IR Length

Also, takes a big man to admit if he's wrong or is now at a 180° stance where he once stood. 90% of engineers will go down fighting even when they know they're 'not correct'

And the few that DO admit to it, let themselves down into it...like.....'oh yes you are right in that regard, but let me show you all the other ways I was right'

So, seems like shooting IRs with the speaker 20ft or so from the ground, walls, and ceiling is a work around. No anechoic chambers in my neighborhood and aircraft hangers are too loud: is there such a thing as a quiet warehouse? Maybe an old barn in the countryside?

The speaker on its back on a comfortable mattress in a room with a really high ceiling makes sense, too.

Last edited:
reflections are ok if they sounded good when recorded but with a long IR you're stuck with them if they don't sound good, or if you don't want them. i like using 256 length for long practice intervals, it seems less fatiguing on the ears for some reason, just fundamental and not a lot of extra hifi fidelity

When ultrares was introduced, Ownhammers next few releases were very roomy with loud room reflections in the IR. They work better with short IR lenght to kill that unneeded fluff.

And I'm saying that SOMETIMES shorter is better. It depends on the environment they were captured in.
Ok I got it now, you're talking about using existing IRs which already have earlier reflections.

Btw imho it would be ideal to have:
a) reflection free 50ms IRs so as to have full resolution down to 20Hz
Or..
b) very long IRs to capture both the cab and the full room reverberation.

But I guess none of those two will ever happen

For those who don't follow the Argument Page, there is actually a tread about reflection free far field IR that includes some excellent far field IR samples. Jay and gigsup are the ones who have shared far field IR thus far. IR Properties

I bet I’m the only person who wishes there was a long IR block so I could do multiple seconds for reverb. Not that the reverbs arent great in the axe. But sometimes I like playing with large room/hall IR’s. Probably too much DSP? I’d like to be able to get rid of my Logidy Epsi IR reverb unit.

I bet I’m the only person who wishes there was a long IR block so I could do multiple seconds for reverb. Not that the reverbs arent great in the axe. But sometimes I like playing with large room/hall IR’s. Probably too much DSP? I’d like to be able to get rid of my Logidy Epsi IR reverb unit.
It's not the DSP it's the storage. Requires a large FLASH.

When we see the freq response of an ir, we are only seeing just 1 moment in time. Wait a split second and all those hills and valleys will be in a slightly different location. So it seems to me that you could just get an averaged freq response, one without any added artifacts, you would be fine. In other words, if you take 5 irs from a cabinate, wouldnt they all be slightly different? It certainly seems that if you strictly want the cab response you wouldnt want room reflections or any distortion from the pure cab. Any speaker system is going to excite a room at the right volume level, why would you want room excitation on top of room excitation. That would take you farther away from an "amp in the room" sound. MHO.

When we see the freq response of an ir, we are only seeing just 1 moment in time. Wait a split second and all those hills and valleys will be in a slightly different location. So it seems to me that you could just get an averaged freq response, one without any added artifacts, you would be fine. In other words, if you take 5 irs from a cabinate, wouldnt they all be slightly different? It certainly seems that if you strictly want the cab response you wouldnt want room reflections or any distortion from the pure cab. Any speaker system is going to excite a room at the right volume level, why would you want room excitation on top of room excitation. That would take you farther away from an "amp in the room" sound. MHO.
They would all be identical. If they are not you are doing something very wrong.

.... I’d like to be able to get rid of my Logidy Epsi IR reverb unit.
Sometimes it's best to just keep a unit like that (especially when you like the sound) and keep it in one of the AXE III loops. I still have an Eventide Eclipse in the loop of my AXE III even though I'm pretty sure the AXE can do everything I am having the Eventide do. But I keep the Eclipse because I just like the sound of the Eventide, and I have my presets dialed in. And I get to offload some CPU from the AXE III.

The Cab block already has the ability to truncate the IR. That's what this is all about. Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and you can set the IR length.

Would it make sense, is it possible to add a knob to turn down and adjust the IR length by ear instead of fixed length? This way for each IR we could tune the length by ear not only for the best result/sound also to save CPU.

Would it make sense, is it possible to add a knob to turn down and adjust the IR length by ear instead of fixed length? This way for each IR we could tune the length by ear not only for the best result/sound also to save CPU.
It's unlikely the average user could figure out the ideal setting by ear to that granularity. 256/512/etc. are a sufficient granularity for the average user.

Back
Top Bottom