Adventures in Impulse Responses.. reviews.. I laughed, I cried.. it was better than "Cats"

mistermikev

Experienced
So... have spent a ton of time going down the rabbit hole willingly on impulse responses. I'm not new to them... I have accumulated a stupid collection of them over the years but 'till now, I had just kind of used them when I needed them and never spent much time comparing.
In a world where every impulse response vender offers their version of engle/bogner/marshall/mesa... I'm much more interested in unusual offerings as everything else is covered in my collection. Anywho, snagged a few packs this weekend and wanted to make a few comments:

Lancaster audio - they had a sale this weekend 4 for 2. so for $24 I got the budda 4x12, fender super twin, bill jenkins(bass) and Epiphany UL3(bass). Lancaster doesn't list any info about their irs on their site afa specific cabs/speakers/mics/number-of-captures. So when I took the plunge and got these I was a bit disappointed to find only 3 impulses per purchase. I'm assuming they are mixes as no info re mics/placement.
On the bright side I didn't have to go through and audition hundreds of files like I would with any of the other mainstream offerings! among the 3 files I did get there weren't any 'bummers'.
The budda 4x12 is a nice contrast to the typical 1x12 or 2x12 irs you find... very full. The epiphany includes an additional 3 tweeter files so... 6 total. Nice punch. the bill jenkens is a bit dark but def something useable there.

3Sigma -
was reading a post at tgp regarding the marshal 1960AHw offering from 3Sigma. As I understand, this cab was offered with the marshal super bass and featured celestion G12H30 that were apparently a bit thicker - for bass use. Thought this would pair nicely with a pseudo 'marshall major' preset I've been working on for bass. The files I got are nicely labeled and there were plenty to sort through. These sound great to me and I suspect the will work nicely for guitar as well. Wish their site had more info for each offering - also not a huge variety.

Dr Bonkers -
ahh... good ole dr bonkers... why did I ever stray? Picked up the MBGR-B 8x10(bass) from dr b this weekend. No one else I've tried, short of maybe ownhammer, offers the same value for the money as Dr B. You get a TON of mic placements, tons of mixes (hyper real!), and a ton of documentation. The names of the files tell you all you need to know - no need for bulk renaming (thank you!). Most importantly - they sound outstanding. He manages to capture not only compressed punch, but fat vintage sounds as well.
I really like the fact that while others are offering "nice shiny brand new" cabinets/pictures... Dr B offers REAL cabs. some rips and tears in the pictures... maybe not exactly pretty... but the photos are as real as the irs you get.
this cab has several variations on each mic. Each speaker (all 8!) is sampled as well as some rear/distant samples. Well organized. Top notch.
If there is a downside, It would have to be that honestly, I don't think the demos on the site do the captures justice. had a hard time really HEARING the cab in the demo, but this is just one moron's opinion so... take it for what it is.
Dr B. = more please!

So... have spent a ton of time going down the rabbit hole willingly on impulse responses. I'm not new to them... I have accumulated a stupid collection of them over the years but 'till now, I had just kind of used them when I needed them and never spent much time comparing.
In a world where every impulse response vender offers their version of engle/bogner/marshall/mesa... I'm much more interested in unusual offerings as everything else is covered in my collection. Anywho, snagged a few packs this weekend and wanted to make a few comments:

Lancaster audio - they had a sale this weekend 4 for 2. so for $24 I got the budda 4x12, fender super twin, bill jenkins(bass) and Epiphany UL3(bass). Lancaster doesn't list any info about their irs on their site afa specific cabs/speakers/mics/number-of-captures. So when I took the plunge and got these I was a bit disappointed to find only 3 impulses per purchase. I'm assuming they are mixes as no info re mics/placement.
On the bright side I didn't have to go through and audition hundreds of files like I would with any of the other mainstream offerings! among the 3 files I did get there weren't any 'bummers'.
The budda 4x12 is a nice contrast to the typical 1x12 or 2x12 irs you find... very full. The epiphany includes an additional 3 tweeter files so... 6 total. Nice punch. the bill jenkens is a bit dark but def something useable there.

3Sigma - was reading a post at tgp regarding the marshal 1960AHw offering from 3Sigma. As I understand, this cab was offered with the marshal super bass and featured celestion G12H30 that were apparently a bit thicker - for bass use. Thought this would pair nicely with a pseudo 'marshall major' preset I've been working on for bass. The files I got are nicely labeled and there were plenty to sort through. These sound great to me and I suspect the will work nicely for guitar as well. Wish their site had more info for each offering - also not a huge variety.

Dr Bonkers - ahh... good ole dr bonkers... why did I ever stray? Picked up the MBGR-B 8x10(bass) from dr b this weekend. No one else I've tried, short of maybe ownhammer, offers the same value for the money as Dr B. You get a TON of mic placements, tons of mixes (hyper real!), and a ton of documentation. The names of the files tell you all you need to know - no need for bulk renaming (thank you!). Most importantly - they sound outstanding. He manages to capture not only compressed punch, but fat vintage sounds as well.
I really like the fact that while others are offering "nice shiny brand new" cabinets/pictures... Dr B offers REAL cabs. some rips and tears in the pictures... maybe not exactly pretty... but the photos are as real as the irs you get.
this cab has several variations on each mic. Each speaker (all 8!) is sampled as well as some rear/distant samples. Well organized. Top notch.
If there is a downside, It would have to be that honestly, I don't think the demos on the site do the captures justice. had a hard time really HEARING the cab in the demo, but this is just one moron's opinion so... take it for what it is.
Dr B. = more please!
Have you ever tried something from Valhallir.at? Just for curiosity...

I have some free stuff from them but haven't. Probably only a matter of time b4 I try something over there and will def review when I do.

oh... almost forgot... Peavey Revalver... if you are always on the hunt for more like me... here's a tip: you can get revalver basic for free. Just go to peavey and download. Comes with a few amps and tons of 'demo only' amps in hopes that you'll buy licenses from peavey (honestly one of the great vst modelers). All that said... with the install, if you go to the program data folder you can find a bunch of free irs in .ogg format. I copied these and converted to .wav and auditioned them in axefx. It's easy to see how this vst get a rep for having bad ir. they sample at 0, 2 and 7 inch for everything. 7 inches sound great for a 121 or 4033 but an sm57? for that reason you get lots of irs that sound like crap but if you dig through/audition there are some excellent examples in there. tripleXXX, budda, JSX - lots of good stuff, and my fav price - FREE!

and another thing... if anyone knows of other resources (paid, I have EVERYTHING free) for strange/rare impulses... preferably the small guy, and preferrably vintage-type: I'm all ears.

I have been on a mission to find IRs of Weber speakers. So far I have found their Blue Dog 12" (RedWirez) and their Blue Pup 10" (OwnHammer), but I am always looking for more.

right on Joe. I have not specifically looked for them so am not sure if I've happened across but will keep my eye's open. What drew you to weber? Have you owned one and liked it or... some recording had a good sound from it? (curious)

Also... side note: have tried Leon Todd's WGS green beret and Veteran... available for free here on the forum. Right up my alley as not the typical and WGS boasts that these are closer to the original vintage spec speakers. Some good stuff there for sure.

What drew you to weber? Have you owned one and liked it or... some recording had a good sound from it? (curious)
I was friends with Ted, and somewhere buried on a legacy content page from their original website, my name is in the "thank you to contributors" list for insights that helped Ted initially develop Weber speakers next to greats such as Joe Pampel of Obsolete Electronics fame (a short-lived boo-teek transformer company that made great Marshall-style output transformers, of which I have 3). I was using his kit amp chasses/cabs as a starting point for my own line of amps in 2008, but the economy took a nosedive just as I started assembling my prototypes, and suddenly starting up selling expensive tube amps looked like a really good way to go broke. Prototype #2, "Dala", sister amp to "Simone", still sits on my amp cradle half assembled, awaiting the unboxing of my workbench (after three moves since then) to be completed....
20190923_124835.jpg

Last edited:
right... so you play a tele then. got it (hehe). i have lotsa guitfiddles... but the tele def has a special place in my heart and also suggest something about the player (I don't know what... but something).

Have you ever tried something from Valhallir.at? Just for curiosity...
I'm glad you asked this... it forced me to reconsider Valhallir. Kind of passed them by because they were (I thought) "just metal". Not that I have anything against metal... love me some... but one man can only have so many soldano cab impulses (amIright?). Was looking again and stumbled across this:
https://valhallir.at/en/shop/810y1968/
omg this is right up my alley. 8 x 10" 10watt speakers??? sign me up. I'm all over it! will let you know when I have a chance to check it out and thanks again for the push.

snap, that will pair nicely with the ada mp1 tonematch from @2112 ! The MP1 has a special place in my heart too... have owned an mp1 twice and thought a lot about an mp2 at one point. nothing like mn3007 chorus!
Gonna enjoy these, relive some 80's rocker days... (gonna need some spandex - hehe). Thank you so much for posting.

and another thing... if anyone knows of other resources (paid, I have EVERYTHING free) for strange/rare impulses... preferably the small guy, and preferrably vintage-type: I'm all ears.
fwiw, most all of the IR makers are small guys, usually one man doing it all. ML, Ownhammer, etc. Sure they may get hired by a bigger company to shoot a specific thing, but most of the time it's just one guy doing what he loves.

fwiw, most all of the IR makers are small guys, usually one man doing it all. ML, Ownhammer, etc. Sure they may get hired by a bigger company to shoot a specific thing, but most of the time it's just one guy doing what he loves.
fair enough... I was going to say "unpopular" but thought that might be insulting! hehe. Really just meant 'stuff that is off the beaten path'.

Just noticed that Lancaster also has the SuperDrive IR which is the real amp I was using before Fractal.

Had never heard of Lancaster before... Apparently a couple of the guys who started Rosen left and created 3 Sigma and Rosen changed their name to Lancaster.

I've heard good things about the 3 Sigma bass IRs. The handful of guitar cab IRs I bought from them before were not impressive to me at all...

Hmmm... :)

Back
Top Bottom