What are some good monitors for the Axe-Fx III?

Frqd92

I play in my bedroom 99% of the time, currently using a pair of JBL lsr305s.. Feel like they're a bit weak on the treble even though they're great for their price... Looking for something in the 900 dollar range and after some research it seems like the Adam a5x are a good fit but wanted to ask for expert opinion.. I'll be using them to mix mainly progressive metal, so lots of different instruments all over the place..

Thanks

I play in my bedroom 99% of the time, currently using a pair of JBL lsr305s.. Feel like they're a bit weak on the treble even though they're great for their price... Looking for something in the 900 dollar range and after some research it seems like the Adam a5x are a good fit but wanted to ask for expert opinion.. I'll be using them to mix mainly progressive metal, so lots of different instruments all over the place..

Thanks

I have the A3X and really like them.

I play through Adam A7X powered monitors and they are great. I’d expect the smaller versions to have a similar sonic honesty, with not as much low end. Good luck and enjoy!
I have the A3X and really like them.

Thank you for the suggestions. Yeah the low end is my main concern here, read on some forums that a sub might be needed with the a5xs but then it becomes a bit out of my price range for the moment.. Sub 8 by itself is 600 dollars but with the a5x bundle the total is way cheaper but still out of my price range.. Was hoping just a pair of a5x would do the job..

Doubtful you need a sub for guitar.... after all, a lot of people already low pass filter at around 100hz or so, so the sub would be contributing very little. Nice to have for other material though, I have a Temblor T10 and it’s awesome for synth stuff, program music etc

Doubtful you need a sub for guitar.... after all, a lot of people already low pass filter at around 100hz or so, so the sub would be contributing very little. Nice to have for other material though, I have a Temblor T10 and it’s awesome for synth stuff, program music etc

While I am mainly a guitar player, I still record bass for my songs and program the other instruments.. I'm not an extreme audiophile though, just want something that will give the axe justice and allow me to properly mix some prog metal music.

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/loudspeakers/stage-monitors/k82/
I have the 10s ..if you can wait they're putting out on just for guitar modeling
mine are just right for my house or a bar...good luck , the forum has great ideas

That sounds interesting, will read more about them but they seem to be a little out of my price range. Found them for 1400 euros (~1500 dollars) in my country.

Last edited:
I have found the difference between the KRKs and the Yamahas near-fields to be worth the money. I can't speak to things more expensive than that. The HS8s have plenty of bass and there is an integrated sub-option if you need super lows.

Focal alpha 80 have lots of low end (but not too much), clarity for days and almost within your budget.

I love mine, for both guitar playing and some general mixing+ listening.

This would be a good FAQ question if it's not already somewhere... comes up a lot it seems.
A thread just like this one gets started about half a dozen times a year, every year. I don't think any new information has been posted in the last three years. Just new threads. :)

There are a thousand different opinions, and nothing you could succinctly put into an FAQ.

Last edited:
A thread just like this one gets started about half a dozen times a year, every year. I don't think any new information has been posted on the last three years. Just new threads. :)

There are a thousand different opinions, and nothing you could succinctly put into an FAQ.

You could put exactly that.
Q: What monitors go best with my Axe-Fx III?
A: This question gets asked several times every year. There are a thousand different opinions, and only you can decide for sure. However, some popular solutions are X, Y, Z.

:)

There are plenty of threads on this topic but I see value in fresh discussions to see where people are at and whether anything new has come up. Reading one of these a few weeks ago from earlier this year put me onto the Headrush FRFR 108. Went ahead and bought one. AMAZING!! Seriously rivals my Adam A7X/Adam Sub setup for flat out guitar joy.

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/loudspeakers/stage-monitors/k82/
I have the 10s ..if you can wait they're putting out on just for guitar modeling
mine are just right for my house or a bar...good luck , the forum has great ideas

I have a K10 and a pair of K12s. (All of them V1.0.) The K12s are used primarily for our band's FOH. The K10 is my wedge monitor on stage, and what I run my Axe-Fx through at home. If I'm being lazy I just plug into my computer speakers, which are just a pair of older M-Audio 5" desktop monitors. Not great for dialing in presets, but OK for quick practice sessions. I've gone and jammed with other bands just taking the Axe-Fx and a K10 or single K12, and I'm happy with either one. But I'm intrigued by your comment about upcoming guitar modeling speakers from QSC. Do you have any links to more info?

For bedroom playing a pair of Presonu Eris E5 or equivallent JBL 305 is fine: compact, great sound, nice frequency covering. I Had the Eis8, great but too big, too loud. Eris 5 is a good choice on the desk. (will be buy Eris5 this month, after had/sold E8 in the past)

I have a K10 and a pair of K12s. (All of them V1.0.) The K12s are used primarily for our band's FOH. The K10 is my wedge monitor on stage, and what I run my Axe-Fx through at home. If I'm being lazy I just plug into my computer speakers, which are just a pair of older M-Audio 5" desktop monitors. Not great for dialing in presets, but OK for quick practice sessions. I've gone and jammed with other bands just taking the Axe-Fx and a K10 or single K12, and I'm happy with either one. But I'm intrigued by your comment about upcoming guitar modeling speakers from QSC. Do you have any links to more info?
about 5 months ago I emailed QSC about what the best setting in the back of the 10s , ill be darn if a rep didn't call me , we talked awhile about QSC putting out a set up video for our monitors he ask what do i use it for and where , then he told me that they are working on a frfr monitor just for guitar modeling. he didnt say when the product would come out, but did say the they had are going to ask a famous guitarist to do the video, he told me who but I don't want to get anyone in a bad position, i will say that he uses a axe III . and we all know him here on the forum. so, no I don't know yet when they will release this .but when i get more info I will post it.

Back
Top Bottom