3D Printed External FC Switch Box / Expression Box

Thanks again for posting these files!
Was there some sort of shrink factor added for your machine or material? The printed part looks a little big front to back?

Last edited:
Nice! What printer model did you use?

As mentioned in some earlier posts, I didn't take measurements down to the millimeter... Also, as you mention, different materials do have different shrinkage. ABS shinks about 8%, while PLA is closer to 3%... and certain brands/qualities of filament may have slight differences. So final sizing results will vary a bit.

After printing, I did a few rounds of sanding it down to a final 300 grit pass to work out some of the imperfections from print layers.

Lemme know if you have any other questions about finishing or electrical wiring... and post some pics when you get it done!

View attachment 58071I mentioned this idea in another thread... was inspired by @lqdsnddist build of an external switch box. I modeled a 3D switch box in Tinkercad, to match the profile and switch spacing of the FC-12. Designed it to accommodate four momentary foot switches and two expression potentiometers, to max out the ext switch/pedal usage for my FC (I have two expression pedals)

I had three failed prints before finally getting a successful print the fourth time around, using black PLA. The final print took ~40hours. It turned out really solid / strong with the internal supports. I tried a few drop tests, standing on it, and stomping on it. Just drilled out holes for switches and pots, wired it / soldered it up.

Seems like its gonna work great! I'm gonna do a bit more finishing work - sanding / smoothing - and will come up with some way to add some kick tags. Probably will use the foot switches for Volume +, Volume -, and either some patch navigation, reveal, or layout switching. And the two "expression potentiometers" will be mostly assigned to delay time / feedback, or maybe some other effects or levels on certain patches.

If anyone wants to try and print one out, attached is the 3D model... there was definitely a bit of a learning process in getting everything set in 3d print settings, and it required some minor adjustments during the print... but if you have patience and a 3D printer, give it a go.

Below is a photo montage documenting the progress so far.

View attachment 57704

Gotta get some better potentiometer knobs and figure out the kick tags.
Looks awesome brother!!! Thanks so much for sharing all the info and files. That's what I love about the Fractal forum, brothers sharing and helping one another. Ain't no other forum like it

Rich

Looks great, @chumbucket. Stay tuned...I'll be posting pics of my single-wide extension soon. I got it drilled last night. Hopefully tonight I'll have time to install the switches and jack and get it mounted on the pedalboard.

did you do 2 or 3 switches on the single row ?

For now, I've just got 2 switches. I'll use it this way for a while and then decide if I want to add a third switch, or perhaps an expression knob. (With three expression pedals, I'm not sure how much I'd use an expression knob.)

I ended up using double-sided foam tape to attach the extension box to the FC-6, and moved the end cap to the exposed edge of the new box (also attached with double-sided foam tape). The whole assembly is attached to a piece of 3/8" thick wood with industrial strength Velcro (to lift it off the end caps), and I'm using Velcro to attach the wood to the carpeted pedal board (which is the base of a road case). I've got the Mission pedals attached in similar manner. I can turn the whole thing upside down and everything stays put. I still want to make up 4 custom-length TRS cables to neaten things up a bit, but at this point, everything is functional. I also plan to add printed labels to the two new switches. I'll either just use my label maker or have the friend who printed up the box make me some fake LED rings with his vinyl printer/cutter rig.

Thanks again to @lqdsnddist for planting the seed and @creativespiral for sharing the print file. Now I'm the only kid on my block with an FC-8. :)

FC-8 3 1024.jpg

FC-8 4 1024.jpg

1a. Tap: TUNER toggle
1b. Hold: UTILITY > Amp Levels -2db and Save

2a. Tap: LAYOUT MASTER MENU (Easy access to all layouts)
2b. Hold: UTILITY > Amp Levels +2db and Save

I’m very curious about use of these functions in a live setting. I understand the need for a +/- 2db boost on the fly, but why (and more importantly, how) did you include the “save” function when holding down this switch.

@2112 @creativespiral I know that video! Since I’m not electronically inclined or equipped I had the guys at Analog Endeavors build me a 3-knob expression wheel box that I have mounted to the top of my FC-12 for control of 3 effect parameters.

One parameter is almost always effecting master volume in case I need make a sound man stroke out by cranking up the volume in a live setting. 😂

I’m very curious about use of these functions in a live setting. I understand the need for a +/- 2db boost on the fly, but why (and more importantly, how) did you include the “save” function when holding down this switch.

I have a separate, dedicated switch on the FC-12 itself for "Live Boost / Solo Boost" (mapped to a Control Switch > Amp Input Boost Circuit)... I like to keep the visual [on|off] feedback for solo boost, and have found that routing to be perfect - I apply that to all my finished presets.

The +2/-2 db and save functions are not used much in a "live setting"... I use those when I'm just messing around and auditioning through different presets... if I find one that is too quiet or too loud, I'll use those external hold functions to balance the levels with my other presets.... it just saves the process of stopping playing, going to Axe-Edit (or AX3 panel), and adjusting levels and saving. So, yeah, those ones are really just for occasional use for level matching. This functionality is under the "Utility" options for FC switches.

Between all the options with tap/hold, reveal switching, layout switching, and control switch routing, I've got everything a foot tap or two away. The flexibility of the FC is truly amazing! The only thing I wish for is maybe a few more CS control switch routing slots.

Last edited:
Hmm... maybe some ad blocker in your browser or something? They show up as shopping links with product images and prices for me.

These are the names of them if you just want to search for them:

GLS Audio 1/4" Jacks Female TRS Stereo Panel Mount Jack - 20 PACK

Etopars Electric Guitar Effects Pedal Box Momentary SPST Button Stomp Foot Switch

2pcs RV24YN20S B103 10K ohm Carbon Film Potentiometer + 2pcs A03 knob

Safe Way Tracktion 2" x 12' Foot Roll of Black Resilient Rubberized Anti Slip Non Skid Safety Tape 3510-2-12

I'm bumming. I bought 10 of these switches but didn't see the other post that they had smaller buttons than the FC do. They are about 8.75mm versus 10mm on the FC and it's very noticeable. Anybody got a link to the right ones?

Last edited:
Ok, so my buddy's printer won't print that big. How much to print/ship one of the doubles?

It seems like a size limitation to print this for a lot of printers. A buddy with access to Stratasys uPrint SE has a max dimension of 8 inches.

How ya'll printing so big?

It seems like a size limitation to print this for a lot of printers. A buddy with access to Stratasys uPrint SE has a max dimension of 8 inches.

How ya'll printing so big?

Bigger printers. :grin:
Stand it on end or rotate it to fit. It'll take longer to build though.

I ordered those same switches. I picked them by the shape of the button, squared edge vs beveled. How does it feel on push? Same as FC's or harder?

Back
Top Bottom