Ideas for auto-pan?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Last night I came up with the idea to try and create an auto-pan effect like an electric piano where the panning alternates from left to right with each consecutive note that is played. I love that effect when I play around with Midi Guitar 2.

I tried to come up with a way to trigger a controller on the Pan control in a Volume block, but couldn't crack the secret.

Trying to think about it now (while not in front of the Axe Fx), I'm wondering if I could assign the Envelope controller to the Run control of an LFO or Sequencer that is controlling the Pan?

I'm hoping @Bakerman, @simeon or @Admin M@ will chime in as this is something that seems right in their respective wheelhouses.

Anyone else is more than welcome to chime in. :)

So each burst of input is what forces the ping pong? do you have an audio example of this? I’ve only ever heard LFO style panning where it’s a regular pattern, not based on when you play. Would be cool to hear.

So each burst of input is what forces the ping pong? do you have an audio example of this? I’ve only ever heard LFO style panning where it’s a regular pattern, not based on when you play. Would be cool to hear.
I can create one... But won't be until tomorrow.

If you load the iPad app called "FM Player 2" it has a check button called Auto Pan...

It's really a cool effect!

The Axe doesn't allow doing something like this easily, as far as I can tell.

First you'd probably want to set up pick detection via ADSR, which would mean importing an Axe II preset or figuring out the SysEx commands to assign the necessary modifiers.

The tougher step is getting some other controller value to toggle based on each ADSR trigger. There might be a way to make an LFO do that, but it would be more complicated than just having ADSR briefly run the LFO.

The Axe doesn't allow doing something like this easily, as far as I can tell.

First you'd probably want to set up pick detection via ADSR, which would mean importing an Axe II preset or figuring out the SysEx commands to assign the necessary modifiers.

The tougher step is getting some other controller value to toggle based on each ADSR trigger. There might be a way to make an LFO do that, but it would be more complicated than just having ADSR briefly run the LFO.
Hmm... Thanks for the info!

Maybe a wish is in order. Some sort of "ping pong" controller that could alternate between on and off based on pick attack (envelope).

That could have a lot of creative uses.

Although not quite what the original post asked for, it could maybe be possible to make something cool with the envelope follower to make the panning interact with the playing

Although not quite what the original post asked for, it could maybe be possible to make something cool with the envelope follower to make the panning interact with the playing
Yeah, I played with that...

I also found another electric piano in a different synth app the seems to do panning relative to pitch. If you look at the keyboard, panning goes from left to right as the note you play does the same.

The easiest way to pull this off in the Axe Fx III is to use the panning block with a dynamics modifier. The key will be setting the dynamics within your normal range of picking dynamics so the the untriggered value is a hard pan left, and the triggered value is hard pan right.

The easiest way to pull this off in the Axe Fx III is to use the panning block with a dynamics modifier. The key will be setting the dynamics within your normal range of picking dynamics so the the untriggered value is a hard pan left, and the triggered value is hard pan right.
I don't think so. I don't want panning based on how hard I pick... I want panning to alternate on each picked note.

So you want dynamic panning...

The only thing I've seen come close is like a Boss GT-10 that can do dynamic distortion/delay/effects...

A stereo volume pedal can do this in the real world- but it's manual

A vibraphone has a motor that moves at one speed to make it vibrato...

A whirlizer/electric piano have amps/effects/moving speakers-- but all of it is fixed... it's not really dyanmic...

I tried to set this up with the sequencer and envelope follower but couldn’t get it to work. Basically what would be needed is a way for the sequencer to step just one step every time the envelope crosses a threshold.

Want to mess with this a bit tonight, but in the interim, at the risk of stating the obvious, you can easily achieve this if you consider it "auto" enough to simply tie pan to an expression pedal 😊

I tried to set this up with the sequencer and envelope follower but couldn’t get it to work. Basically what would be needed is a way for the sequencer to step just one step every time the envelope crosses a threshold.

what about a very short ADSR to trigger? Min values.

Back
Top Bottom