Multiple Buzzing Sounds

I turned on my FX 3 last night, and the first thing I noticed was that some of the factory presets had no buzzing, and some did. The ones that have more buzzing, have a louder sound profile when playing. Makes sense I guess.
That buzzing is interference. The more gain a preset uses, the more that interference gets amplified. The more the interference gets amplified, the louder the buzzing. "Real" amps work that way, too.

When the guitar is plugged in, the buzzing is a higher pitched buzz. If I unplug the cable from the guitar only, the buzz is more a of lower-pitched hum. So it is not just the guitar, but the cable also.
What happens when you unplug the cable from both ends?

I would think that someone who has created a buzz-free preset could enlighten us on how to not have buzzing?!
All of the presets are buzz-free when there's no source of interference in the room. Best to eliminate the source of the interference, if you can. If you can't, use the noise gate on the input block.

Last edited:
I'll do more testing, but I'm sure I would experience the same thing as some other poster who said he turned off all circuit breakers in the house except the Axe outlet, and would still get the buzzing.
How can you be sure if you haven't tried it?

It has to be the presets.
There's nothing in the presets that causes buzzing. Buzzing comes from radio-frequency interference, almost all of which gets in through your guitar.

For example, do you have buzzing on 020 Euro Uber?
If I'm using a guitar with humbuckers while standing in the middle of the room, then no, I don't get buzzing. If I hold that same guitar next to the Wi-Fi router that's in the room, then hell yes, I get buzzing. Bunches of it.

That buzzing is interference. The more gain a preset uses, the more that interference gets amplified. The more the interference gets amplified, the louder the buzzing. "Real" amps work that way, too.

What happens when you unplug the cable from both ends? No buzzing

All of the presets are buzz-free when there's no source of interference in the room. Best to eliminate the source of the interference, if you can. If you can't, use the noise gate on the input block.

How can you be sure if you haven't tried it? I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

There's nothing in the presets that causes buzzing. Buzzing comes from radio-frequency interference, almost all of which gets in through your guitar.

If I'm using a guitar with humbuckers while standing in the middle of the room, then no, I don't get buzzing. If I hold that same guitar next to the Wi-Fi router that's in the room, then hell yes, I get buzzing. Bunches of it.

What happens when you unplug the cable from both ends? No buzzing
That means it's interference getting in through your guitar and/or cable. It's not coming from your Axe-Fx.

Plug in your guitar, listen to the buzz, and then move your guitar around — all over the room. See where the buzz is the worst.

A buzz, a tick tick tick, buzz fluctuates in tone and volume. No cell phone near it.
This question is going to sound silly. Are you wearing a watch while playing?

With higher gain amps, your pickups will actually amplify the sound of your watch if you are wearing it.

I know because I found that happening.

Also, unless my 13 year old lcd Samsung computer monitor is unplugged, my guitar and bass pickups actually pick up the power supply sound of that monitor, unless I'm standing at a 90 degree angle 15 feet away from it.

Never posted here before but I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for their advice. I had a really annoying buzzing/humming sound that I couldn't get rid of for months, even when using very strict noise gates. It was especially prevalent when sustaining chords or trying to play staccato djenty riffs. I thought there was something wrong with my pickups, guitar cables, or AXE FX III unit but it turns out I was just getting a lot of interference from my PC, router, monitors, etc. Just facing away from those when playing made a big difference, and completely turning them off basically eliminated the hum completely. I can't believe I didn't think of something so simple earlier and am really glad I stumbled across this thread or I may have been struggling with this issue for many months to come.

Back
Top Bottom