Help with “Bark at the Moon” Solo FX Setting

bishop5150

Fractal Fanatic
Was curious if one of our preset guru’s could try to nail the fx setting on the "Bark at the Moon" solo. Sounds like it’s either a Flanger or Phaser or both.
I’m pretty happy with what I currently use in my Ozzy tribute but would be cool to really nail it.
Solo starts at the 2:00 mark.

Last edited:
Apparently this is Jake's board from the mid 80's. BF-2 with what looks Manual & Depth at around 1 o'clock and Rate & Res (Feedback) at 10/11 o'clock.

JakeELeePedals1986.jpg

I just tried the following settings in the Flanger as a starting point
BBF-2 type
Rate - 0.3hz
Depth - 30%
Feedback - 60%
Manual - 6

Overall it was more pronounced sounding than the recording - dialling the mix down to 30% certainly helps but it could definitely do with some fine tuning. If anyone has a real BF-2 they could try these settings out and compare with the Axe for reference.

Apparently this is Jake's board from the mid 80's. BF-2 with what looks Manual & Depth at around 1 o'clock and Rate & Res (Feedback) at 10/11 o'clock.

JakeELeePedals1986.jpg

I just tried the following settings in the Flanger as a starting point
BBF-2 type
Rate - 0.3hz
Depth - 30%
Feedback - 60%
Manual - 6

Overall it was more pronounced sounding than the recording - dialling the mix down to 30% certainly helps but it could definitely do with some fine tuning. If anyone has a real BF-2 they could try these settings out and compare with the Axe for reference.
Thanks for taking the time to look into it Leon! I will give those settings a go. Cool find with the pedalboard pic!
Most of the live recordings I’ve heard of Jake playing “Bark” he doesn’t use any FX on the solo. 🤷‍♂️

I'm almost sure it's a phaser. I wrote a preset for this sing using a phaser and it's dead on. I'll have my axe home on sunday and I'll post the preset and add a clip

I'm almost sure it's a phaser. I wrote a preset for this sing using a phaser and it's dead on. I'll have my axe home on sunday and I'll post the preset and add a clip
I was wondering about that. Jake uses some phaser in a few other songs on the album.
This is what I've been using for awhile now. Solo is the 2:00 mark, It's close enough I guess.

Last edited:
@bishop5150 I agree with @keithguitarfan Pretty sure it's a Phaser. If you can find a copy of the 1984 BatM DVD/Concert, you can hear it really well.

Found this on youtube. It's from the DVD. Not the best quality but you can pick it out a bit on the non verse sections if you have headphones on.

@bishop5150 hope to catch one of your guys shows someday.

@2112 Good so see you're ok down there.

Back
Top Bottom