Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
i haven't read the whole thread, so i apologise if someone has mentioned this before, but i think there should be another menu option (or one that replaces "null") and that should be called "v10". this will being up the old default impedance curve. this will allow users to keep their old presets unchanged if they want and also allow them to have a look at what the old curve was and pick a new curve that's closest. like some of the old features we had access to previously with the II, this option could be removed in a later firmware if the consensus is that it could go.
i think the new firmware should choose a new default, as cliff suggested, but if you don't want to change, then you could simply to a batch update with fractool to set all the presets to "v10"

THIS

There were some who liked their old presets better, which were changed by the new firmware. So after much controversy Cliff made the older versions available. However, very shortly after, no one was using the old because the improvements weren't going to stop. This will result the same. it's just a different place in the firmware. Speaker/ power amp reaction instead of amp modelling. The time spent to hold on to the old will soon be flushed down the drain.

The difference is, keeping a repository of previous firmware versions on the unit was chewing up memory. That's why it was nixed. Different situation. The previous impedance curve values are stored in the preset itself, so there's nothing to maintain. Anyway, Cliff's solution works for me.

The difference is, keeping a repository of previous firmware versions on the unit was chewing up memory. That's why it was nixed. Different situation. The previous impedance curve values are stored in the preset itself, so there's nothing to maintain. Anyway, Cliff's solution works for me.
Ahh I see, I thought the presets have to get their data from the stored data in the firmware memory.

Maybe someone who is adamant about keeping the old impedance curves around would be kind enough to create a list or file or spreadsheet of all of the Amps and their old original impedance curves for future reference, put it in the Wiki, and any time anyone wants to load up those old settings it’s as easy as looking it up. Selecting Null, and punching in the numbers. Why keep the old bloat around if we know it’s inferior and not real world to begin with? Makes no sense to have all sorts of extra data loaded into the FW.

The previous impedance curve values are no longer stored on the unit. They're currently stored in presets created with firmware 10 and under. On that note, I attached a zip file with Amp block presets for almost every amp model from v10 at their default settings in post #473, so anyone using the latest firmware that wants access to the previous impedance curve values can find them there.

Ahh I see, I thought the presets have to get their data from the stored data in the firmware memory.
Well, I think this is somewhat true. The default curve for each amp has to reside somewhere in the firmware before the preset is created. Once the curve is loaded in the amp block you can modify it and that is stored with the preset.

Reactions: RDH
Should be defaulted to no, otherwise on first boot after the firmware flash at least one preset would be lost

The dilemma is that many users will not read this forum and will probably not read the release notes. Thus, they will only benefit from the update when creating patches from scratch. Those reading this thread will probably be fine regardless.

The default curve for each amp has to reside somewhere in the firmware before the preset is created.

No one suggested that the current default impedance curves aren't stored in the firmware. My understanding is that the previous default curves have been replaced (and no longer reside) in the current firmware.

Most of members of this thread have purchased third party presets in many cases because they were not satisfied with the included presets. This update is a major improvement in the sound in my opinion and I will bet the vast majority of the presets will benefit from this change. Every software update has impacted the presets in some way, maybe not as dramatically, but if you wanted exactly what you had before you would have had to make some adjustments.

I don't want to have to go thru all of them to implement the update and a new purchaser would prefer to have the improved presets as default.

I haven't seen a post where anyone is saying this update made their preset sound bad but I am sure there will be a few.

I am all for going ahead with a full update including all presets !

The dilemma is that many users will not read this forum and will probably not read the release notes. Thus, they will only benefit from the update when creating patches from scratch. Those reading this thread will probably be fine regardless.
People who neglect their duty of RTFRN before installing firmware likely also neglect their duty to do a backup before firmware updates, too.

They kinda deserve surprises, don't they? ;)

No one suggested that the current default impedance curves aren't stored in the firmware. My understanding is that the previous default curves have been replaced (and no longer reside) in the current firmware.
I was just replying to another user who seemed to have gotten that impression from somewhere. I think it would be great if the current defaults were rolled into the list of new curves being added in 11 instead of losing them completely, unless there's some reason that wouldn't be feasible.

Reactions: RDH
I think it’s well and good to have options, but, I also think it’s rather inevitable such features will become obsolete.

I mean, when we are on FW20 or something, are we still going to have an option for FW10 curves ? By that point is anyone still going to be using aspects of old modeling ? Much less, will new firmware and modeling make the older options incompatible ? To which there won’t even be the option to have an option.....

it’s like if you wanted certain aspects of G2 modeling still.... simply can’t have that with Ares, much less even Qauntum, so it became an issue of either update or stay with whatever you had, can’t have both.

so as a stop gap measure, why not, but are we still going to see this option when it’s 2021 and we are using who knows what modeling version and people go “what is this v10 curve option” and we have to say “well, back in late 2019 we had a few people who didn’t want their presets to automatically sound better, so we added this option, and even though no one has used it in 2 years, we keep it there just in case....”

I think it’s well and good to have options, but, I also think it’s rather inevitable such features will become obsolete.

I mean, when we are on FW20 or something, are we still going to have an option for FW10 curves ? By that point is anyone still going to be using aspects of old modeling ? Much less, will new firmware and modeling make the older options incompatible ? To which there won’t even be the option to have an option.....

it’s like if you wanted certain aspects of G2 modeling still.... simply can’t have that with Ares, much less even Qauntum, so it became an issue of either update or stay with whatever you had, can’t have both.

so as a stop gap measure, why not, but are we still going to see this option when it’s 2021 and we are using who knows what modeling version and people go “what is this v10 curve option” and we have to say “well, back in late 2019 we had a few people who didn’t want their presets to automatically sound better, so we added this option, and even though no one has used it in 2 years, we keep it there just in case....”
If it was a lot of extra baggage data in the firmware, that's one thing, and generally I would agree, but the data is in the preset, and is a handful of parameters for one part of a block. Cliff has suggested a solution that works:
I've got a solution:
Global Parameter:
"Update Speaker Impedance on Pre-11.0 Presets Upon Load" Yes | No

If only AE had an option to copy and paste separate pages of the amp block, that would fix all problems.You could simply paste your favorite settings everywhere then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom