Axe-Fx IV round the corner?

Ah, apologies you did say

As someone who also went from the AX8 to the III all I'd say is keep an open mind. Although nowhere near as complex as what you're planning I also had ideas of running multiple instances of blocks, but quickly discovered that in practice it really isn't necessary (for me at least) as there are so many ways of achieving things with the III - and those options are forever growing with the continual updates we're getting.

I'd love to see and hear what you have planned in action once you're up and running - the beauty of this unit is that it gives us the power to play rigs that otherwise would be pure fantasy for many of us, and yours definitely falls into that category!

With 18 footswitches and all the gain staging variables you have in mind though, I don't think I'd have the headspace to remember what I was playing!

I think when you finally get the III , you will find that you can do exactly what you want in a more simple way .. ( i.e taking the airplane to get to your destination , rather than the highway .. you still get there in the end )

I think when you finally get the III , you will find that you can do exactly what you want in a more simple way .. ( i.e taking the airplane to get to your destination , rather than the highway .. you still get there in the end )
The manual doesn’t mention anything easier that I can see...

Ah, apologies you did say

As someone who also went from the AX8 to the III all I'd say is keep an open mind. Although nowhere near as complex as what you're planning I also had ideas of running multiple instances of blocks, but quickly discovered that in practice it really isn't necessary (for me at least) as there are so many ways of achieving things with the III - and those options are forever growing with the continual updates we're getting.

I'd love to see and hear what you have planned in action once you're up and running - the beauty of this unit is that it gives us the power to play rigs that otherwise would be pure fantasy for many of us, and yours definitely falls into that category!

With 18 footswitches and all the gain staging variables you have in mind though, I don't think I'd have the headspace to remember what I was playing!
I’m thinking once it’s programmed it should be pretty easy to navigate.

@lwknives when you get it, post a preset. Based on everything you said I'm fairly confident optimizing your preset is possible. You're...doing things weird in a lot of cases with EQ and VOL blocks. That's stuff you can cover with controllers and control switches for less CPU. I forget what experience you have with Fractal tech -- do you own a II or an AX8?

1571936485338.png
1571936680746.png

This is the block layout and FC Layout 1.

FC12 switch 1-4 are control switches 1-4 in a mutually exclusive group the control the bypass state of the amp inputs and also the 4 filters to give each gain level its own output level. This gives me 5 levels of gain and compression that can all be accessed with one press of a footswitch.
Stand in switches 1-4 are set up as follows, press toggles between scenes with low and high delay mix. Hold toggles CTR switch 6 which increases delay feedback.
The other switches are used for other FX, Delay CH switching, a solo boost and utilities.
This method lets me make changes to gain level without changing FX and vice versa.
During a typical set I will change to a new delay subdivision at the start of the song and then change gain amount and delay mix for different parts of the song. Some songs require changing delay subdivision while retaining the same drive setting. I want all of this with perfect delay spillover.
I am definitely doing some weird stuff but this setup should be extremely effective for my requirements. If there is a simpler way to get this same switching functionality I'm all ears!!!

They are separate but the channel select is stored in the scene. So if all my scenes have ch1 selected in my amp every time I select a new scene it will go back to Ch1 in the amp.
For example, if I am on ch1 on my amp and in scene 1 and then select ch2 using the FC but then select scene 2 I will go back to amp ch1.
I want to be able to select any drive level and then select any scene without changing that drive level. I also want to be able to select any scene and change drive level without changing the scene.
Within a single scene you can have each block on a different channel. You could do something like:
Scene 1
  • Block 1, Channel D
  • Block 2, Channel A
  • Block 3, Channel B
  • Block 4, Channel D
Scene 2
  • Block 1, Channel C
  • Block 2, Channel B
  • Block 3, Channel A
  • Block 4, Channel D

Within a single scene you can have each block on a different channel. You could do something like:
Scene 1
  • Block 1, Channel D
  • Block 2, Channel A
  • Block 3, Channel B
  • Block 4, Channel D
Scene 2
  • Block 1, Channel C
  • Block 2, Channel B
  • Block 3, Channel A
  • Block 4, Channel D
I get that. What I would need for channels to work would be to have the channel stay where I put it regardless of what is programmed into the scene.
In your example I would need it to work as follows:
While in scene 1 use FC controller to change block 3 to CH D, then change to scene 2 and block 3 remain on CH D.
The current functionality is that when changing to scene 2 block 3 would automatically switch to CH A.

Thanks for that! Did you happen to add the control switches?
I've not used control switches much but I did just setup the first two and there is no change in CPU until the switch is pressed at which point there is a slight <1% jump. Isn't that correct that they only affect CPU when info is being sent (aka button press), or am I doing something different than what you are asking?

I've not used control switches much but I did just setup the first two and there is no change in CPU until the switch is pressed at which point there is a slight <1% jump. Isn't that correct that they only affect CPU when info is being sent (aka button press), or am I doing something different than what you are asking?
I’m not really sure about that... The preset will end up having about 19 parameters being changed by control switches.

View attachment 59362
View attachment 59363

This is the block layout and FC Layout 1.

FC12 switch 1-4 are control switches 1-4 in a mutually exclusive group the control the bypass state of the amp inputs and also the 4 filters to give each gain level its own output level. This gives me 5 levels of gain and compression that can all be accessed with one press of a footswitch.
Stand in switches 1-4 are set up as follows, press toggles between scenes with low and high delay mix. Hold toggles CTR switch 6 which increases delay feedback.
The other switches are used for other FX, Delay CH switching, a solo boost and utilities.
This method lets me make changes to gain level without changing FX and vice versa.
During a typical set I will change to a new delay subdivision at the start of the song and then change gain amount and delay mix for different parts of the song. Some songs require changing delay subdivision while retaining the same drive setting. I want all of this with perfect delay spillover.
I am definitely doing some weird stuff but this setup should be extremely effective for my requirements. If there is a simpler way to get this same switching functionality I'm all ears!!!

I was wondering how long it would be before The Edge made the switch to Fractal 😀

If you are interested this is a chart that shows the exact CTR SW assignments. For this to work amp 1 needs to have input set to left.

1571943453467.png

Back
Top Bottom