Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 50+ presets are amazing and I unfortunately had to go through and change most of them.

That's fine, but not everyone thinks all of their presets sound better using the new impedance curves. To my ears, some sound excellent, others not so much. I've updated some of my presets with the new curve(s), but there are some presets that sound better to my ears using the old ones.

Last edited:
Ask yourself, what is a preset and why do people use them? A preset is a configuration of settings that are saved in order to allow one to recall a specific sound. Telling people they should just accept having their presets being updated unnecessarily and without any choice in the matter is counter to the very nature of why people use them in the first place.
Well, maybe. It depends on your use-case. For me I always want to play around with whatever has changed. A preset to me is a pretty vaguely defined thing - an amp with a cab combo that sounded a particular way and I enjoyed it at that point in time. I'm always keen to try a newer more detailed version of the same thing. And happy to go back to the drawing board if something changes in an obviously negative way.

But I think that's academic. I agree it would be best if there was an opportunity for existing presets to stay exactly the same as they were, as long as there's a trivial way to update to the newest algorithms/data. Again though this is probably specific to my kind of use-case.

Why would you not want to give users the option of maintaining the sound of their old presets while also allowing access to the new impedance curves? If you want to update your presets, go for it, but why force someone to update who may not necessarily want to? Seriously.
Looks like you can have the best of both worlds:
Will a null setting and setting the low and high res back to what they were get you back to the old curve if you want?

My only fear is that my Austin Buddy presets will get changed.

I played a lot of ABs presets today - typically the Fenders with a Strat. And after changing the impedance to some of the new choices I assure you they sound better,

Firmware updates are changes. If you don’t want a change, then you have your best FW on the unit already.

I know pros still on like 5.x or whatever because it’s their current sound. Need a feature from later FW? Well gotta bite the bullet and adjust tones. It’s like buying a new different amp - gotta readjust.

Ask yourself, what is a preset and why do people use them? A preset is a configuration of settings that are saved in order to allow one to recall a specific sound. Telling people they should just accept having their presets being updated unnecessarily and without any choice in the matter is counter to the very nature of why people use them in the first place.
I see your point. But Cliff needs to weigh in and factor the overall operation of the product (AxeFx) and use.

In past firmwares ...FAS notes major changes and improvements may alter sounds.

Most of us backed up our system and upgraded to check out the improvements and just rolled back to to the previous firmware.

FAS May allow the option for now...but sooner or later would be best overall to have it automatic.

Anyone who wants the old firmware can install it. There are valid reasons why someone would want the option of maintaining the sonic continuity of their presets.
Even if speaker impedance model is updated by default, you still have the option of maintaining the sonic continuity of your preset. You yourself gave instructions on how in post #473.

The more I think about this the more I think existing presets should get automatically updated to use an appropriate impedance model. Yes, existing presets will change but probably for the better.

Anyone disagree?
I agree, it's too much of an improvement not to update existing presets.

The more I think about this the more I think existing presets should get automatically updated to use an appropriate impedance model. Yes, existing presets will change but probably for the better.

Anyone disagree?
I'm in! Heck of a lot easier than having to manually update them all.

Firmware updates are changes. If you don’t want a change, then you have your best FW on the unit already.

I know pros still on like 5.x or whatever because it’s their current sound. Need a feature from later FW? Well gotta bite the bullet and adjust tones. It’s like buying a new different amp - gotta readjust.
'Opt-in' is always friendlier than 'brace yerself, I'm going in dry'. To add a slot that would keep the original curve in each preset would solve the ruffled feathers issue. Add a 'convert all' button for those that want to plunge in, and Bob's your uncle....

If it’s important to you to (A) update to the newer firmware and (B) maintain sonic continuity, then write down the values or record them in a spreadsheet.

It can be far more tedious to write down and enter values to maintain continuity than it is to update presets.

Look at them and write down the settings or do a screen shot

If presets are updated in the next firmware automatically, you'd have to transcribe them before updating, which is a sh%t ton of work. On top of that, there'd be no easy or convenient way to compare old and new curves side by side like there is now.

It can be far more tedious to write down and enter values to maintain continuity than it is to update presets.
....especially when it's a change that is not necessary to the upgrade process, per Cliff's own words up thread. He mentioned that he could leave a spot for the original curve, but is considering 'going in dry', in a manner of speaking.

Look at them and write down the settings or do a screen shot
Multiply that by a dozen or a hundred presets, and do you see the problem, especially when a little extra storage of settings would be trivial and make it an opt-in event instead of something less friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom