Playing Outside - Freezing Cold

Just did an outdoor "Oyster Roast" a few weeks ago where the temp at night dropped rapidly. At starting time the temp was 30F (~ -1C) and dropped to about 25F (~ -4C). We had a propane heater and a kerosene heater on stage. The fretboard seemed to be in a tropic and arctic climate zone at the same time. I wore polartec long johns, an army surplus skull cap, foot heating pads and gave everyone hand warmers. We played three hours. Never had one issue with the AxeIII or any of the other equipment. For sure though, the brain moves much quicker than the fingers. :eek:

Wow. The neck must have been frigid after the first couple of songs. How did your left hand feel?
I used these gloves, I don’t know how cold the fretboard was ... the are not leather, they are plastic (made for paining,...) and that felt perfect on the fretboard. Not sticky but not too fast either.

Attachments

• F75A15E2-6130-4396-9791-9983F1DF7847.jpeg
    F75A15E2-6130-4396-9791-9983F1DF7847.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
Just did an outdoor "Oyster Roast" a few weeks ago where the temp at night dropped rapidly. At starting time the temp was 30F (~ -1C) and dropped to about 25F (~ -4C). We had a propane heater and a kerosene heater on stage. The fretboard seemed to be in a tropic and arctic climate zone at the same time. I wore polartec long johns, an army surplus skull cap, foot heating pads and gave everyone hand warmers. We played three hours. Never had one issue with the AxeIII or any of the other equipment. For sure though, the brain moves much quicker than the fingers. :eek:
Did you used a FC board? Any troubles with the Tuner Display?!?

I’m glad you got through. I’m not sure the temps, but we’ve done a few of those outdoor winter gigs, although in Texas it probably wasn’t worse than the 30s and that was bad enough. Glad I wasn’t playing bass was all I kept thinking.

Hey, it's a cool experience! (And probably not one you'd want to do again...)

Interesting about the FC being slow. I'm assuming the switching was not affected, but I suppose that liquid display struggled.

I hear that. Just came back from a holiday visit to Portland that reminded me why I moved to Hawaii.

I usually leave all my AXE units on all day @ the venue and will power cycle approx 45 mins before show for soundcheck.

Reminds of practicing in storage sheds, garages, and a former chicken coup in Colorado winters years ago... we had various heaters but they really didn't do much... We would play a song, maybe two, then go to the heaters to warm our hands up... "Suffering for your art" for sure. I can't imagine playing a full gig in those kind of temps...

Hey, it's a cool experience! (And probably not one you'd want to do again...)

Interesting about the FC being slow. I'm assuming the switching was not affected, but I suppose that liquid display struggled.
Switching was fast, just the display struggled ;-)

Back
Top Bottom