Tuner Poll

What is your preference for the tuner note names?

• Mixed sharps and flats as it is now, i.e. C, C#, D, Eb...

Votes: 172 46.4%
  • All sharps, i.e. C, C#, D, D#...

Votes: 40 10.8%
  • All flats, i.e. C, Db, D, Eb...

Votes: 159 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't care about sharps or flats, but would love a tuner mode that displays octave numbers (scientific pitch). This would replace the string number on the right (Low E = 6, A = 5 etc) with the octave (440Hz=A4, 220Hz=A3 etc). The current mode is useless for two of my guitars which are tuned in all fifths, especially because one of them only has 5 strings :) An octave number mode would also be beneficial for a wide range of other non-standard tunings.

Can we get a toggle on the tuner config page for this?

Just update the UI so it shows “C#/Db” instead? Maybe then everyone can stop whinging?

I suspect this entirely stems from “Well, I was in standard tuning and I tuned down a half-step, so in my mind every string is now a flat name”, I imagine if tuning up a half-step from E were more common, you’d then have just as many people asking, “why does the A string say Bb and not A#?”... maybe “A#/Bb” will satisfy everyone? (Either that or it’ll just generate new “why does the A come before the B? I’m tuning my B string. That’s confusing to me” posts ;))

I prefer flats, mostly because I am usually downtuning, though I wouldn't mind if it was all sharps either, the mixed one really throws me off though. Also agree about removing the string number or possibly replacing it with an octave. It's meaningless on my tenor, 7, 8, or bass guitars...

I read many years ago that it's a more proper music etiquette to use flats, even though technically many sharps/flats are the same. I have no idea if the author of that article knew what he was talking about as I haven't seen that written anywhere else. but it sorta makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom