Axe-Fx IV round the corner?

I guess my question is.... is he running this setup outside of the AxeFx and knows how it sounds and wants to recreate it? Or is it just theory crafting a rig?
I have an excel spreadsheet that simulates the Axe FX iii CPU load based of the CPU values given in a post on this forum. My calculation gave me CPU in the low 80s with no controllers.
I will be purchasing a iii the beginning of this upcoming month.

Not having a III you are probably underestimating the power of Channels. They are a game changer.
Having extensively read and studied the manual I can assure you that is not the case. If you could change channels using a controller they would be more useful but in this case I will only be able to use them for FX and not gain staging an cab switching.

Like I said, I haven’t purchased it yet so a can’t test it.
Here is approximately what I’m looking at:
Comp
3 volumes
4 filters
4 GEQ
2 amp blocks with gain enhancer
1 drive (would like 2 but don’t think I have room)
1 stereo cab with preamp and room sim
4 delays
2 plex delays
2 reverbs
Rotory block
Chorus
Vibroto
Tremolo
Using scenes to select FX and control switches to select gain staging.
That’s pretty much it.
are you trolling? you call that "minimal fx"....get outta here

I’m pretty sure the Axe III Cab block is stereo and it supports 4 simultaneous IR’s. Mono/Stereo operation only applies to the input.

Control switches might not be able to switch channels, but the FC6/12 can

Really - your calculations and methods are flawed, don't mean to be rude - but there are many ways of achieving similar effects, yes of course you can break the CPU of ANY system, but my presets have got simpler and simpler as the FW has progressed - and coming from the AX8 you haven't experienced that yet.

My normal presets have:

1 Compressor
1 Wah
1 Volume
2 Drives
Amp
Delay
Phaser
Chorus
Flanger
Rotary
Reverb
Delay
Filter
Looper

And I'm barely getting over 50-60%

With the FC12 on ANY of the above, with one footswitch I can turn the effect on and also move through all 4 channels

Control switches might not be able to switch channels, but the FC6/12 can

Really - your calculations and methods are flawed, don't mean to be rude - but there are many ways of achieving similar effects, yes of course you can break the CPU of ANY system, but my presets have got simpler and simpler as the FW has progressed - and coming from the AX8 you haven't experienced that yet.

My normal presets have:

1 Compressor
1 Wah
1 Volume
2 Drives
Amp
Delay
Phaser
Chorus
Flanger
Rotary
Reverb
Delay
Filter
Looper

And I'm barely getting over 50-60%

With the FC12 on ANY of the above, with one footswitch I can turn the effect on and also move through all 4 channels
My calculation was verified accurate by @crdark.
My method is the method I need to use in order to get the delay flexibility I need to be able to get through a setlist using only 1 preset. I want to only use 1 preset mostly because I want perfect spillover when changing songs.
I’m getting an FC12 plus 6 external foot switches to control this preset.
Channels won’t work for me because I need my gain staging and FX to function independently from each other.
The preset set up the way I am planing will give me all of the delay and gain staging flexibility I need with minimal tap dancing. Does it push the iii to its limits? Yes, but it is what I want.

With all due respect your preset would not be anywhere close to doing what I need.

I’m getting an FC12 plus 6 external foot switches to control this preset.
Channels won’t work for me because I need my gain staging and FX to function independently from each other.

Sorry just talking about the above two points - why not get a FC12, FC6 or another FC12 and then add the external switches if you're going for the ultimate?

Also 'Channels won't work for me because I need my gain staging and FX to function independently from each other' - that's exactly what channels does.

I think you need to buy the III, try it, keep it or return it.

What is certain is that the III will give you a massive power and sound quality improvement over your current AX8

Sorry just talking about the above two points - why not get a FC12, FC6 or another FC12 and then add the external switches if you're going for the ultimate?

Also 'Channels won't work for me because I need my gain staging and FX to function independently from each other' - that's exactly what channels does.

I think you need to buy the III, try it, keep it or return it.

What is certain is that the III will give you a massive power and sound quality improvement over your current AX8
I want the FC12 plus 6 externals because it is more compact, cheaper and just as functional (except for scribble strips).

Channels won’t work because I need to use scenes to get the delay flexibility I need. If I’m using scenes to change delay the scenes will also change my amp and cab channels.
Also, on my gain staging I need to change amp settings and switch from a drive to a comp. My scenes are already being used to change FX so I need to use control switches to make multiple adjustments at once And control switches won’t change my amp channel.
I could not use scenes or control switches but then I would have to do more tap dancing between song sections.
I’m not complaining about the functionality of the Axe FX iii but I will have to make compromises to get under 90% on the CPU. It’s still the best thing available

Again, I’m already planing on purchasing the iii, I have the preset designed so that when I get it I will be able to just plug all the blocks and numbers in and I will be gigging with it in less than a week.
But it doesn’t look like my kitchen sink will have all the FX I use. I also won’t be able to use 4 IRs so my two amps will have to share a cab block. Big step up from the Ax8 for sure but not unlimited.

I want the FC12 plus 6 externals because it is more compact, cheaper and just as functional (except for scribble strips).

Channels won’t work because I need to use scenes to get the delay flexibility I need. If I’m using scenes to change delay the scenes will also change my amp and cab channels.
Also, on my gain staging I need to change amp settings and switch from a drive to a comp. My scenes are already being used to change FX so I need to use control switches to make multiple adjustments at once And control switches won’t change my amp channel.
I could not use scenes or control switches but then I would have to do more tap dancing between song sections.
I’m not complaining about the functionality of the Axe FX iii but I will have to make compromises to get under 90% on the CPU. It’s still the best thing available

Again, I’m already planing on purchasing the iii, I have the preset designed so that when I get it I will be able to just plug all the blocks and numbers in and I will be gigging with it in less than a week.
But it doesn’t look like my kitchen sink will have all the FX I use. I also won’t be able to use 4 IRs so my two amps will have to share a cab block. Big step up from the Ax8 for sure but not unlimited.
Channels are independent of scenes. You can have the same channel on every scene if you want. See the manual for details.

I’d really like to watch a gig where one needs, much less actually uses, some of these crazy rigs where someone is using like 50 effects/instances.

Mind you I’m kind of in the “you can do a gig just rolling the volume pot up and down” type, but I can’t really wrap my head around needing 4 different compressors, filter blocks, 8 delays, 12 different types of modulation et al, at a given time, all on the fly.....

mod people sit down to write a song with the goal of using like 26 different drive pedal sounds, through 8 different amps, all in the course of 4 minutes or something? Like every 10 seconds your changing your tone ?

Channels are independent of scenes. You can have the same channel on every scene if you want. See the manual for details.
They are separate but the channel select is stored in the scene. So if all my scenes have ch1 selected in my amp every time I select a new scene it will go back to Ch1 in the amp.
For example, if I am on ch1 on my amp and in scene 1 and then select ch2 using the FC but then select scene 2 I will go back to amp ch1.
I want to be able to select any drive level and then select any scene without changing that drive level. I also want to be able to select any scene and change drive level without changing the scene.

I’d really like to watch a gig where one needs, much less actually uses, some of these crazy rigs where someone is using like 50 effects/instances.

Mind you I’m kind of in the “you can do a gig just rolling the volume pot up and down” type, but I can’t really wrap my head around needing 4 different compressors, filter blocks, 8 delays, 12 different types of modulation et al, at a given time, all on the fly.....

mod people sit down to write a song with the goal of using like 26 different drive pedal sounds, through 8 different amps, all in the course of 4 minutes or something? Like every 10 seconds your changing your tone ?
The filters and GEQs are just used as on off switches and level correction to get 5 different gain levels using control switches.
The delays are 1/8, 1/4, dot 1/8 and dual delay. Those 4 subdivisions are very common in some music styles. Also, the idea of this preset is to cover several hundred songs without having to creat special presets for each song.

They are separate but the channel select is stored in the scene. So if all my scenes have ch1 selected in my amp every time I select a new scene it will go back to Ch1 in the amp.
For example, if I am on ch1 on my amp and in scene 1 and then select ch2 using the FC but then select scene 2 I will go back to amp ch1.
I want to be able to select any drive level and then select any scene without changing that drive level. I also want to be able to select any scene and change drive level without changing the scene.

Given what you want, I'm curious how you are currently getting by with the AX8?

Back
Top Bottom