Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Cliff:

If you have an existing preset, and don't remove and replace the amp block or touch the setting for the curve, it doesn't change it.

New presets or amp blocks have the new curves.

Is it correct to say if you change an old preset to a new one using the new curves you can't revert it back unless you previously saved the original preset? Wanted to be clear on this as I plan to back up my current presets and then try the curves. If for some reason I do like the curves (unlikley) I want to have my original preset. Seems as though once you change them you can't revert back.

Thanks,

Roger

Is it correct to say if you change an old preset to a new one using the new curves you can't revert it back unless you previously saved the original preset? Wanted to be clear on this as I plan to back up my current presets and then try the curves. If for some reason I do like the curves (unlikley) I want to have my original preset. Seems as though once you change them you can't revert back.

Thanks,

Roger
Yes

Thanks,

Roger
Can’t you just simply choose the IR you want? Can’t understand all the brain damage. If you change something and don’t like it, just change it back to the IR you used before. Am I missing something? This is all great but Seems to be a lot
of misunderstanding about this update.

Reactions: jon
Can’t you just simply choose the IR you want? Can’t understand all the brain damage. If you change something and don’t like it, just change it back to the IR you used before. Am I missing something? This is all great but Seems to be a lot

You're missing something.

As notalemming said, this thread is not about speaker IR's. You can change/restore speaker IRs to your heart's content and go back at any time.
If you change the new parameter in the amp block that was implemented with this firmware - no, you can't simply "go back". You have to restore your old preset from a saved location. Read Cliff's comments in this thread. He states the old "curves" were inferior, and that's why he did not include them in the new firmware beta. Hence, no going back ...

So, I copied my favorite preset to the next number up in line in the box. In the newly copied preset which has two amps, I changed the null cab for each, to the one in the list that best matches the IR that I’m using for each cab, then saved the preset.

When I go back and forth between the original “old” preset and the new one, I’m actually finding the new one to be a bit duller sounding. I know this is not what everyone else seems to be finding, so I don’t know. Maybe this means that now we have these better curves, I need rethink my IR choice?

@FractalAudio I want to make sure I actually understand the cabinet models in the advanced tab, they are utilizing a measurement of a specific cab with a specific type of speaker loaded into it correct? So the Boogie cabs are measurements of the corresponding boogie cabs loaded with V30's.
So if I had a Marshall 1960a loaded with Vintage 30's IR and I chose the boogie small or straight, I would not necessarily be getting the exact impedance curve of that cab type, but something "close"? same if I chose a Marshall greenback cabinet model i would be off because that was a measurement of a geenback loaded in a CB cab. am I looking at this correctly?

FINALLY had a chance to load up this firmware, even though I've been reading the thread all along, eagerly waiting to see what difference it makes and it is HUGE!!!! I though it would be subtle, and it kinda is I guess, but the FEEL!!! That chunky low end!!! Those sizzling highs!!! Those in your face, soaring mids!!! AMAZING!!!

CLIFF IS DA MAN!!

Also, you can delete the old ones, they sound embarrassing and flat now! LOLL!!! I A/B'd several times and it didn't take long for me to wonder how I was enjoying the axe before! It FEELS...it BREATHES....it is IN YO FACE!!!

I intentionally didn't look at the cab in the preset, I just turned the knob, used my ears (something it seems a lot of us have forgotten how to do), and found some curves I liked, and they weren't the 'right ones', but who cares??! It sounds great and it FEELS SOOOOOOOO much better!!

I have used tube stacks for years, playing LOUD and rocking out....and whilst playing with the different curves today, I looked up in disbelief, expecting to see a big V30 or G12 in front my face, the cone excitedly pulsing back and forth, slamming air into my face!!

I remember when I FIRST got the ultra a decade ago, I remember having that same disbelief....looking down, expecting to see the warm glow of some hot tubes....and gazing in disbelief only at a big black box that changed EVERYTHING for me....

So, I copied my favorite preset to the next number up in line in the box. In the newly copied preset which has two amps, I changed the null cab for each, to the one in the list that best matches the IR that I’m using for each cab, then saved the preset.

When I go back and forth between the original “old” preset and the new one, I’m actually finding the new one to be a bit duller sounding. I know this is not what everyone else seems to be finding, so I don’t know. Maybe this means that now we have these better curves, I need rethink my IR choice?

i'm just gonna turn the knob until it sounds good.

That's your answer right there! I'm just turning till I find what sounds good! I'm not looking at the cab IR being used or the name of the curve, I'm just turning till I hear something Iike! Sometimes it has been close to the original, most times not, but do like Jimi and just turn a knob till it sounds good and rock out brother!

There's no reason it would always sound better, it's just closer to reality... If you've modified your resonance settings in the past to your liking then it's probably better with the old curve...
My opinion only

Yeah, there were some curves that didn't 'get me', whilst others I couldn't move from! It's just like the amps, some we like, others we don't as much, but we all get to choose what flavor we want!

Okay I also just got a loud buzz and pop followed by a squeal while I was typing this, nearly made me jump out my seat! I think I heard the UPS click just before, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it...I was not playing, just had the guitar plugged in, no FC connected, axe edit connected however, and I was using the headphone port this time around (I use it to feed a mixer at the desk here which feeds some zxa1's when I bring the axe here to update, I normally connect with XLR'S or 1/4" to my main sound system - a pair of 2x15 eliminators or studio monitors)

Last edited:
The impedance curve is separate from the IR, and lives on the speaker tab of the amp block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom