Am I the Only One Not Using High or Low Cuts Anymore?

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I rarely use any cuts with firmware 10.

The other thing I noticed is that I'm gravitating to the "industry standard" of a mix of 121 and 57. I never used the 121 IRs prior to FW 10. Found them too boomy but now I like them mixed with a nice crunchy 57 IR.

As much as i like full guitar tone , pretty much every soundguy lowcuts it before doing anything else. I usually have to ask to go easy on a low cut since i already have some lowcut dialed in.

Nah same, and I'm a cut- master! LOLL
I'm actually really pleased with the way the lows sound now, and I'd probably cut if I was playing with another guitar player but they're SOOOOO good now that I find it hard to cut them now!

Background- I usually cut generously anywhere from 100-300hz depending on what sonic space is needed

As much as i like full guitar tone , pretty much every soundguy lowcuts it before doing anything else. I usually have to ask to go easy on a low cut since i already have some lowcut dialed in.

Probably the bass they're dialing down-most mixers cut about 80-120hz or so, which is likely what you may have cut already. If you've cut it already, them cutting it won't have much more effect

I havent tried without cuts, but I am currently using a low cut of around 88Hz. I have a high cut set around 9600 but that doesnt really do much.

Yup!
Been re-working my main presets and a few new ones for an upcoming project. Really happy with the results... Once you got the right Ir it's very easy to dial-in great tones. And I rarely use the advanced parameters... Been on-board the Fractal train for 5-6 years...

I never really worked it into my preset design habit so most of my presets have those values set to default.

Reactions: Ole
Never been a cut guy on the source...mostly EQ at the preamp and that’s about all. If recording, I might use some in the DAW, but rarely.

I rarely use any cuts with firmware 10.

The other thing I noticed is that I'm gravitating to the "industry standard" of a mix of 121 and 57. I never used the 121 IRs prior to FW 10. Found them too boomy but now I like them mixed with a nice crunchy 57 IR.
I have yet to use the low/high cuts, actually, since I got my AxeFX3 this spring. I have noticed, in looking back at cabs I have marked as favorites, that I tend to land on the 160 a lot. Might have to add one to my mic drawer. 57 and 121 is a nice combo, too. Either alone doesn't quite git 'er done, but together, they fill in each other's deficiencies nicely....

Quick question.... if I Cut Lows and Highs in the Output 1-2 Global EQ why do I still have to make Cuts in the Cab Block ? I’ve noticed at our shows, at large venues, with crazy subs I have to cut them in both places .....

Last edited:
I’m just playing at home but fairly loud and I’ve noticed I don’t really feel the need for hi/lo cuts like I had in the past. The low end is pretty much perfect in v10.02.

Low cutting REALLY helps to tighten up a guitar sound, but with FASPICE XD it is already so tight and explosive!

I started using my AX8 again, as the iii has taken all my love lol and I cut pretty generously on that. On the FW 10 axe it just sounds RIGHT. I don't care if the real amp doesn't sound like that, it sounds great and right to me, so I prefer that!

I always cut later on or I risk tracking a wimpy sound. Track in all its glory. Shape later on. I also automate my EQ often, depending on the arrangement of a track.

Low cut 80 hi cut at 8000. Always use this in my presets. Accidentily i can do minor tweaks if needed for the sound. I use it in both the amp as the cab block.

My current favorite combo is:

Factory 2: F165 [2x12 Zilla Cream H 57 1 ML]
+
Legacy: F166
[4x12 Rumble L 121 A]

Sounds close to my real cab with an EVM 12-L and Celestion G12-150.

Back
Top Bottom