS boomer .008’s a billion years ago.

I agree with the video for the most part, but when clean fingerpicking on the bridge pickup, I definately find 10’s to be warmer.

currently using:
(2) Ernie Ball 10’s on my Carvin’s
Ernie Ball 9’s on my RG
Elixir 12’s on my electric acoustic T-5

Been using hybrid slinkies 9-46 for years. Started using standard 10's on some of my guitars lately for a more controlled feel. Use 11 gauge flat wounds on my Joe Pass Epiphone... love the slick buzz free low action.

I've been using pure nickel wrap .009-.040 for probably 20 years. Interestingly, I started on that path with with Fender Bullets that were mentioned.

After recently getting a new guitar that came with nickel plated .000-.042 and combined with the fact that the strings I had been using are no longer made and a .009-040 was not available from anyone, I tried some of those on a couple of my main guitars.

So, I've now gone to a slightly bigger version but still on .009s.

I did use .008s for a bit in my more shreddy period in the early 90's ;)

I was all 10-46 untill we started covering some Zeppelin...couldn't get 2+ bends on 10s! 9s on my LP. Was odd at first, but I just am learning to play a bit less heavy handed anyway. Helps when you are playing 4 hour gigs.

Watched both of those today. I’m not particularly inspired to go back to 9s at the moment, but might consider it more for my aging joints than any tone difference. I know there are sets starting with 007, maybe smaller... where do you stop? I liked the tone and feel of my guitars yesterday. Nothing‘s changed, still like it tonight.

Back
Top Bottom