Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.01

Yeah, I mean I don’t intend to have a match 1 to 1, but for example would be great to know if some curve relates more to a V30, Greenback, t75 or whatever, it is just about having a simple translation table so we can know what is meant to be the “normal cab”. For me with a JCM800 that is a 4x12 with the 75 speakers, but don’t know if it what was implemented.
Not a criticism to what we have, which is amazing per se.

Yeah, I mean I don’t intend to have a match 1 to 1, but for example would be great to know if some curve relates more to a V30, Greenback, t75 or whatever, it is just about having a simple translation table so we can know what is meant to be the “normal cab”. For me with a JCM800 that is a 4x12 with the 75 speakers, but don’t know if it what was implemented.
Not a criticism to what we have, which is amazing per se.
Criticism was not my intent. Just trying to frame the curve list in the scheme of its progression. It's going to keep improving as more curves are added.

Cliff mentioned he was putting together a special cable that would make measuring speaker impedance curves possible. Possibly, if we are lucky, the ability to add other curves will come along, to help with the 3rd party cabs, and for there to be a way to utilize that special cable....

In real life, is the impedence of a speaker affected by the cab it's in? My guess is no, or if so not significantly, just wondering.

In real life, is the impedence of a speaker affected by the cab it's in? My guess is no, or if so not significantly, just wondering.
Yes. Internal reflections and, in the case of closed back cabs, volume of the cab itself, can affect the load seen by the amplifier. The Rumble and Hipower cabs get that extra low resonance peak from a slot port, apparently.

Yes. Internal reflections and, in the case of closed back cabs, volume of the cab itself, can affect the load seen by the amplifier. The Rumble and Hipower cabs get that extra low resonance peak from a slot port, apparently.
Interesting. So the idea of somehow attaching a preferred impedence curve to each IR really doesn't cut it.

There really are an insane number of combinations of amp, speaker, cab, and impedence curve, more than anyone could realistically evaluate or keep track of.

Interesting. So the idea of somehow attaching a preferred impedence curve to each IR really doesn't cut it.

There really are an insane number of combinations of amp, speaker, cab, and impedence curve, more than anyone could realistically evaluate or keep track of.
There should be a curve per cab/speaker combo that would cover all the mic variations for that cab/speaker. For example, G12M25 loaded Marshall slant/A cabs should all work with the same curve, regardless of the mic used. I seriouly doubt the reflections off the mic would measurably affect speaker impedance in a significant way, because microphones are relatively small....

I guess at least it would be desirable to have an idea of what speaker corresponds to the curve, like not to mix in the first place a V30 loaded Cab with a Greenback curve. Then yeah, it can be nice to experiment with different curves and combinations.

My only point was about having a bit more info on the source cab specs for each curve, at high level, just to have good starting, reference points when trying to replicate a hardware setup.

Most curves actually can be easily matched based on the names, others don't.

I guess at least it would be desirable to have an idea of what speaker corresponds to the curve, like not to mix in the first place a V30 loaded Cab with a Greenback curve. Then yeah, it can be nice to experiment with different curves and combinations.

My only point was about having a bit more info on the source cab specs for each curve, at high level, just to have good starting, reference points when trying to replicate a hardware setup.

Yes, a little more info would help. I ended up just going through the curves that matched the general type of cab (i.e., 1x10, 1x12, 4x10, 4x12,etc.) I was using until my ears were happy. I found a few curves that worked well with my fave cabs, and it ended up that I lost much more time playing through it and losing track of time than I initially invested in trying the handful of different curves.... :)

+1 for this, I had just asked for something similar. I'm sure it'll come at some point though...

+1 for this, I had just asked for something similar. I'm sure it'll come at some point though...
They are just at the beginning of the rollout. Doubtless more curves and more info will come with the passage of time.... :)

In the mean time, I plan to enjoy the progression of this rather game-changing new dimension of the modeling process. It keeps getting better, no matter how many times I think it's as good as it can be....

I almost wish the value was hidden and just changed to the designers setting with no alternatives. It’s such a subtle thing. I think the intent was to just make things better than what it was before, not necessarily to have it match every IR possible exactly. It makes sense to have a “most likely” matching impedance curve from the amp side due to the millions of IRs available. IMO, it’s just become another “if the drive is at 3.45 it doesn’t sound as good as 3.46” thing or “output knob at 48% sounds very different than at 49%.”

Last edited:
I partially disagree: I do think there is a subtle difference between a 4x12 AX and a 4x12 Basketweave but there is a much noticeable one to my ears between the first and the Citrus for example. Let alone between any of these and the old default.

I partially disagree: I do think there is a subtle difference between a 4x12 AX and a 4x12 Basketweave but there is a much noticeable one to my ears between the first and the Citrus for example. Let alone between any of these and the old default.
Yes, the Citrus definitely has a different sound, as does the TV 4x12 compared to some of the others. The Hipower and Rumble are different yet again, with their dual LF resonances. Lots of difference in the couple of 1x10 Prince Tone curves, too. The SF one has a noticeable amount more lows, but not at a low frequency, more covering the fundamentals up to about Ab or so.

The new DC-30 model may have dethroned the mighty AC-20 as my favorite "Class A" model.
[/QUOTE]
TY for this. But I have a Noob question: I've downloaded the link thru Fractal-Bot, I can't locate the amp in the Presets. What am i missing?

The new DC-30 model may have dethroned the mighty AC-20 as my favorite "Class A" model.
TY for this. But I have a Noob question: I've downloaded the link thru Fractal-Bot, I can't locate the amp in the Presets. What am i missing?
I'm not sure what you are doing, but all of your replies are breaking the forum quoting... Try to to edit the part that gets automatically added to your reply.

[/QUOTE]
Check the amp block. There is a difference between presets and specific amps in the amp block.

Back
Top Bottom