Need a tip about a 1972 Marshall 50w 1987 type sound

dumbeat

Inspired
Hi-

Im trying to replace my1972 50w JMP LEAD with the AxeFx III but i cant get the clarity and note separation in the Mids, which are such a big "Marshall" thing for me.
Whatever i do with the Axe its either sounding like there is a Veil, a blanket on the sound, that masks all the detail, or its just kind of "Scooped" With no beautiful shiny detail in the Mids...

Can anyone talk about this, or better yet, attach a tweaked preset? Im just getting super frustrated. Obviously played with the EQ, it helps a little but since the detail is not there its just eying the smear.

Thanks!

My favorite classic Marshall tones come from the Badger models and from the Friedman models with the gain pulled back. I also prefer the 1959 SLP model to the Plexi models (which is not reflective of my real amp experience).

My favorite IR/cab block for these is the 20 watt Greenback #36 in the AX8. It puts me in the ballpark of the best vintage Pulsonic Celestions and clones I have played (including my own Pulsonic G12M greybacks).

The AC20 model with the 12ax7 preamp and the Buttery model, each with the #36 IR/cab block do excellent AC/DC (Angus and Malcolm) and Kossoff types of tones.

Im trying to replace my1972 50w JMP LEAD with the AxeFx III but i cant get the clarity and note separation in the Mids, which are such a big "Marshall" thing for me.
Whatever i do with the Axe its either sounding like there is a Veil, a blanket on the sound, that masks all the detail, or its just kind of "Scooped" With no beautiful shiny detail in the Mids...

It's the IR. You have to find the right IR. About 3/4 of the factory 4x12 IRs sound terrible to me and I can't imagine anyone ever using them for anything. There are plenty that sound good though. Audition every single 4x12 IR until you find the ones that you like. Choose a color and mark the ones you like so you never have to go through auditioning them again.

Last edited:
Check out the Ideal tab on the amp block.
Yes, but in real life. If he's going for any kind of realism, altering the master volume isn't the way to go. And since he is trying to replace or replicate a real amp, that's what I assume he is going for. Lowering the master volume will also make the tone even more scooped.

First things first.
How are you comparing them?
Are you playing the JMP through a cab, and the AXE through headphones or FRFR speakers?

If that’s the case, you can either:

1) Mic up your JMP in an isolated room, send the sound to a console, listen to the mic’d up amp through head phones or FRFR monitors, and compare thay to what you’re getting through the Axe.

2) Get a power amp, preferably a Matrix GT1000FX, and do: Axe->Matrix->Cab. Then you have two amplifiers in your room and you can start comparing them both to find whichever model matches your JMP better. Also, try to use the same cabinet for both the JMP and the Axe+Matrix combo.

First things first.
How are you comparing them?
Are you playing the JMP through a cab, and the AXE through headphones or FRFR speakers?

If that’s the case, you can either:

1) Mic up your JMP in an isolated room, send the sound to a console, listen to the mic’d up amp through head phones or FRFR monitors, and compare thay to what you’re getting through the Axe.

2) Get a power amp, preferably a Matrix GT1000FX, and do: Axe->Matrix->Cab. Then you have two amplifiers in your room and you can start comparing them both to find whichever model matches your JMP better. Also, try to use the same cabinet for both the JMP and the Axe+Matrix combo.

I connected the Real 1987 to a load box, from there to an input in the AXE in the same patch as the modeled amp, so they both go to the same cab simulation and it also gives me anoppotunity to have the most close comparison possible, since they live on the same patch and everything.

I connected the Real 1987 to a load box, from there to an input in the AXE in the same patch as the modeled amp, so they both go to the same cab simulation and it also gives me anoppotunity to have the most close comparison possible, since they live on the same patch and everything.

If that’s the case, maybe you could upload a few clips so members here can help you pinpoint the issue.

Back
Top Bottom