Wish Wish List: New Amps

Haven't seen this one wished for yet:
Gibson GA40 Les Paul LP script logo grille 1953/4.

nierkwzin0aud1c7j36e.jpg

Great sounding amp. A friend down in Tucson has one. Pentode preamp tubes - 6SJ7, IIRC....

Haven't seen this one wished for yet:
Gibson GA40 Les Paul LP script logo grille 1953/4.

nierkwzin0aud1c7j36e.jpg

Great sounding amp. A friend down in Tucson has one. Pentode preamp tubes - 6SJ7, IIRC....

The problem with any of these amps is you need a schematic
Example FAS has an Archon but no one has a schematic
If there was it would likely have been added a year ago but as Cliff says its a pain to trace a circuit and takes a while

Gibson%20GA-40%20(1954).jpg

Not the cleanest copy, but it is just readable.

It's an interesting circuit. 6SJ7 octal pentodes in the preamp, 6SN7 cathodyne phase inverter, 6V6 outputs, and a tremolo circuit that uses the other half of that 6SN7 along with a 6V6 to wobble the output 6V6es' screen supply. The cab has a great-sounding speaker in it, too. There's one up on Reverb right now for $1750 in Brooklyn, NY that looks to have an original speaker and claims to have been looked over and serviced by someone there.

Article with YT videos of PRS --> GA40 (1954)
The videos do a fair job of illustrating the amp's vibe, as filtered through what appears to be a 57 (though I have no doubt @2112 would have captured it more realistically). The magic is in the way it transitions to dirty, and how you can still hear pretty clear and clean string presence even when it's starting to distort a little. Turn it up more, and you get a rather nice and tweedy raunch due to the cathode-biased 6V6es and its relatively small amount of negative feedback.

Last edited:
Hi,
It would be great to have these amps in Axe Fx III:

Bogner Helios Eclipse
Landry LS100G3
Mezzabarba Trinity
Reeves Super 78
Friedman Steve Stevens

I just started a thread asking for some help trying to coax some particular low to mid gain tones out of the Mesa models in the Axe (e.g. pushed clean, edge of breakup, crunchy, slightly dirty, and overdriven territory). It would be a whole lot easier if some of the following voicings from Mesa that are specifically geared towards this territory were available (ordered by preference).

• ‘Blues’ from the Tremoverb.
  • ‘Crunch’ and 'Tweed' from the Mark V. I saw in the wikki that Cliff owns a Mark V, so this might not be that much of a stretch.
  • ‘Pushed Clean’ and ‘Raw’ from the 3 channel Rectifier. Don’t know why these were left out when this amp was originally modeled, but if it is still around, how about finishing this one off?
  • Really a model of every channel and voicing in the Tremoverb would be clutch. The Tremoverb is regarded by many as the best sounding Rectifier version Mesa has ever made, so yeah here’s a request for a third recto model (or a fourth if you count the Thordendal model)!
  • ‘Brit’ and ‘Tweed’ from the Roadster/Road King. Bottom of the list, but worthy options if none of the above ever some to fruition.

If anyone has ideas on existing models in the Axe that come close to coaxing similar tones as these voicings, we can carry the discussion on over on this thread (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...d-clean-slightly-dirty-and-overdriven.156547/).

I'm really struggling to get a good tone match for my Mesa TC100 (Triple Crown). I'll keep plugging away but this would be so much easier if the TC100 was in the Axe FX III. Just saying.... :yum:

I'll add another one:
Bad Cat Hot Cat clean channel
Currently we only have the distorted channel modeled (hot kitty)

1. Sunn Model T (Original and Reissue)
2. Ampeg V4
3. Bogner Helios Eclipse

And a bunch of weird/odd vintage amps would be cool too!

Seymour Duncan 100 watt Convertible 1x12, with interchangeable preamps.

It was very undependable, but definately had a unique sound. I bought one for the ability to try different preamp tube configurations. Believe the year was 84’ or 85’

EVH EL34 50Watt (can get close with changing the pre-amp and power amp tubes in the 5153 50W Blue but I'm betting the voicing may be different)
Alex Skolnick Signature AS Preceptor
Mark Tremonti PRS MT15 (played through one once ... Killer)
Fortin
And the multiple aforementioned ADA MP1

Back
Top Bottom