Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I previously interpreted these posts to mean that the Null curve was an absence of captured data, and that the old curves were no longer accessible once you changed the value.

I apologize, but I'm hopelessly confused now.
If you write down the speaker res settings in your v10 preset, then add them to the null selection(which is a flat line) in v 11 you will have the old impedence curve.

This is a really great update!

Here's what could be the icing on this cake:
1) An option to automatically load the correct Impulse curve for the amp when an IR is selected. So, basically, each IR would also have the authentic impulse curve associated with it, which takes effect automatically within the amp block.
2) A solution so that customers and IR cab-pack makers could precisely and easily measure these Impulse curves of their own cabs while capturing IRs, and save them with the IR's they capture. Or at least save them in some way that the Axe FX can read/load.
A tiny new fractal measuring device people could buy, I assume?

How would the correct curve be known from an existing IR though ? Seems like any existing IR’s wouldn’t have the needed information associated with it for this to be accomplished.

How would the correct curve be known from an existing IR though ? Seems like any existing IR’s wouldn’t have the needed information associated with it for this to be accomplished.
Correct, every existing Ir would have to be revisited. Any volunteers? Well not every Ir, but every different cab more than likely. Imagine the time it would take!

Correct, every existing Ir would have to be revisited. Any volunteers? Well not every Ir, but every different cab more than likely. Imagine the time it would take!
The curves have nothing to do with the the ir though. The pre v11 curves were defauted by amp. You could change the ir to whatever you wanted and the default curve didn't change.

The solution is, before you make any changes to your existing preset just copy the amp channel to another channel, then change it on one channel and compare the two channels to see the difference.

If you write down the speaker res settings in your v10 preset, then add them to the null selection(which is a flat line) in v 11 you will have the old impedence curve.

Thanks, that helped a lot. My OCD is happy to learn that the previous method is still available....even if the new method is so superior that nobody will want to use it. :D

Reactions: RDH
When you were choising an amp type before a curve got set up for a typical cab for such an amp. That basic idea didn't change. These curves got names now and some resonance spikes got added.

Loving these updates.

I was wondering what the status was on having a single firmware for all devices? I remember Cliff mentioning it a while ago and there's (understandably) been several fw updates for the III since that announcement. Just simply curious on the progress on that. And if I don't get an answer, I'm still 110% satisfied with my II that I'm still discovering new things on (monthly).

Thanks FAS.

The II is no longer made, so will probably only have bug fix updates (if any) from now on. Common firmware platform concept would be for AxeFX III and FM3.

AX8 and FX8 haven’t received updates for over a year, even when they were still being sold.

I don't expect all factory IR's to all instantly have the curve info, and especially not third party IR packs. We've been using approximations before this update, and approximations will do as a start...
For factory cabs, the authentic curves could just be updated part by part with future firmware updates. Aren't most of factory cab IRs made from cabs fractal has access to? Or they could just contact those who own those specific cabs (if they still have them) and ask them to do the measurement. I get that it's a drag, but it would be really cool.

Someone responded to the video saying I shouldn't have compared the difference between the "null" value and a selected speaker. I stand corrected and may have misrepresented the drastic change, although there is a difference still IMO. In order to see a change to fairly compare firmware 10 to 11 would be to adjust the speaker resonance from 100% to 0%. This would be better to see the difference in the old and new curves. Still, I like what they are doing and think it make a difference for sure.
To show the change from 10 to 11, copy an untouched 10 preset and alter the copy with the new impedance curve. That way you know what is in the original, as it has nit been edited....

I previously interpreted these posts to mean that the Null curve was an absence of captured data, and that the old curves were no longer accessible once you changed the value.

After changing the setting, the original (much less accurate) curve is replaced by a flat line - essentially, the 'curve' a pure resistor would have, so you can't go back to the old curve unless you saved an untouched copy of the preset.

I apologize, but I'm hopelessly confused now.
It is a little confusing for non-programmer types, so don't feel bad about yourself.

I doubt it was because of the impedance. The impedance curve will be pretty much the same whether wired for 16 or 4 ohms. The difference was likely due to the fact that many of those old Plexis took the feedback off the speaker jack rather than off a transformer tap. Using a 4-ohm cab lowers the amount of negative feedback.
So I could achieve this by lowering the mount of negative feedback in the amp block then , Right?

So, no, they were weren't all the same or no, you don't plan to allow selecting the old default? I guess we could write the old values on a sticky note if the latter. Note that I haven't loaded this so I am not sure how it works but was assuming the null cab zeros the resonances, etc. FWIW it sounds like a number of users are confused, here.

So I could achieve this by lowering the mount of negative feedback in the amp block then , Right?
Correct. Since impedance ratio is the square of the turns ratio the change in feedback going from a 16-ohm speaker to a 4-ohm speaker would be the square root of 4/16 = 1/2. So if the negative feedback is 0.6 set it to 0.3.

So, no, they were weren't all the same or no, you don't plan to allow selecting the old default? I guess we could write the old values on a sticky note if the latter. Note that I haven't loaded this so I am not sure how it works but was assuming the null cab zeros the resonances, etc.
They weren't all the same. Every amp was different.

Is the impedance curve basically just another ir/eq in the signal chain or does it interact with the amp controls? In other words if you had a tone match of the impedance curve loaded in an ir player, and null selected in the amp block, would this be the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom