Would you dislike a 4U Axe-Fx 4?

J-C

Inspired
I have the space for it. I can only imagine the goodies cliff could pack in that thing. I welcome it!

I was sure that one of the main advantages of amp modellers was being far more portable than any amp they may model. In other words - the ease of gigging with them.
I get it if it's just gonna sit in the studio, or you have the money to hire people to pull your hardware around...

I was disappointed, that Axe FX 3 was 3U. That's already way too much for me. Also, with my Matrix power amp, that's already 4U... Way too much.
So, for my needs, the 3U size made it an unlikely upgrade for me from Axe FX 2.

Even though it's convenient, I said - I don't need a flashy screen, just make it easy for me to carry around to gigs and rehearsals. That matters to me more.

As I said before: I'd happily buy another unit if either it was smaller, or saved space or headaches in another way - had a dedicated power amp built in, for example. FM3 + Powerstage 170 is a complete win. It will even give me the cool AXe 3 screen! It's gonna be perfect for me.

I would prefer a 1U rack solution that is easy to use live, or simple studio. Give me an Axe with the 1U simplicity of say the GSP 1101, with the basic adjustments and knobs for pre, master, and tone. Save the deep editing for Axe-Edit. If you have to, add a mode to switch the unit into deep editing, but the power-on default would be basic. Keep it simple and fun.

Then, keep the FM3 and future generations as a small, portable solution. Keep it fast and fun. If we need more controls, we can always daisy FCs and pedals.

Lastly, have a multi-unit rack solution like Axe FX III with all the I/O you might need for studio use. Once you get to 3U, or more, imo it gets to be too much, even for studio. Most everyone uses a computer and display these days anyway.

For any of these solutions, if the real estate is a concern for I/O options, perhaps a break-out box solution could be an option for folks that need all that I/O.

If that extra space were for a hex-pickup input and a hex-processor with V-Guitar, Poly-Synth, Poly-Harmonizer, Poly-Distortion, Poly-SlowGear, IR loader for pickup and guitar body IR,s etc... then I wouldn't mind.

But release it fast! Because I am already on the waiting list for the Boss SY-1000 :p

Last edited:
1 or 2 u with a small screen that shows the basics, and a large touch screen that is hinged and pushes into the front panel for gigs and transport. Pushing the screen when it’s in the panel emits a little click, and it springs out of the case like an expensive tv on a super yacht, and hinges up so you can see heaps and modify all parameters on the touch screen.
Ha that would be cool, but a lot of work to implement reliably!
i will not keep my hopes up ;-)
thanks
pauly

1 or 2 u with a small screen that shows the basics, and a large touch screen that is hinged and pushes into the front panel for gigs and transport. Pushing the screen when it’s in the panel emits a little click, and it springs out of the case like an expensive tv on a super yacht, and hinges up so you can see heaps and modify all parameters on the touch screen.
thanks
pauly
1U, no screen, just some knobs, with custom functions you might need for a live gig (EQ, gain, whatevs). Maybe a tiny screen for Tuner.
Connect a phone or tablet, wirelessly or wired, for the rest of controls and preset building...

My opinion only, I think the reasons for the Axe-III being 3U are on the outside of the box: the bigger screen and all the extra inputs and outputs on the back. There's a lot of empty space inside -- it didn't seem to be needed to give the III more horsepower.

From what I gathered 3U was necessary in order for proper cooling of the CPU's and unit. Similarly for the II. That's why the II and III can't be replicated in a floor unit of equal performance. And I reckon that makes sense because when I see the cooling monster that sits atop my desktop CPU and compare that to the tiny ass coolers my old desktops had I understand that performance comes at a price. Although 4U is a kiss of death, size wise.

thanks
pauly

Most people don't bother with the screen to edit their presets. I couldn't do it if my life depended on it, I only use Axe Edit. Eliminating the screen would be perfectly fine by me, as long as there is proper blue tooth support, or easier access for USB connectivity, especially at the front. This should never EVER be at the back. And Axe-Edit should also be able to run on Android and other mobile devices.

III_circuit.jpg

Plenty of room in there right now, to stash extra goodies. As technology marches forth, a CPU's capability will only increase/size, and become more efficient - which equals less heat, less cooling. This will invariably lead to smaller form factors with greater capabilities, not larger form factors.

..for example... The first 5mb hard-drive. ...which replaced the 64,000 punched cards.

1956_RAMAC_P1.jpg

...Look at the FM3 .... ... :0) ...yeah, okay :0) ...But, the FM3 has a smaller form-factor than the AX8 with more processing power than the AX8. So, I wouldn't be expecting a four-rack unit. I don't see the real need for that chassis, even IF four-stuffed-spaces of pure-processing-chonk was a desired thing; and I can't imagine that it is.

I trust that Fractal will always do what’s necessary to put out the best of their capabilities. Whatever that happens to be, I’ll adjust. I’m just happy to be able to use the products. At this point, there are enough options to work with any size. You may have to sacrifice little things like running 2 amps at once with an FM3, but none of that is detrimental in the context of playing music live.

I actually use the screen for about half of my editing. Having the larger 3 Unit is a pain to haul around but I have really enjoyed the bigger screen.

Most people don't bother with the screen to edit their presets. I couldn't do it if my life depended on it, I only use Axe Edit. Eliminating the screen would be perfectly fine by me, as long as there is proper blue tooth support, or easier access for USB connectivity, especially at the front. This should never EVER be at the back. And Axe-Edit should also be able to run on Android and other mobile devices.

I actually use the screen for about half of my editing. Having the larger 3 Unit is a pain to haul around but I have really enjoyed the bigger screen.

Actually there are lots of people who use the front panel! And there are some like me who almost NEVER use axe edit and use ONLY the front panel (the way it should be IMHO!)

There are lots of ways to navigate a 1U panel, been using them since the 80s, but I DO prefer and appreciate the big display on the iii

hi muad’zin
i actually prefer the usb on the back. having said that, one on the front would be handy out of the studio.
thanks
pauly

From what I gathered 3U was necessary in order for proper cooling of the CPU's and unit. Similarly for the II. That's why the II and III can't be replicated in a floor unit of equal performance. And I reckon that makes sense because when I see the cooling monster that sits atop my desktop CPU and compare that to the tiny ass coolers my old desktops had I understand that performance comes at a price. Although 4U is a kiss of death, size wise.

Back
Top Bottom