Question Regarding Using Expression Knobs

Now that I re-read the OP, my approach won't help you. I want the expression pedal setting to work across presets which is exactly what you don't want. So, in my best Emily Litella voice, "never mind"

I have 2 knobs on the front of my rack going into the Expression Pedal 1 and 2 on the back of the AXE.

The first one is tied to my lead boost (for every preset). This allows me to adjust how much of a boost I get when I switch to my lead channel.

The 2nd knob is tied to a sampler that's buried in the back of my rack. I have a separate output for the samples (this is used at most shows). But this allows me to mix the samples into my guitar outputs which is useful for rehearsals and channel-limited PA systems.

View attachment 61905
Question: why not just use expression pedals for this so you don't have to go back to the unit every time to make adjustments? The range of the pedal can be set to cover the same range as the knobs. Also, the samples idea is cool. What kind of samples are you using?

Question: why not just use expression pedals for this so you don't have to go back to the unit every time to make adjustments? The range of the pedal can be set to cover the same range as the knobs. Also, the samples idea is cool. What kind of samples are you using?
In general, I only need to adjust these once at the beginning of a show/rehearsal, and not something I adjust in real time. So, this was a much easier more compact setup than putting additional expression pedals on the floor.

For samples, I am using an EHX 45000 for samples and intros. It's a basic looper, but it allows me to load and play samples by midi. However, I would NOT recommend this unit. I am looking for an alternative. There are some midi limitations with the 45000 that really complicate this setup and this has resulted in unwanted delays in our show which is unacceptable to me (any recommendations for a computer-less why to trigger samples by midi are welcome!).

(any recommendations for a computer-less why to trigger samples by midi are welcome!).

I could forsee how we could use midi triggered samples playing, I'd be interested as well.

I have never used it, but would the FAMC Liquid Tracks work? I don't even know if it' still available or if FAMC is still open for business. They were looked upon favorably for I/II era, dunno about now.

In general, I only need to adjust these once at the beginning of a show/rehearsal, and not something I adjust in real time. So, this was a much easier more compact setup than putting additional expression pedals on the floor.

For samples, I am using an EHX 45000 for samples and intros. It's a basic looper, but it allows me to load and play samples by midi. However, I would NOT recommend this unit. I am looking for an alternative. There are some midi limitations with the 45000 that really complicate this setup and this has resulted in unwanted delays in our show which is unacceptable to me (any recommendations for a computer-less why to trigger samples by midi are welcome!).
Got it. You might try adding the parameters you want to adjust to the global performance page.
In my current band our keyboardist can trigger samples by touching a key on one of his keyboards. He also has a trigger pad which he uses to trigger samples percussion sounds. Seems to work well. Maybe use a small midi keys unit so it’s easy to transport.

Now that I re-read the OP, my approach won't help you. I want the expression pedal setting to work across presets which is exactly what you don't want. So, in my best Emily Litella voice, "never mind"

Actually, your approach may work for me if I use "Channels" (for example) more effectively.

Let's say I have the "Mix" for Channel "A" of the Delay Block set to a Min 9% / Max 25% on the min/max parameter of my Expression "Pedal".
I realize during the gig that I would like to increase it to 15% and I want to use an expression knob to make an adjustment on the fly. However, I don't want the delay mix of Channel "B" changed.

Is it possible to have the Expression "Knob" turned to full-off and read whatever the Expression "Pedal" min is set to and then increase that setting by turning up the knob?

i.e. Expression "Knob" set at 0 = Min Setting of Expression "Pedal"

Also, I assume I would have to have my expression knob assigned to the mix parameter for Channel "A" only and not "B" for this to work, correct?

Back
Top Bottom