Use Axe-Fx III as in-ear mixer?

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
Haven't tried it but was wondering if this could work. When getting an in-ear mix from a venue it's usually mono. I'd love to hear my guitar in stereo. Was looking at getting a little external mixer to mix an output of the III with the board mix (sans guitar) and mix my own. But was wondering if I could do it all within the III and forgo the external mixer.

Proposed setup:
Out 1 --> main board / PA
Out 4 --> In-ear transmitter
In 4 --> board mix (sans guitar)

If I set up my blocks to merge my guitar output and the In 4 input with a mixer block going to Out 4 (the in-ear transmitter) - would that work without any issues? Also, could I set up a global parameter to hold the In 4 level mix so I could adjust the mix on the fly and keep that mix across presets?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

I have this exact setup. Not sure which ins/outs I use of the top of my head, but it works great.

Great - and do you have a way to keep a global mix between your Axe-Fx and the returned board mix? How do you have that implemented?

I ditched my external mixer also and do this all in the III. Pretty much like you have stated. The only issue is not having a global mixer block. Ive stuck to using a single preset for those gigs. I adjust at sound check and save. One thing I started looking at is using a few volume blocks instead of mixer block that could be saved globally. But need to do more testing with that.

As an added bonus, I have a Bluetooth midi plugged into the III. And then made a touch OSC layout for my phone. I connect to axe via Bluetooth and adjust my mix that way. For row gain/pan on the mixer I set modifiers to external controllers. Then the touch OSC layout sends midi commands that I have set for the controllers. The layout is a simple set of faders and knobs for panning.
This saves from having to try and adjust mix via front panel. Works great.

Here is a pic of that.

D644C1F2-46D9-4C9D-8471-38008669244C.png

Chad - very cool stuff! I can't get away with a single preset so that vector is out for me.

After playing with a preset it looks like the thing holding the plan back is the lack of a global modifier for the mix controls. I could hook up a couple external dials and do it that way I suppose. I'm debating doing that or just using a small line mixer.

If anyone has any other thoughts or ideas please chime in - thanks!

Yep, I've done this as well. Played a gig in the park this summer with a singer/songwriter. Vocal, acoustic and electric guitar was it. City provided sound guy and PA, but we didn't know if there would be decent monitors, so I racked up the Fx-III with an IEM transmitter and the wireless RX for a vocal mic and set up a preset something like:

out 1 - elec guitar
out 2 - acoustic guitar
out 3 - vocal mic (wireless RX came into the Fx-III and we applied a little comp and reverb)
out 4 - to IEM Tx

I then set up a global page so I could us the A B C D knobs to adjust the mix in our IEMs. At the gig I just handed the sound guy 3 XLRs labeled Vox, E Guitar, Ac Guitar and told him we didn't need anything in the monitor. Worked like a charm.

IMG_20190730_174901.jpg

Sounds good! So you did this all on one preset? I think my sticking point is keeping the mix across presets.

Great - and do you have a way to keep a global mix between your Axe-Fx and the returned board mix? How do you have that implemented?

I'm typically patched into an Allen-Heath ME-1 or I take 2-XLR's directly in and use an iPhone app on our bands Qu-Pac mixer to set the rest of the band mix.

Sounds good! So you did this all on one preset? I think my sticking point is keeping the mix across presets.
I did change presets at one point in the set. But yes, you lose your mix at that point, so best avoided if possible. Fortunately the Fx-III has tons of processing power, and with 4 of everything per block you should be able to get just about everything in the realm of "normal" guitar sounds in a single preset. Bizarre effects are another matter....

You can put an eq block before the output and link it as a global block. That way you can control sound, volume and balance easily over all presets.
One thing to consider. When you change to a different preset you get a short audio gap.

You can put an eq block before the output and link it as a global block. That way you can control sound, volume and balance easily over all presets.
One thing to consider. When you change to a different preset you get a short audio gap.

Can you adjust gain/balance for each row?

Back
Top Bottom