3D Printed External FC Switch Box / Expression Box

I ordered those same switches. I picked them by the shape of the button, squared edge vs beveled. How does it feel on push? Same as FC's or harder?

About the same amount of force but a shorter throw. You can certainly tell they're cheaper than the FC switches. They don't have that nice positive click. Kinda mushy.

About the same amount of force but a shorter throw. You can certainly tell they're cheaper than the FC switches. They don't have that nice positive click. Kinda mushy.

Good to know. Thanks. I was comparing them to the LF Jr/LF+ Jr+ pedals I have & the LF+ switches are way softer too.

Here's my finished box. I ended up using some Kaish switches from Amazon. They've got the 10mm top and come with a cool looking nylon washer that trimmed it out nicely I think. I might still add a big knob controller on the top at some point. Thanks again @creativespiral !

You betcha! Happy to help out this community.

Looks like your external box turned out great!.. so smooth.

So, are the stl files of the singe wide version the correct dimensions from front to back, or if printed with PLA would they be a little too long as your picture shows?

So, are the stl files of the singe wide version the correct dimensions from front to back, or if printed with PLA would they be a little too long as your picture shows?

Yeah, the .stl depth dimensions of both the double wide and single wide are the same. My double wide is probably about 1/8in deeper than the dimension of the FC (without the ends on). Results will vary based on material printed with. ABS shrinks up to 6-8%, and PLA up to 2-4%... depending on the quality of the material.

Sitting beside the FC with its ends on, you would never really notice the difference.

Have been using this setup for several months now. Works great! Rock solid / stable. Quick access to Tuner, Reveal Holds, Layout Navigation, and a few other functions with switch hold. Frees up all the switches on FC-12 for parameters that benefit from real time display info and on/off led feedback.

Fractal-FC-Extension-Box.jpg

I have a homebrew box built in a Hammond 1590D enclosure with a knob on it which gets used for delay mix quite frequently.

Screen%20Shot%202020-01-17%20at%203.19.31%20PM.png

These settings work well with my delay input to control delay blend from the input side, yielding a nice 10% log taper with the mid point of the knob being a sensible amount of delay, and going up and down smoothly from there.

These settings would probably also work well with other effects.

HTH!

Yeah, the .stl depth dimensions of both the double wide and single wide are the same. My double wide is probably about 1/8in deeper than the dimension of the FC (without the ends on). Results will vary based on material printed with. ABS shrinks up to 6-8%, and PLA up to 2-4%... depending on the quality of the material.

Sitting beside the FC with its ends on, you would never really notice the difference.

Have been using this setup for several months now. Works great! Rock solid / stable. Quick access to Tuner, Reveal Holds, Layout Navigation, and a few other functions with switch hold. Frees up all the switches on FC-12 for parameters that benefit from real time display info and on/off led feedback.

View attachment 62374
Very well done, awesome.

What would you guess the total cost was? Outside of the 3D printer itself, which I also don't have.

What would you suggest for folks who want a box like that but don't have the printer? Can you rent time on one somewhere? I'm very out of this loop...

Last edited:
Any plan to produce 4-button box for use with FM3?

I looked into it... got a quote a while back for ~$2300 for 100 printed enclosures from Slant3D, but that didn't include the bottom plate... and I had some doubts about the way they wanted to print it (on side rather than in normal orientation) I think it would require a round or two of proofs, which they would probably charge for, and the bottom plates need to be created too, so I'm guessing maybe ~$3000 for 100 PLA printed enclosures. aka: ~$30ea for the enclosures. The raw electronics cost and misc components cost is probably another $25-$35 per unit depending on specific components chosen... so they would probably cost about $55-$65 for COGS, based on my research (and the cost of electronics for the one that I built)... Maybe at higher volumes or with the right industry connections, it could be less, but that's what I had calculated.

For assembly time, that could probably be streamlined and average maybe 20-30 minutes for electronics soldering, assembly, testing, quality control, and finishing... depending on whether the enclosures would need any additional sanding and finishing work.... at least that is my assessment. And then dealing with setting up a web shop, doing marketing, and fulfillment of orders is potentially another time sink, depending on how often trips to shipping facilities is required.

My feeling was that the retail price would have to be at least $150-$175 to make it worthwhile for the investment the time and money to do a run of 100 units... Or could be like maybe $100-$125 as a kit option that you have to solder and assemble yourself. I think that may be a reasonable price that people would be willing to pay, considering the cost of previous generation of custom boxes for Axe2/MFC (ie: the Roadrunner box which I love and still use), and other specialty switch/pot boxes on the market.

HOWEVER, just based on my current schedule with work/family/music, I came to the conclusion that I just don't have the time to take it on, even assuming 100 units sold at that price. If someone else wanted to take on assembly+fulfillment, I'd consider co-investing in upfront costs and doing the web store / marketing aspect.

OR -- if Fractal just wants to just take it on as an internal product, that might be the most logical thing for the community. I think it could be a popular product, and logical accessory to the AxeFx3 and FM3. Fractal team, any thoughts? - Can you guys create an ext switch box accessory? Seems like a product that would look right at home beside the EV Pedals on shop.fractalaudio.com

I've been using my custom box for about a year now, and its been great... built like a tank, and having the four extra footswitches and two knobs is super convenient for extending capabilities of the FC.

Back
Top Bottom