Does anybody *not* like the Atomic CLR?

^^^ This, plus smallish and light weight, though I realize the $$$ piece of that is mostly likely fantasy. I'd have to wait a while to do a pair of Neos if they WERE available, but they're not, so

How about the short version?
Yes. An improvement in form factor is fairly important as well. Whether it be size, weight, whatever.

Actually; a less cube-y Duece Deluxe with a coax speaker that actually puts out the advertised wattage would be close to doing the trick. Provided the dispersion was decent enough. I honestly didn't start looking at powered monitors until I started setting up my SY300 and remembered how much better synths sound through a powered monitor versus a pair of t75s :(

Also; a Powercab would fit the bill other than the Plenty of power and (most likely great dispersion request). Flat as a CLR but actually available to purchase is the unfortunate ultimate deal breaker in this conversation.
Have you tried the Laney LFR-112?

Tons of power, ported back, and a shit ton of throw.
Clear, Flat, Resonant.

Fairly heavy, cause they're built well, and you don't want a loud cabinet buzzing or rumbling on the floor.
They position up or sideways, tilted or not.

$350 a piece

Reactions: JTI

Clear, Flat, Resonant.

Fairly heavy, cause they're built well, and you don't want a loud cabinet buzzing or rumbling on the floor.

$350 a piece
I've looked at them from afar but haven't went beyond that. Do synths sound fine through them? And acoustic stuff? They have a power amp out feature, iirc; which is super cool. I don't think I've seen them at that price though.

Edited for I think I'm thinking of the IRT-X; not the LFR. Hmmm.

Last edited:
I've looked at them from afar but haven't went beyond that. Do synths sound fine through them? And acoustic stuff? They have a power amp out feature, iirc; which is super cool. I don't think I've seen them at that price though.

Edited for I think I'm thinking of the IRT-X; not the LFR. Hmmm.
Synth, acoustic, vocals, backing track, all sound great.
You could DI out to subs if you wanted to. Very flexible.

I came to the fractal world from an 18 space split chain processed rack with 2 4x12's
I knew the Fractal would cover everything except for the cabs.
I had very high expectations, and im pretty floored at the fact that i now have (2) 12's, instead of 8, with no compromise.
The long throw of the speakers really impress me, as most others cannot.
$350/ per is the price i paid on Reverb (new)

With the volume at 1/4, and the AXE output one knob @ 10 o'clock its scaring my pets, and putting a giant smile on my face.

Attachments

• IMG_9031.JPG
    IMG_9031.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Synth, acoustic, vocals, backing track, all sound great.
That price is what i paid on Reverb

With the volume at 1/4, and the AXE output one knob @ 10 o'clock its scaring my pets, and putting a giant smile on my face.
Nice! Thanks for the informed suggestion! I might have to go shopping :D

You're welcome. I love them!
One more question I think I know the answer to. I assume it's not a coaxial design? As in tweeter up in the corner then the custom 12 mounted in the center of the cab? Not necessarily a deal breaker but I do like the combined woofer and tweeter versus PA speaker styled woofer/tweeter separation.

One more question I think I know the answer to. I assume it's not a coaxial design? As in tweeter up in the corner then the custom 12 mounted in the center of the cab? Not necessarily a deal breaker but I do like the combined woofer and tweeter versus PA speaker styled woofer/tweeter separation.
Thats correct. The tweeter isn't suspended. On my conventional EV PA speaker you can distinctly tell where the two sounds are coming from, which would be very annoying, and a deal breaker for me, as far as frfr application.
I think they did a great job engineering this frfr speaker, cause it comes at you, as one sound. No issue at all there.
The only thing you have to check is where the HF trim pot is set when shipped to you.
Obviously a neutral setting of zero, is where you want them.

Thats correct. The tweeter isn't suspended. On my conventional EV PA speaker you can distinctly tell where the two sounds are coming from, which would be very annoying, and a deal breaker for me, as far as frfr application.
I think they did a great job engineering this frfr speaker, cause it comes at you, as one sound. No issue at all there.
The only thing you have to check is where the HF trim pot is set when shipped to you.
Obviously a neutral setting of zero, is where you want them.
Got it. Thanks for the explanation. You go to research some features of gear and can end up in the weeds without even trying at times. Bunch of great reviews across the board on these. I did find one guy who said he felt it was pushed to the limits headroom wise. He also played in a metal band and who knows what he was feeding it and what the other musicians were monitoring with and how loud they were overall. We are a dance band so 200 watts should absolutely do the trick in my case. Again; thanks!

Got it. Thanks for the explanation. You go to research some features of gear and can end up in the weeds without even trying at times. Bunch of great reviews across the board on these. I did find one guy who said he felt it was pushed to the limits headroom wise. He also played in a metal band and who knows what he was feeding it and what the other musicians were monitoring with and how loud they were overall. We are a dance band so 200 watts should absolutely do the trick in my case. Again; thanks!
I CANNOT imagine clipping the amp!

I have a close friend thats in a top 40 wedding and dance band.
He recently tried and loves my Laneys, but at the moment, the whole band is using in ear monitors.
He can't stand the isolation of in ears, and misses the sound of cabs.
We talked about a hybrid approach, that still uses the frfr's.
I told him to borrow them to try live. I already know the outcome of that!

You will not be craving more power, in fact, strongly suggest you turn the power attenuator down to at least half.
Its 200 watts RMS, not peak.

I CANNOT imagine clipping the amp!

I have a close friend thats in a top 40 wedding and dance band.
He recently tried and loves my Laneys, but at the moment, the whole band is using in ear monitors.
He can't stand the isolation of in ears, and misses the sound of cabs.
We talked about a hybrid approach, that still uses the frfr's.
I told him to borrow them to try live. I already know the outcome of that!

You will not be craving more power, in fact, strongly suggest you turn the power attenuator down to at least half.
Its 200 watts RMS, not peak.
That is very good to know.

I did not like mine and sent it back. Too sterile and stiff and bright IMO. Xitone is a much better way to go!

I did not like mine and sent it back. Too sterile and stiff and bright IMO. Xitone is a much better way to go!
You sure it didn't ship with the HF attenuator at +6 like mine did?
I thought is was bad too, until i brought it down to flat 0
I definitely don't have an issue with them sounding stiff or sterile, and im terribly picky.

Hi @PincoTech ,

What is the "HF attenuator"? Is it the Sub on/off?

Thanks

I only have experience with Cerwin Vega loudspeakers and Xitone passives with a gt1000fx. And the Xitones sound great. But nothing compares to the tone coming out of good studio monitors. My Yamaha HS8’s sound perfect. As soon as I push the db’s through more powerful speakers something is lost. I highly recommend studio monitors for finding the tones you want and for any recording. And always remember that you are listening to a mic’ed recording. It won’t sound like an amp in the room. I find myself working on tones and doing songwriting exclusively through my studio monitors. I think with more powerful speakers this emphasizes the difference more than ever.

Reactions: ESW
I have two CLRs, they're fantastic speakers. They're exceptionally clear and flat, and sound just as good at night time ultra quiet volumes as they do at live volume, just like any great monitor should.

Once I called Atomic to ask a question or two and ended up speaking with Tom King at length about speakers in general, guitar tone, etc. The guy was super nice and personable, and I had a great time talking shop with him.

Absolutely zero complaints from me. Really top notch company.

Clear, Flat, Resonant.

$350 a piece

Sure would like to see exactly where you are seeing them @ that price. Reverb has them @ almost double that as well as others.

Back
Top Bottom