IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
I've never bought any of your packs. Any pdf file or something so I can see what is in these pack as far as captures? Off axis, close mic, distance, how many, etc?

I've never bought any of your packs. Any pdf file or something so I can see what is in these pack as far as captures? Off axis, close mic, distance, how many, etc?
A lot of that info is on the product page.
https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mes-412-trad

Each mic (10 mics in this pack) have 5 “sweet spot” captures on various parts of the speaker. Dynamic mics have an additional 6 off-axis shots as well as 2 close cap edge captures.

Every pack is different. Different mic choices. Different mixes. Different sweet spots. No two cabs are the same...cab packs shouldn’t be either. :)

The sound sample for that new Mesa Traditional sounds amazing! I'm hoping you can do a quick A-B comparison style clip between the Trad and the Oversized packs, with the same amp settings soon.

Also, for someone who already owns your Bogna pack, how would you describe the differences between the Bogna and the MES 412 TRAD?

Not necessarily. I’ve been able to get great vintage and modern tones out of both packs. The speakers are very different from each other, and one isn’t “better” than the other. Just like a Les Paul isn’t “better” than a Strat...they just have different voices depending on the tone you’re going for. Let your ears be your guide and play around with each of them and see what clicks.
@York Audio I tried yesterday the latest Marshall pack with a clean JTM45 (drive 3 Bass 4, rest stock) and changing the speaker impedance and parameters you had in your preset for the JCM800 preset and the output compression to 1.3ish and sounds supreme I really love how nice that amp sounds probably the nicest clear I have found so far on my Suhr Telecaster!!

The sound sample for that new Mesa Traditional sounds amazing! I'm hoping you can do a quick A-B comparison style clip between the Trad and the Oversized packs, with the same amp settings soon.

Also, for someone who already owns your Bogna pack, how would you describe the differences between the Bogna and the MES 412 TRAD?
The Mesa Traditional and OS cabs are apples and oranges when it comes to frequency response. The OS has deeper lows, smooth midrange, and an airy top end. The Traditional has a tighter low end and the low end frequency resonance is higher than the OS. It’s more mid-forward, so it works really well with more scooped amps and it’s better for lead work. The top end is more aggressive, but not as airy as the OS. I’m preparing for NAMM today, but I’ll make a clip if I have time.

I’d say the Bogner is the happy medium between the two, but also sounds very different from both Mesa cabs.

WHY DO YOU HATE MY WALLET SO MUCH????
That mesa trad demo sounds amazing!!!
19 mixes? damn dude, thats going above and beyond ;)
Your wallet and I have actually become good friends, so there’s no hate there. :)

And yup, I made about 12 mixes, and then my beta testers came up with some great mixes too. I’ve had a lot of great feedback on every cab’s mixes, so I thought it would be a nice touch to include more of those with the Traditional pack.

Ok, so I made a quick Traditional/OS comparison clip. Same amp settings and similar mic placement. Honestly, I wish I could tweak the amp to suit each cab separately, but I get that that's not what you're looking for in this comparison. I used a single 57 IR with 20-20k in the cab block. I used the HBE 2018 C45 model since that seems to be a popular amp model at default settings.

The clip switches between the Traditional and OS in mono, and then I spread them wide in stereo for the last part.

hey Justin! bought the pack! Wonderful stuff! Are you able to say what mics are contained for each mix?
Thanks for picking up the pack! I'm glad you're digging it! I list the mic mixes in the manual of every pack. However, to keep the "other guys" from stealing my flavor, I don't list the specific captures or mic levels. I probably shouldn't even list the mics in each mix, but I think it helps the users to hear a mix, like the tone, and then explore the mics in that mix and see if they find something they like better for their tastes.

Wow, the new Mix 14 ( SM7 + F47) of the new TRAD is godly sounding with my IIC++ preset.
As a whole, as much as the oversize cab was sounding great, I feel like the tightness of the Traditionnel better suits the IIC++ (at least on my end).

SM7 + F47 is not the first mic combo I would think of pairing but it such a nice blend.

Ok, so I made a quick Traditional/OS comparison clip. Same amp settings and similar mic placement. Honestly, I wish I could tweak the amp to suit each cab separately, but I get that that's not what you're looking for in this comparison. I used a single 57 IR with 20-20k in the cab block. I used the HBE 2018 C45 model since that seems to be a popular amp model at default settings.

The clip switches between the Traditional and OS in mono, and then I spread them wide in stereo for the last part.

Thanks for picking up the pack! I'm glad you're digging it! I list the mic mixes in the manual of every pack. However, to keep the "other guys" from stealing my flavor, I don't list the specific captures or mic levels. I probably shouldn't even list the mics in each mix, but I think it helps the users to hear a mix, like the tone, and then explore the mics in that mix and see if they find something they like better for their tastes.

Thank you for that, the difference sounds like exactly what I was hoping the Traditional would be. I'll be picking this one up later this week!

@York Audio, do you have a recommendation for a Petrucci "esque" sound from your Mesa TRAD IRs?
According to the documentation, there are no mic combination like the Mix 08 of the OS MESA.

@York Audio, do you have a recommendation for a Petrucci "esque" sound from your Mesa TRAD IRs?
According to the documentation, there are no mic combination like the Mix 08 of the OS MESA.
You may have it with Mix 14 (or one of the other SM7 based mixes...I’m away from my notes at the moment). He’s a fan of the SM7, a 121, and a condenser all blended together. I had one of those lined up, but once you blend in a condenser AND a ribbon mix, the lows and low-mids get murky and the top end suffers. I never LOVED that mix. The Neumann FET 47 is a warmer and more balanced condenser compared to the 414, so I thought that was a great combo to keep the lows and low-mids controlled and retaining clarity in the mids and top end without the super high end sizzle of the 414.

You may have it with Mix 14 (or one of the other SM7 based mixes...I’m away from my notes at the moment). He’s a fan of the SM7, a 121, and a condenser all blended together. I had one of those lined up, but once you blend in a condenser AND a ribbon mix, the lows and low-mids get murky and the top end suffers. I never LOVED that mix. The Neumann FET 47 is a warmer and more balanced condenser compared to the 414, so I thought that was a great combo to keep the lows and low-mids controlled and retaining clarity in the mids and top end without the super high end sizzle of the 414.
Great!

As mentioned above, the mix 14 is my current go to from this pack for my IIC++ preset.

Enjoy NAMM! 🤘

I've been happy with my tone, but felt it was missing a little something. The blackjack cab brought it in spades. Every ir brings something different to the table. I now can achieve a thick chewey tone that is still articulate and has sizzle without ripping your head off!

@York Audio Cab newb here - how would you describe the differences in sounds between your Mesa 412 Traditional / OS packs and the 4x12 Recto cabs from your older bipolar cab pack (now stock with the Axe FX III)? I’m curious about these newer packs, but I’m not sure what differences or possible improvements I could expect. Thanks!

@York Audio Cab newb here - how would you describe the differences in sounds between your Mesa 412 Traditional / OS packs and the 4x12 Recto cabs from your older bipolar cab pack (now stock with the Axe FX III)? I’m curious about these newer packs, but I’m not sure what differences or possible improvements I could expect. Thanks!

The differences are pretty major between the three you mentioned. The new OS compared Bipolar OS is much smoother in the midrange, clearer in the lows, and less harsh in the top end, so it doesn’t hurt as much when you crank it up. It’s a different speaker, different gear, different room, and a much more useful feature set....basically three more years of experience in getting higher quality and better captures between the two.

The OS and Traditional cabs have very different sonic signatures to them. The OS is just BIG... the lows and deeper and it has a little more air on the top end compared to the Trad. The Trad has a tighter low end and is more mid-forward and aggressive IMO. I made a clip at post #90 that compares the two with the same mic position (with a single 57) and same amp and settings to hear the differences between the two.

Having bought IRs from many people I need to say @York Audio ones are my favourites.

I cant wait for him to forget about metal players and do a nice Morgan AC20 or a new reaproach to the old days AC30... Well Justin if you want to keep with the big man noisy amp maybe a Friedman ??

Back
Top Bottom