Halldorophone - Hildur Guðnadóttir - Joker - Arrival (Johannsson)

harmaes

Inspired
I'm composing in contemporary / neo-classical styles and I've been very interested in the sound of the Halldorophone.

Hildur Guðnadóttir uses this instrument in her work from recent years like Joker, Arrival (Johannsson) etc.
I've been wondering what we can achieve with guitar, Axe FX III, ebows, sustainers etc.?

Anyone experimented in this area and wants to share?

sustainer + looping + creative sound design

i don't think you'll be able to achieve the timbre of that particular instrument, it's very unique and very different from a guitar (assuming you're using a guitar). creating drones/loops and playing over them is certainly possible and the addition of a sustainer will give you control over note envelope in conjunction with a volume pedal.

i think you might need to separate the instrument from the techniques...understand the techniques and then apply them to your own instrument

sustainer + looping + creative sound design

i don't think you'll be able to achieve the timbre of that particular instrument, it's very unique and very different from a guitar (assuming you're using a guitar). creating drones/loops and playing over them is certainly possible and the addition of a sustainer will give you control over note envelope in conjunction with a volume pedal.

i think you might need to separate the instrument from the techniques...understand the techniques and then apply them to your own instrument
Thanks Simeon!

I was looking into sustain pedals and eBows for guitar and bass. I noticed a video of a guy playing fretless bass with 2 eBows (dual) glued together. I think you must be lucky how that turns out on guitar (positioning over the strings) so FreqOut from digitech combined with an eBow could also work.

I have many string, cello and related libraries I could work with as well running them through the same pedals / sustainers etc. I normally only use cello libraries for sketching and work with a real cellist to play the final lines. For this kinda work I guess a library could also work as it's not that perfect sounding.
Or I could buy a Halldorophone and learn to play cello :)

Back
Top Bottom