Axe-Fx III USB I/O seems to disable Core Audio (Mac - more below)

Before you turn on the axe, where does (working) audio come from, internal speakers, or another interface ?
Have your tried changing usb ports/cables?
Yes - the audio comes thorough one of my RME Fireface 800's. All good until Axe III boots up.

Are all 3 devices receiving clock from the external master clock? What’s the bit/sample rate?
Axe III can't receive a word clock signal, unless it get's synced via the SPDIF port. When using all 3, I typically use the Axe III as the clock master.

Op is correct. This has been the case on the Mac for some time when using usb. I have the same behavior on multiple macs, OS X versions, and axe iiis with multiple firmware versions, a variety of usb hubs (happens direct to the Mac with a single axefx as well), and a variety of aggregate audio devices. I primarily have this issue when upgrading the firmware of the axefxs bc of the reboot.

It is not a word clock issue because you can’t simply change the word clock source to something else and back to fix it like you normally could with typical word clock issues.

Like the op said, core audio stops working. As I’ve said before, while this could be Apple’s responsibility, it is quite repeatable with the Axefx so Fractal stands a chance in helping diagnose the issue to help fix it. I haven’t experienced this with other gear but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

With the frequency of fw updates, it would be nice to finally figure this out. I have my startup sequence timed so that it doesn’t occur unless I restart an axe after the fw update.
Hear, hear! I would love Fractal to look into this to see what's going on...

Regarding how the system is configured, the external audio I/O is handled by two RME Fireface 800s and the AXE-FX III in an aggregate device.

I have been running the system like this for years, even with my prior Axe-FX II in this configuration with great success. I know some folks don't trust aggregate devices, but mine have been rock solid thus far.
Is the aggregate device set as the system audio device while you’re powering on the Axe FX? That could cause issues. I’ve had issues with aggregate devices in Mac OS when one or more of the devices weren't powered on or connected.
I do use an external clock unit, and I check in the Midi/Audio preferences to make sure who is the master clock.
Axe III can't receive a word clock signal, unless it get's synced via the SPDIF port. When using all 3, I typically use the Axe III as the clock master.
I don’t think I’m getting be full picture from piecing together what you’ve said. How is your external clock connected if you’re setting the Axe as the master?

I think that there is a little bug in usb firmware because the behavior is very strange. Anyway reboot of Mac with axe turned on resolve the issue

Unplug the USB for 2 seconds, plug back in fixed!

If you power on the axe, before waking your Mac, you won't even have the issue.

Given that many of us appear to be affected by this problem, I wonder if we could talk Fractal into using some of their troubleshooting skills to determine the problem? If it turns out to be Apple's issue, this would at least give us some ammunition to carry to them.

Unplug the USB for 2 seconds, plug back in fixed!

If you power on the axe, before waking your Mac, you won't even have the issue.

No, this does not fix it for me. Even if it did, that’s a workaround, not a solution. The only thing that works is to restart the Mac. Ps this really seems like a core audio issue because when it happens, ANY interface connected does not work (even thunderbolt devices not even usb). The trigger seems to be the axefx.

I’d have to check my previous posts but I think there was a brief time (a few firmware versions) when this appeared to be fixed but that was awhile ago.

For those having this CoreAudio issue on the Mac rather than reboot use the Terminal to restart CoreAudio. The command is as follows.

sudo killall coreaudiod

It only takes a second or two to restart.

That is a very nice tip :)
I have been rebooting many many times because of this. Hope it works here.

Seems like a common factor is a DAW running on the mac before the AFX is turned on? And another is audio interfaces whether it be Firewire Thunderbolt or USB. AFX will take over output of the mac on boot but I don't know if that is by design in Apples software or not. I seldom have a DAW open or audio playing when I turn on the AFX so I haven't seen this issue. I regularly wake my 2012 MacBook Pro from sleep with AxeEdit running and iTune open without issue however I run both into a mixer I monitor from and AFX will take over the audio output of the mac every time, I have to switch it back to internal speakers every single time.

Seems like a common factor is a DAW running on the mac before the AFX is turned on? And another is audio interfaces whether it be Firewire Thunderbolt or USB. AFX will take over output of the mac on boot but I don't know if that is by design in Apples software or not. I seldom have a DAW open or audio playing when I turn on the AFX so I haven't seen this issue. I regularly wake my 2012 MacBook Pro from sleep with AxeEdit running and iTune open without issue however I run both into a mixer I monitor from and AFX will take over the audio output of the mac every time, I have to switch it back to internal speakers every single time.
I normaly start my DAW (Cubase) after the axe as I use it as my audio interface and I get the problem anyway.
I noticed that the error often shows when I add a vst instrument, most often Superior Drummer 3 trigger the problem.
This never happens if the axe is shut down.
Had the same issues with my axe-fx ii using a UR824 as main audio interface.
I guess it's an apple problem, starting around the Sierra release. I'm running high sierra on my imac and mojave on my laptop.

Again - it may be an Apple issue, BUT since many of us are locked into that world, we really need the help of Fractal to help us analyze the issue. We need to be able to use our Fractal gear in a relatively seamless manner.

Back
Top Bottom