Have you ever been embarrassed for an artist?

Said it was an indoor football game and they were booked after the players signing event. The crowd (or lack thereof) definitely sucks. But the band actually sounds pretty good.

Yeah, they didn't sound bad... But it's definitely an embarrassing situation if you're in a massive, massive place and nobody is there to give a shit.

Was it as bad as his performance here?

Hard to say if it's age. Age seemed to negatively affect Chuck Berry and BB King both...
However, age has not really affected Jeff Beck or David Gilmour or Eric Clapton.

It's hard to tell with Dickey, in the video I posted his right hand looks oddly positioned, maybe arthritis?
Or, yeah, maybe it's too much booze.

Hard to know why age seems to affect some guitarists but not others who are even older.

OH MY GOD - TUNING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SONG AT FULL VOLUME!!!

Good stories. I like the 'positive' spin of exposing our foibles on stage.

But Dickey...I couldn't watch any more. I think that clip was during that concert that I started watching...just didn't get that far.

Yeah, remember seeing BB King in those last years, seemed all he did was play one note as sweet as he could, listen for the cheers, play one note again. I'm pretty sure that the diabetes had as much to do with that as age.

I'll throw one. We were playing at Elitch Gardens, we did 'Hocus Pocus'. I, like an idiot, was tired, so accepted a Red Bull and Jaeger right beforehand. I absolutely blew about every other note of that song with jitters (I generally don't have caffeine and/or sugar). Worst part is we filmed the whole afternoon, so it's preserved in history.

a David Gillmor / Pink Floyd reunion DVD...dude played the same thing in a solo for like 2 hours...there was more energy in facial expression than playing...everyone is like bowing down in worship and raising their hands, dude keeps playing same two notes over and over again...:frowning:

Also watching anything QOTSA live, after Lullabies to Paralyze...at this point it's a dad joke that just won't stop...it's embarrassing.

A couple times I embarrassed myself.

80’s playing Longtime by Boston. Had my acoustic guitar on a stand and wearing my electric.

Time for big solo so I ducked under neck of acoustic to stand in front of it to play. I ducked down and backed up after solo, but not low enough. Ended up with 80’s big hair hopelessly tangled in 12 string tuners.

I just kind of hung under the guitar and kept playing in a total Spinal Tap moment.

Singer came over and grabbed my hair and guitar and just kind of pried me free. Finished set with a scalp hanging from my acoustic.

Once I missed my guitar with my picking hand and hit myself in the balls so hard I threw up on stage.

The series of EVH videos from NAMM 2003 go beyond embarrassment to heartbreaking, for me. Certainly a dark time for Eddie and I'm glad he was able to move beyond it.

I don't know if I ever seen this before, if I did I probably thought it was fake.

WTF.

Did he just totally forget how to play here or what? Does he have a dose of thorozine in him here or what?
Most 12 year olds play far better than this.

It's actually refreshing thought to see that our guitar Gods are not really magical Gods, they are just regular musicians that put in the practice and developed a unique style... without maintaining their practice of the instrument they become as sloppy and horrible as an amateur.

Ah what a song!

Good stories. I like the 'positive' spin of exposing our foibles on stage.

But Dickey...I couldn't watch any more. I think that clip was during that concert that I started watching...just didn't get that far.

Yeah, remember seeing BB King in those last years, seemed all he did was play one note as sweet as he could, listen for the cheers, play one note again. I'm pretty sure that the diabetes had as much to do with that as age.

I'll throw one. We were playing at Elitch Gardens, we did 'Hocus Pocus'. I, like an idiot, was tired, so accepted a Red Bull and Jaeger right beforehand. I absolutely blew about every other note of that song with jitters (I generally don't have caffeine and/or sugar). Worst part is we filmed the whole afternoon, so it's preserved in history.

What was the occasion here? Seems odd they’re at a giant arena that’s empty.

Not surprising. Jack is a POS. A couple hundred of his fans burned to death due to his stupidity and greed. And he never showed any true remorse either. Most people stopped listening to him or having anything to do with him after that. He was never that great to begin with anyways, rode on the coat tails of bigger Artists and MTV at the time with his what 2 or 3 hit songs from their 2 albums. It's quite fitting.

...Once I missed my guitar with my picking hand and hit myself in the balls so hard I threw up on stage.

Hardcore! That's the stuff legends are made from!

I once did a Pete Townsend jump on Won't Get Fooled Again, forgetting there was a low ceiling on the stage. Knocked myself out cold, but still landed on the A chord.

Back
Top Bottom