Status
Not open for further replies.
So if i am understanding this correctly
Regardless of IR you choose you just
Pick the correct impedance curve
So this works with ML OH all Irs
Provided the match is in the list

I use CabBlock for Out1 (FOH)
I use no CabBlock for Out2 (stage) and then to SS amp and 2x12 cab with JBL D120 speakers. Anything I need to do for now? The cab is for feel. The audience hears FOH.

Ideally. For example if you are using an IR of a 4x12 Marshall JCM800 you would ideally select the 4x12 Brit 800 cabinet type. You can mismatch though for different sonic textures.
Regarding the idea you're working on to let the user measure his own cab impedance, will there also be user slots to store (and possibly share) personal curves in the amp block?

I use no CabBlock for Out2 (stage) and then to SS amp and 2x12 cab with JBL D120 speakers. Anything I need to do for now? The cab is for feel. The audience hears FOH.

Same here,
I'm using an IR of my JCM 4x12 with V30s/T75s on all my presets.
Output 2 goes to my SS power amp and my 1922 2x12 with V30s

So I'm wondering what method to go for. Should I pick an impedance curve that closely resembles the cab in my IR, or just go with the one that is suggested for the particular amp model in each preset?

If I understand Cliff correctly, you should use this new feature and match the virtual amp to the IR used to get the best possible sound and feel.
The SS power amp doesn't affect the speaker impedance as it's a voltage amplifier, and you can thus use the speaker impedance modelling in the amp sim when using SS amp and cab onstage.
See Cliffs post #23.
Is your real cab the same type og cab as the IR cab used ??
If the real cab and IR cab type are very different, then you might benefit from using a second amp block for output 2 and setting the speaker impedance modelling in that amp according to the real cabinet used .
As always, try it and see if you like it. If it sounds good, it is good.

Same here,
I'm using an IR of my JCM 4x12 with V30s/T75s on all my presets.
Output 2 goes to my SS power amp and my 1922 2x12 with V30s

So I'm wondering what method to go for. Should I pick an impedance curve that closely resembles the cab in my IR, or just go with the one that is suggested for the particular amp model in each preset?

Probably one that matches the IR you use - and if you like to tinker perhaps even a two amp approach where you duplicate the amp, and set one up for the real cab with a speaker impedance curve matched to the real cab as well.

Probably one that matches the IR you use - and if you like to tinker perhaps even a two amp approach where you duplicate the amp, and set one up for the real cab with a speaker impedance curve matched to the real cab as well.

OK, well I can't do the two amp thing on my presets due to CPU, but I can go with the curve that matches my IR, If I only knew which one that was. I mean, a JCM900 1960a with mixed speakers? I'm not sure.... Maybe it doesn't need one that's exact and I just pick a random 4x12 curve?

OK, well I can't do the two amp thing on my presets due to CPU, but I can go with the curve that matches my IR, If I only knew which one that was. I mean, a JCM900 1960a with mixed speakers? I'm not sure.... Maybe it doesn't need one that's exact and I just pick a random 4x12 curve?

Well that naturally makes it harder, but I your place I'd probably just try the available Marshall 4x12 curves and pick the one that you fell sounds and feels the best.
Out of interest - Whats your mix of speakers ?
If it's greenbacks and V30's I believe that is the mix commonly used in the Friedman 4x12's, so maybe try that one out when it's added, Cliff mentioned getting a Friedman 4x12 in for measurements.

Well that naturally makes it harder, but I your place I'd probably just try the available Marshall 4x12 curves and pick the one that you fell sounds and feels the best.
Out of interest - Whats your mix of speakers ?
If it's greenbacks and V30's I believe that is the mix commonly used in the Friedman 4x12's, so maybe try that one out when it's added, Cliff mentioned getting a Friedman 4x12 in for measurements.

thanks,
its V30s on the top and G12T75s on the bottom. I know a lot of people use this mix in a x pattern, but I prefer the V30s on the top in a slant cab. I use it in stereo too, so it makes more sense in that setting. the V30s are a more efficient speaker so they naturally are prominent, so I’d assume the best curve to choose would be a 4x12 slant with V30s. If there is one of course.

Mismatching can work

I had a JTM45 with Brit TV cab on and found the 4x12 Bassguy impedance curve gave good tone/feel..

Great fun!

yes, having scrolled though the various types, I gravitate to the 4x12 basketweave, it seems to sit quite nicely With my presets.

yes, having scrolled though the various types, I gravitate to the 4x12 basketweave, it seems to sit quite nicely With my presets.

Are you hearing or feeling a big difference , i am away from the Axe at the moment
And was curious to what tonal changes people are experiencing
Are they subtle or pretty noticeable

So for a long time, I've been tweaking the impedance curve to fit better (to my ears) the various IRs I would use. It really is a powerful tool (amongst many) to fine tune the overall sound. It was only missing the ability to manipulate the midrange. With this firmware feature combined with the additions in 10.02, I am finding it so easy to find the sound and feel I'm looking for so easily.
Great job on this Cliff!

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between the boogie small and boogie straight? Same cab no?
The Mesa Boogie cabs have different characteristics in tone depths and tightness. A small 4 x 12 traditional rectifier slant cab is not going to be as bassy as a 4 x 12 traditional straight cab. The over-sized or standard rectifier 4 x 12 cab, (I have a slant and straight), as they are called, has a looser bottom end than the traditional cab versions. Obviously this is due to the size of the cabs. Standards have more cubic inches than traditional cabs. I'm assuming this is the difference the AXE FX is referring to, small being slant and straight being just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom