New BOSS SY-1000. The Hex-pickup is not dead. Long live the 13-pin plug!

Do you have a Roland GP100 in there??
I use to have one back in the day, only dreaming that one day someone like Cliff would get it right!
My dream came true!

That was the Boss GX700. I used the JMP-1 as pre-amp and the GX700 for CAB simulation and FX, to a pair of JBL EON15

Before the GX700/JMP-1 I had the colorful Art SGX2000. Later I moved to the Boss GT-Pro, Egnater M4, Triaxis, Eventide Eclipse, Palmer, Axon AX100... you name it. Even a damned Muse Receptor to load VST and VSTi! Until Cliff The Savior came with the first Axe-FX, and the game changed.

When I moved to the Axe-FX Standard I still had the VG8 on the floor, running its analog output through the Axe-FX and using it as a MIDI pedal to change presets

Last edited:
The non-disclaimer policy to for the beta testers to publish unofficial videos expired today. Here is the first one
8 patches created by Alex Hutchings

Not exactly how I plan to use it, but it is interesting

And one from Boss

Last edited:
(cough)FishmanTriplePlay(cough,cough)
(cough)great if you want to be tethered to a laptop but otherwise garbage(cough, cough)

on the flipside, RE: GK
(cough)great if you want to be tethered to a Roland box via hardwire connection and be bound to their sounds or be bound to their PTM limitations and whatever other outboard gear needed to make their devices talk to external sound modules(cough, cough)

Either way; you're going to be compromising in some fashion to get this all to play nice

I'm on the list for the FM. The modeling will obviously be better on it than the SY. But the "keep it all in the box at the very least or keep it all in Roland box(es)" pull for me is very strong. We'll see how it pans out.

Interesting. Honestly, looks like a lot of fun, but I don't think I'm creative enough to find a real use for it, so I can't justify the cost. But it does look fun- I could see hooking up one of those pickups on an Ed O'Brien Strat maybe...

The Fishman TriplePlay can't produce any of the sounds that are in the SY-1000. For pitch to MIDI, the TriplePlay is a little better but the software blows and the hardware mode is a pain to configure (and don't get me started about the lame foot controller).
Who cares what sounds it comes with? You can trigger any synth plugin.

Never got the foot controller so I can't speak to that.

Yes the software is a snot rocket.

Well, all the sounds in the SY-1000 are going to track without any issues like the past VG products. The way the SY-1000 produces sounds has nothing to do with doing the normal pitch-to-voltage shenanigans - it is digitally processing the sound of the strings. They respond way more naturally to guitar playing than anything that pitch-to-MIDI has ever done including the TriplePlay - it's not even close IMO. Then there's the virtual guitar stuff with alternate tunings. You can run three synth engines concurrently, it has a nice editor, it has great effects, GT-1000 modeling (you can run up to 4 of these paths). And you can use some portion of this stuff with any guitar (although much more is available with a divided pickup).

Comparing the SY-1000 to the TriplePlay is only comparing one small aspect of the SY-1000. If you don't care about that stuff that's no big deal, but it's way out of the realm of the TriplePlay's capabilities.

Never got the foot controller so I can't speak to that.

Yes the software is a snot rocket.
I've got the foot controller and use the TriplePlay w/a Yamaha Rack Synth...works great, it's wireless, lightning fast w/no glitches, and I can easily trigger and play any sound in the Yamaha Sound Set... After years using the VG8 and then the VG88, I got to hate the 13 pin and soundset limitations.

Reactions: JTI
I've got the foot controller and use the TriplePlay w/a Yamaha Rack Synth...works great, it's wireless, lightning fast w/no glitches, and I can easily trigger and play any sound in the Yamaha Sound Set... After years using the VG8 and then the VG88, I got to hate the 13 pin and soundset limitations.
I wish my TriplePlay experience was anywhere near this successful.

(cough)FishmanTriplePlay(cough,cough)

MIDI Guitar and V-Guitar are different technologies that provide very different results.

The FishmanTriplePlay is only suitable for MIDI guitar, not for V-Guitar, and it requires a computer in order to work

MIDI Guitar converts the guitar notes to MIDI notes (to trigger a MIDI synth), with all its limitations. e.g: velocity and picth bend limited to 256 steps, tracking errors, not capturing playing nuances... Basically, it is like playing a keyboard with the guitar but prone to tracking errors

V-Guitar is a Modeling Technology (real time signal processing), but it is not limited to model Amps and Cabs. It also models string instrument or pickups, from a Nylon guitar to a Rickenbacker, and all kind of synths and weird things. And, as any other modeller, it captures all the playing nuances of the guitar.

The Boss SY-1000 (like the VG-x or the GP-10) does not have an internal MIDI synth. All its sounds, guitars or synths, come from V-Guitar (modeling technology). However, it also has a pitch-to-MIDI converter to trigger external synths through its MIDI output.

Try to play this with the Fishman or with any other Guitar-to-MIDI converter:

Good news: beta testers say that the quality of the nylon and other v-guitars is better than the VG99 and GP-10. Probably as a result of the 32 bit processor. I've already sold my VG99 and GP-10 :p

Last edited:
Good news: beta testers say that the quality of the nylon and other v-guitars is better than the VG99 and GP-10. Probably as a result of the 32 bit processor. I've already sold my VG99 and GP-10 :p
That is good news. I sold my 13-pin Godin guitar (I didn't like it much as a guitar anyway) and VG99 when I got my Axe-FX II. Really interested in this new SY-1000 though... I might have to add a GK pickup to another one of my guitars and pick one up.

I was just talking about midi control without a wire dude calm down. I’ve been around this stuff since it came out, too. Thanks for the treatise though.

I will prolly end up with one of these, if for no other reason than I got a bunch of 13 pin geetars and an apparently insatiable desire to fill the hole in my soul with technology....
but in the meantime let me mention (prolly unnecessarily to The geeks who are on this thread) ...Midi Guitar 2.........
www.jamorigin.com
when I need a quick guitar synth fix, it;s just there for me...and still one of the better non DAW VST hosts.(no affiliation)

Back
Top Bottom